It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Subtle Sarcasm/Dry Humor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I would like to see who out there is like me. Particularly in terms of my sense of humor, and my default mode of operation. Namely, detached sarcasm and dry humor. That's a big part of who I am. And it's a really funny way of being and relating with others. Because, the thing about that type of humor is it's subtle. Sometimes you kind of gotta think about it, or just be able to really detect subtle nuances. I personally love this type of humor. I always appreciate it when I hear it.

Sometimes, people really get it and have that humor and will find little offhand remarks I make hilarious. Perhaps more often, people don't even get that I'm joking. And to me, that just makes it more funny yet. Like I'll be being so sarcastic, and ironic in some way, and people just totally don't even get what I'm doing. Now very often there's a point being made in the way I'm using sarcasm. So, to give an example, I may say the opposite of what I think in a sarcastic way, which points out what seems to me an obvious problem with that way of thinking. And I think the absurdity of it both drives home the point and makes it clear that I don't actually think that. And it seems to me quite clear I'm being sarcastic. But people will just totally think I mean it. And that's often hilarious to me. It just adds to it really.

Much of the point of this type of humor is utilizing subtlety, often in an over-the-top way. It's a type of humor that can be appreciated, but will often totally not be understood. It's definitely a legitimate 'type' of humor. It's the main type of humor I for instance in appreciate in TV shows and movies. Any others out there share my love for this type of humor?
edit on 2-2-2015 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-2-2015 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: TheJourney

I’m not sarcastic. I’m just intelligent beyond your understanding.

Sarcasm, because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Tell me… Is being stupid a profession or are you just gifted?

Sarcasm is great .

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 02:51 AM
link   

It also has the downside of being misrepresented in historic quotes, especially by those attempting to deliberately alter the original intent. It takes 'out-of context' to it's highest levels.

I try to end those kind of comments with the double 'positive', yeah right.....

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 03:08 AM
link   
I tend to be more deadpan, which often gets mistaken for just being rude, My last girlfriend didn't really get it.
I always found myself apologising To her all the time
Deadpan humor is one of the most complex and to many enigmatic comedy styles as only a select few truly understand it enough to appreciate it for it's brilliance ...
edit on 2-2-2015 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 03:18 AM
link   
I am like that, well I used to be. I have toned it down a lot, mostly because no one understood me, not that they do now. Most of the threads that I have started on ATS were purely sardonic posts in response to other threads. Most people didn't get that. I learned that if I am lucky, one person in the whole thread might get it, maybe.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Yes I'm very much like this. Some people don't get it. I can come across as being rude. Then I have to say it was just a joke. I'm british so I'm humorous by nature. My Dad is really funny and that's how I was raised.

Sometimes I'm cracking a joke at inappropriate times though. Well I don't really care when I'm doing it, just lighten up.

Some people have no sense of humour.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 05:21 AM
link   

S & F

I'm 100% with you on that one ... and it's not a sarcasm of course.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Everyone was terrified of Doug. He used sarcasm.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I have no idea what you are talking about.

(not available on mobile)

new topics

top topics

join