It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fighting hunger one lunch bag at a time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   
A viral social movement aimed at feeding the hungry is taking its cue from an old-school technique: Packing a brown bag lunch, tucking a sweet note inside, and handing it out to the people who need it most.

Four young people got the idea for HashtagLunchbag on Christmas of 2012. A few friends packed a few lunches and handed them out to homeless people in southern California.

They took pictures and posted them to Facebook, Twitter and Instagram which started a social movement that's now gone global: People have held HashtagLunchbag events in more than 100 cities on five continents.

This excerpt is from their about page:

#HashtagLunchbag was born on Christmas Day 2012 in a Los Angeles apartment with just a small group of friends. The intent was simple, to prepare and deliver a hearty and well-balanced meal to our local homeless community. We all chipped in a few bucks before taking a quick trip to the grocery store and purchasing a few goodies. We invited over a few more friends to help assemble the lunch bags, blasted some music, and then hit the streets.

Not uncommon for this day and age, we decided to share our experience via social media and crafted the unique #HashtagLunchbag tag. Before we knew it, other friends starting asking about #HashtagLunchbag and requesting invites to the next outing. That’s when we knew we were on to something BIG and we had to make this an ongoing event.

Living in an era where digital media reigns and word-of-mouth chatter quickly spreads, we realized that our grassroots effort had the potential to go viral. In less than two years, hundreds of volunteers have helped us to spread the #HashtagLunchbag movement. We have learned that everyone has the power to share good deed experiences with friends and followers, subsequently encouraging them to also pay it forward.

Our ongoing goal is inspire others around the world to join us in our journey to Feed and Feel Love. We truly believe that small actions, from lots of people, can empower BIG change.

Please note I am not affiliated with this group in any way. I just think that it's a wonderful thing they are doing.

Their website

Their Facebook page
edit on 1/27/2015 by N3k9Ni because: typo

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   
This is awesome! If everyone shared everything than everyone would have everything! Good to see an act of love taken to higher levels.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   
It's a good idea, but you shouldn't use the term "brown bag" it's potentially racist and offensive.

See how they use the term lunchbag?

But yes, this is a good way to get involved. Much, much better than simply giving a homeless person cash. I've heard of folks who carry a bag of apples in their car to hand out over cash. Cash can be used to buy drugs or alcohol, but food is something they use specifically to eat. Some people even tuck shelter and aid org info inside their bags.
edit on 27-1-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I agree with your sentiment but I disagree about the judgement not all homeless will buy drugs or alcohol if given cash and by you judging what they need thinking the apple being a healthy option or whatever. they may need a warm meal they may want a sandwich from mcdonalds or something. Dont put people into a caregory everybody has a story.

sorry not trying to pick a fight. its just something I am kind of passionate about. and I have heard that kind of thought before.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I can definitely see where " brown bag" might be a problem.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   

It's a good idea, but you shouldn't use the term "brown bag" it's potentially racist and offensive.

If we continue to listen to those who scream about racist terminology, we will have to find a new language eventually.

I am just sick and tired of the unmitigated moronic twits that come up with this PC nonsense.

A brown lunch bag is a bloody brown bag with lunch in it.

Just so much crap, piles on piles until every word becomes offensive to someone somewhere.

To the OP, there are some places in the mighty US where it is illegal to feed the needy so I wonder how this would go there.

P

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I hope you are joking...

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: tinker9917

Someone's gonna get Teabagged with a Lunchbag..

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Hope this caring spreads throughout.

originally posted by: tinker9917

originally posted by: ketsuko

I hope you are joking...

Hoped that was a joke too when first hearing about it. Maybe in Seattle, where officials had the issue with the term, will look past this nonsense.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Our high schoolers have started a program of feeding the children on the weekends. We have a lot of struggling workers here who live pay check to pay check. Lack of food for children when school is not in, is a real problem.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: N3k9Ni

yes it is and god love them ..... but its probley illegal now and they shall have to pay heavy fines lol

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 12:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: sweets777
a reply to: N3k9Ni

yes it is and god love them ..... but its probley illegal now and they shall have to pay heavy fines lol

yeah thats next...and no doubt some poor soul will be shot or killed by a chokehold over feeding the poor

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

i know remember when america used to be free

new topics

top topics

join