It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Pentagon Announces Some Units To Be Called Up For Mideast Duty

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Saying that the troop increase would be reversed after the Iraqi election, the Pentagon has announced a partial list of which units will make up the US force in Iraq and Afghanistan in 2005. Openly criticizing Rumsfeld on a Radio show, Senator John McCain, a war veteran, stated "We've got to have more troops over there. We've made serious mistakes at the beginning, and we're paying a heavy price for it." referring to the lack of troops and supplies.

www.wistv.com
(National-NBC) Dec. 15, 2004 - The Pentagon has announced which units will make up the US force in Iraq and Afghanistan next year. Soldiers from the 101st Airborne, based at Fort Campbell, Kentucky; the Tenth Mountain Division, based at Fort Drum, New York; and the 48th Infantry Brigade of the Georgia Army National Guard will make up much of that force.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I for one am not a war backer, however since the decision was made to go to war, and invade a foreign country, that every single effort to win it decisively, and quickly should be made.
It is a fact that there were not enough troops or supplied to accomplish this goal. What the US government has done thus far is to create a quagmire that will take many many years to crawl out of if more troops are not sent there to finish the job once and for all.

[edit on 15-12-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   

I for one am not a war backer, however since the decision was made to go to war, and invade a foreign country, that every single effort to win it decisively, and quickly should be made.

Not true, Superdude. That makes you a war backer!

Why is it that having made one massive miscalculation and mistake we have to compound it by continuing down the same road and make a long series of additional mistakes? You say we have to "win it decisively"? What does that mean? What will it look like to have "won" this? The world is becoming more dangerous for Americans and every other inhabitant, man and beast, by the day! Much of the blame is on America. I don't see that as positive or as a "win" in any sense. Intimidation, brutality, torture, and deadly force are not a recipe for world peace.

[edit on 15-12-2004 by dubiousone]

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Hi dubiousone

Why is it that having made one massive miscalculation and mistake we have to compound it by continuing down the same road and make a long series of additional mistakes?

The biggest mistakes thus far are severely underestimating the opposition. With the amazingly speedy "Desert Storm" war, I'm assuming that Rumsfeld thought we wouldn't need everything it turns out we need. More troops, better equipped is indeed what is needed to finish what was started.

You say we have to "win it decisively"? What does that mean?

Simply put, When our brave men and women can come home. Vietnam is a perfect example of not winning. When the powers that be over there who are continuing the fighting in Iraq sign the treaty of unconditional surrender
or are captured, that is IMO a decisive win.

The world is becoming more dangerous for Americans and every other inhabitant, man and beast, by the day! Much of the blame is on America.

Yes it is getting more dangerous. Much of the blame is on the leadership of Americans, not her people.

Not true, Superdude. That makes you a war backer!

Ouch! That hurt. Truly, I am not a war backer, but I do support our troops.

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Being an Air Force Vet. I feel that since we "Own the Night" so to say, we have to go in and crush the insurgency now if we are not too late. I feel we(U.S.) may have let precious time slip away while those in D.C. have been trying to manage this war out of an armchair. For reason's I'm not quite sure of, we should have had a handle on this much sooner. Only in America can we can be assured our Marines, Army, A.F.. and National Guard are being placed in harms way and being killed due to the Rumsfeld's ineptness and GW's micro-management style. And by the way, if any of those spooks drop by for a look see, get our men and women the right tools to do the job safely so they can get back home in ONE PIECE!!!

top topics

join