It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disshonest Company

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: FyreByrd

All which would have been legally outlined if they had a signed contract.

Contracts are there to protect people and businesses from such behavior. Failing to get one is no one's fault except the contractor.

Caveate Emptor, eh. Businesss can do no wrong. And the contract is sacred. (as long as the business can change the terms at will, but not other parties). That my friend, and I use the word as a title, is Evil. Taking advantage of a person or smaller business, just because you can do so with no consequences is the Evil of capitalism.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

Caveate Emptor, eh.

This was not the buyer needing to beware but the lesson is similar.

Businesss can do no wrong.

Who said that? You?

Businesses can do wrong , hence the reason you want a signed contract.

And the contract is sacred.

Contract law in the United States has great protections for years of legal precedent.

Taking advantage of a person or smaller business, just because you can do so with no consequences is the Evil of capitalism.

Taking advantage of people is not a hallmark of any system, it is human behavior.

And I am not quite sure what your solution is besides your silly rhetoric. Do you just want to have them spit on their palms and shake on it?

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Do you just want to have them spit on their palms and shake on it?

That is the way things work in the construction trade in the U.K AugustusMasonicus a handshake and a promise because at the end of the day , a man is only as good as his word and the promise part is returning at night to wreck the job with a hammer , that is the way it is
we are all odd fellows really

edit on 2/2/2015 by douglas5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: wwe9112

My friend, you're not alone in your experience.

I am a computer programmer that has specialized in a tool called PeopleSoft for the past twenty years.

I was sub-contracting to a rather large, and well known company. In those geek households such as my own, it is a household name. I'm not going any further into that aspect of things.

I accepted a contract to do, oh, let's just say dishwashing... and I was told that the contract was going to start that upcoming monday morning. The contract stated that they would reimburse for expenses at 100%. Well, given the short notice, I dropped $300 on a ticket and got reservations at a low end hotel (I'm not fancy) near the worksite. This was Wednesday. On Friday, I'm informed that the start date is being pushed back one week.

At this point, where I was able to cancel the reservation for the hotel, not so lucky with airline ticket. So, I'm down $300.

I show up at the sit the following monday. I quickly realize that even though I was told I was going to be washing dishes, what they REALLY wanted was a tree surgeon. They were upset about this. They interviewed me and asked me questions about dishwashing. They hired me. Yet, they were upset I was not a tree surgeon. Luckily though, I do know something about bonsai tree keeping, and I was able to do the work they needed. I put in 40 hrs. I was due to be paid $3000. For dishwashing

The week I was there, I spent roughly $800 on hotel-no-tell, airfair, and food. Actually, pretty cheap if you ask me, or anyone else that travels professionally.

I was unable to get the PM to sign my worksheet on Thursday. Friday morning, once back home, I get a phone call from PM. They explain that I have been found to be insufficient for their needs, and was not wanted back.

Fast forward...

The subbing firm I was going through informs me that REALLY WELL KNOWN IT firm has said they're not paying anything for the time I was there. Apparently, they asked for apples, interviewed for apples, but ACTUALLY WANTED an orange. So they're not paying for anything.

I paid, in good faith, $1100 for travel expenses that was to be reimbursed. I performed 40 hours of work, and at the hourly rate was due to see $3000 (on a 1099, not W2 or c2c) for that work.

The subbing firm "felt bad for me", so they cut me a check for $1100 to reimburse me for my expenses. W00t. I've since gotten a 1099-misc (#7, Nonemployee Compensation) for that $1100.

Yepp, I now have to PAY FRAKKING TAXES on the $1100 "income" I got (actually, reimbursement for money I paid to GET THERE to do the work) for my federal tax return.

And the $3000? GONE. Vapor. Just like my week and 40 hours of honest work that I performed.

When dealing with corporations of any size...and a fair portion of the human populace...remember one thing.

Don't drop your soap.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join