It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll Finds - Majority still support single-payer option

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   
While polls are showing the people of the US of A want the single payer option AKA Medicare for all, there seems to be more interest in expanding Medicaid through Obmacare.

More than five years after the single-payer system was scrapped from ObamaCare policy debates, just over 50 percent of people say they still support the idea, including one-quarter of Republicans, according to a new poll.

The single-payer option – also known as Medicare for all – would create a new, government-run insurance program to replace private coverage. The system, once backed by President Obama, became one of the biggest casualties of the divisive healthcare debates of 2009.

The idea remains extremely popular among Democrats, with nearly 80 percent in support, according to the poll, which was shared first with The Hill by the Progressive Change Institute.

source

Also in todays news:

Red States Are Reinventing Medicaid to Make It More Expensive and Bureaucratic

ince the implementation of the Affordable Care Act’s Medicaid expansion in 2014, 23 states have refused the federal money to offer health insurance to their low-income residents, depriving almost 4 million people of coverage. Slowly, some of the holdout red states are finding a way to say yes, but only if they can claim a conservative twist on expanding coverage. Tennessee last week became the latest state to release details on a proposal for its own unique version of Medicaid expansion via a waiver of Medicaid rules (known as an 1115 waiver). "We made the decision in Tennessee nearly two years ago not to expand traditional Medicaid," Gov. Bill Haslam, a Republican, has said. "This is an alternative approach that forges a different path and is a unique Tennessee solution.”

Versions of Haslam’s statement are common among Republican lawmakers who have negotiated with the Obama administration to pursue this path: They’re willing to accept Obamacare money so long as they can plausibly sell it as not Obamacare, and they want to use their leverage to attach conservative reform ideas to Medicaid. At the Washington Post, Sarah Kliff has called these measures “making Medicaid more Republican.” Arkansas, Iowa, Michigan and Pennsylvania have already advanced unique versions of Medicaid expansion thanks to waivers that feature GOP-backed wrinkles to the program; Indiana has submitted a waiver pending approval from the federal Department of Health and Human Services, while Tennessee, Wyoming and Utah have developed proposals after active negotiations with the feds; and lots of other states are taking a look, including North Carolina, Georgia, and even Texas.

source

So where will this go will they change over to a single payer option or simply expand the cursed Obamacare?

My opinion is more they will just keep expanding Obummer care. ):

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
He got the votes running on a single payer system and then scrapped that almost immediately and made it an insurance company payout instead. I'm not at all surprised that many people still support a single payer system (sucks being born with chronic health issues in USA, trust me!)

Maybe in the future it can become single payer, but it won't be Obamacare (or ACA) anymore.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Elton

I think it is about time for the US to adopt a single payer system and universal health care. The rest of the the industrialized world has some sort of universal health care.

The problem is it will bankrupt the health insurance industry, which is not a problem to the common citizen. It is a problem because they are such an industry giant that they can use their lobbyist and other tricks to essentially write legislation in their favor.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Bull snip.

Seriously telling me the 'majority' supports a government monopoly on a corporate product called healthcare ?

There is no such thing as 'single' payer.

Medicare for all was that kind of sick GD joke ?

That is THE worst health care coverage a person can get.

No dental.

No vision.

The way medicare is funded now employers pay. Employee pays, that doesn't cover the benefits received.

So what the current administration solution to that ?

The GD medicare SUR TAX on capitol gains.

Considering how the government runs medicare,medicaid, and the VA.

I don't want them near my healthcare with a GD ten foot pole.

And that is about a ANTI FREE MARKET as one can get.

Stop screwing around with business's.

Ya want to point fingers at someone point them at politicians.

With their regulation,taxation, and malpractice insurance.

Hell let's go the full 'miracle' mile here, and tell the real story.

Between medicare, and medicaid the US government is the largest healthcare insurer in the country with over 100 million people on them.

Now payroll taxes is suppose to fund medicare, and that program is running massive deficit.

Simply meaning it spends far too much than it takes in. That is why the medicare surtax was created.

But it still doesn't cover the spending shortfall.

Since I wasn't asked If i supported the 'single' payer that polls is crock.

Neither were a lot of others.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Since I wasn't asked If i supported the 'single' payer that polls is crock.

OIC

Edit: So there you have it fellow ATSers If Neo is not polled the polls are to be considered a crock!

Deny Ignorance
edit on 20-1-2015 by AlaskanDad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I never got polled either.

Hmmm.

new topics

top topics

join