It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elon Musk Wants To Bring The Internet To Mars

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
a reply to: shaneslaughta

Even if the beam is constant and unbroken? I mean a continuous dedicated system that is always on.

It still won't make it go any faster is what he's getting at. That system would prevent packet loss over the the whole connection from point A to point B, but it won't actually amplify the speeds.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

originally posted by: yuppa
a reply to: shaneslaughta

Even if the beam is constant and unbroken? I mean a continuous dedicated system that is always on.

It still won't make it go any faster is what he's getting at. That system would prevent packet loss over the the whole connection from point A to point B, but it won't actually amplify the speeds.

~Tenth

Aren't researchers looking into Quantum entanglement technology(ies) for faster forms of communicatiion(s). If so, that would be a good solution to this problem.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

It would, but that's a WHOLE other ballgame.

The trick is finding two particles that are entangled. The odds of that apparently are in the trillions to 1.

It's usually called Superluminal Communication

Lots of good stuff there.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: combatmaster

Isnt he getting a little ahead of himself?

I mean, first get some oxygen in the air, im sure the wifi can wait.

No point, the oxygen will fly off, not enough gravity, too much solar wind, air pressure one hundredths of Earth's.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: pikestaff

So why go to mars? wouldnt it b more economical to invest in our own planet?

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: pikestaff

No point, the oxygen will fly off, not enough gravity, too much solar wind, air pressure one hundredths of Earth's.

Terraforming Mars is possible, though it would take a few generations.
If my youngest kid has her way, she'll be the person in charge of Martian botany projects (most importantly, growing their food) Given some time, our youngest kids today will figure out how to flood the atmosphere with oxygen generated from those plants, and the engineers & atmospheric scientists will figure out how to keep it there. Give the kid credit, she's got a high bar set at just 5 already

edit on 1/18/2015 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Well if you can restart the core of mars you might get it able to hold oxygen,but if not see if you can increase the planets rotation. Making something as massive as a moon and having it orbit close could increase the core temp of the planet due to tidal forces. all not possible with our current level of tech.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   

yes Bigfoot is missing facebook and youtube no doubt

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   
What about a series of relay stations between here and Mars that can boost and pass along a signal? Once it reaches Mars, they could have an array of geosynchronous satellites for transmission to the surface?

Also, I imagine quantum entanglement will be used as a form of communication over long distances in the solar system in the future...

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Relays will only serve to keep the integrity of the connection, it wont actually increase the speed at which the signals travel.

That would be like me saying a few more gas stations along the route will make my Ferrari faster.

I am not sure if i have really discussed this before on here but i am quite interested in radio communications. My dad was a ham radio operator and so i inherited some of that from him. Mix it up with modern computing and i am in my glory like a pig in bleep.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

maybe they could bounce a msg off moon once in a while then like old days

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: pikestaff

yes; in 300,000 years the oxygen on Mars (were it to have an earth-like atmosphere) would recede to where it is now due to loss to space. but 300,000 years is longer than humans have been ground walkers. it presumes zero efforts at maintenance of the atmosphere. Mars is red for a reason. it's rusty. which means oxides which means oxygen. plus we could be bringing in proverbial icebergs of it from the kuiper belt and Oort clouds. the big problem on mars is the gravity. repatriating expatriates would require large rotating orbital stations with full medical facilities including physical therapy units. Basically you need an orbiting city or else anyone returning to earth after an extended stay would die.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   
basically all that would be needed for an earth to Mars internet would be a new internet protocol that can handle the lag time and a relay satellite or two to prevent blackouts due to orbital mechanics between sun and mars and earth.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Mars can be upgraded anytime

with/without cable

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   

It would seem like it but we do not know what he knows.

Perhaps he is trying to tell us something.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Tucking this away for my theory that New Horizons is actually a relay station for making contact past what we could make from Earth. Mars might be the intermediary repeater.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join