It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What If Goldilocks Moves

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Hey everyone I was doing a little thought experiment the other day and came up with a theory about our solar system. Please keep in mind that this is just a personal theory and I am by no means an expert just a huge fan of abstract thinking! Anyways the point is I was thinking about Mars and how it's atmosphere has been stripped and the fairly accepted theory that it once supported life much as our own planet. If this is actually the case then wouldn't that mean Mars's location in regards to the sun was at one time the Goldilocks position. Due to this I propose that Mars lost it's atmosphere due to changes in the sun that made it's location to harsh for life as we know it while simultaneously reaching the conditions necessary to make earths orbital location the new sweet spot. I also think this process will keep slowly continuing to happen potentially maybe even causing the gas giants to change. Like I said no expert just a thought

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
The concept of a habitable zone has changed a lot with knowledge we now have of extremophiles -organisms that live in "extreme environments," under high pressure and temperature. We have found organisms thriving on hot water vents on the ocean floor. A habitable zone requires an energy source, of any source, to liquefy water. It doesn't have to be a certain distance from the sun. For example: Europa is heated from the stress of Jupiter pulling more strongly on one side of the moon than the other. Because of this, scientists believe a liquid ocean lies under the surface ice and a possibility of life.

We may never know what happened to Mars' atmosphere, but I doubt it has something to do with the habitable zone and there isn't just one "goldilocks" position around the sun
. Very interesting thought though.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: TheLC

Thanks for the response! I've done a limited amount of research into the extremophiles and there potential to be found on other planets but I know I've got a lot more to learn. I was more specifically referring to things like foliage, life forms with similar make up as our own, and the atmosphere needed to support it. As in the sun is changing like everything else and over billions of years it will eventually at one point or another caused each planet to go through existing as potentially several of the different types of planetary conditions we know of

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure Mars is still in the classical "goldilocks " zone for our system but due to the loss of a molten and active core (heat) and the weakened gravitational forces it lost it's atmosphere to solar winds. This is more of a topic for Jadestar and the other astrobiologists and astronomers here though as I am by no means qualified in this field as much as Jadestar is assisting to educate this old dog.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Kukri

See already learned something new! I didn't know mars was potentially still in the sweet spot.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   

I guess that's why most people favor a major shtf situation happened there

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Luca1664

See already learned something new! I didn't know mars was potentially still in the sweet spot.

Don't hold me to that as I'm not certain but I remember seeing something about it in the distant past. If I am wrong I'm sure I'll be set straight soon enough.

Also Mars does still have an atmosphere, just not a very hospitable one by our standards.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Thanks looks like I got some research to get to!

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 03:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Luca1664

Science drives me nuts at times. A habital zone is only a habital zone, as we prescribe it, for humans.

That set of parameters could be deadly for any other species out there. If there are any.

Why is science, In this field, so short sighted and blinkered???

Regards

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: drevill

I view it as two separate issues. The search for places suitable for us and the search for life in general though they cross paths are two very different things and both should be pursued with the same diligence.

new topics

top topics

join