It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 years free community college and jobless figures...political play?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Ok...must be a day for my conspiracy hat because I am having fun with them today.

I was reading a thread about the new proposed plan of giving 2 free years of community college and it got me thinking about the jobless market.

I am wondering if this move is more political than anything else. There could be ample argument over who will win the next election, republican or democrat I think.

Now if this goes into effect and is passed prior to the current administration leaving office and 2 years of free college is offered to all high school graduates, it effectively extends the "unemployment" status of all those individuals out 2 more years while not REALLY giving them any advantage in the job market. It could be argued, I guess, that any form of higher education will afford more opportunity in the market, but I have not seen any figures on 2 years of community college doing such.

So it postpones the "unemployed" status of all these individuals by two years, then once they get out, and the job market is the same as now, they effectively flood the market with unemployed under the current administration of the time.

Could there possibly be a generalized conspiracy by the current democratic administration (knowing that the likely win will be a republican administration at the end of this term) to allow these numbers to happen for political reasons just to make the unemployment rates under republican (or other) rule one that is so large as to only allow a single republican term and possibly house and senate as well?

Like I said....just a crazy conspiracy that popped into my head on it.
edit on 1/9/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Of course it's a political ploy. Do you think a politician is going to propose something for the benefit of society? There are always ulterior motives.

My thoughts are that it would expand government further and make society even more dependent as well as help the already education heavy democratic base (Read Colleges who will increase tuition even further because no one will care since it's "Free" now). Your thoughts have merits as well.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I say this ploy is 100% political.

If Obama was genuine about the social impact, he would have pressed this years ago.

The unemployment and voter parts are probably the real reasons.

Another could have something to do with the waves of illegal immigrants.

Obama is systematically wrecking the Democrat Party, so I assume this will end up to be yet another failure among thousands of failures.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: PsychoEmperor

Of course it's a political ploy. Do you think a politician is going to propose something for the benefit of society? There are always ulterior motives.

My thoughts are that it would expand government further and make society even more dependent as well as help the already education heavy democratic base (Read Colleges who will increase tuition even further because no one will care since it's "Free" now). Your thoughts have merits as well.

Ah...I see where you are going with that. It would be two fold in this scenario....effectively making those that take up this offer utilize the government on a more dependent level than ever before, especially if they find themselves unemployed once out of the 2 free years of college.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

If Obama was genuine about the social impact, he would have pressed this years ago.

Obama is systematically wrecking the Democrat Party, so I assume this will end up to be yet another failure among thousands of failures.

Yeah...I thought about the illegal immigrant play on this as well. That would also allow for a larger unemployment rate, assuming they are able to become citizens prior to.

I also wonder if this is going to be extended to ANYONE that wants to go to 2 free years of college, or solely recent high school graduates.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I don't think the democrats can do anything to win the presidency. Jeb has already been selected.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 9-1-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
I don't think the democrats can do anything to win the presidency. Jeb has already been selected.

That is what I am wondering....if this is a ploy to have the job market crash once these individuals get out of a free 2 years of college in the middle of the first term and can't get a job.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: olaru12

That is what I am wondering....if this is a ploy to have the job market crash once these individuals get out of a free 2 years of college in the middle of the first term and can't get a job.

The job market won't crash. Can't you hear the war drums? Jobs always increase in times of war with soldiers, support, manufacturing, Halliburton, KBR, Raytheon, etc. and all the rest of the profiteers just waiting already gearing up. Mark my words! It's a well established pattern. I'm surprised you don't see it!

Do you think this BS in France isn't orchestrated?
edit on 9-1-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   
That's an interesting take on the idea of offering free community college for 2 years. To delay unemployment for two more years? Could be. Could be he's in damage control because we have a whole host of retail companies shuttering stores this year. Online demand has hurt the mall stores:

www.msn.com...

JCPenney: Closing 40 stores
Macy's: Closing 14 stores
Wet Seal: Closing 2/3 of their 500+ stores
Deb: Closing 300 stores
Delias: Filing bankruptcy to close all of its stores
Aeropostale: 120 stores (children's stores closing 125)
Sears: Closing 235 stores
Radio Shack: Closing 1,100 stores

These employees are going to be flooding the unemployment market very soon!!
edit on 9-1-2015 by texasgirl because: punctuation error

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: texasgirl
That's an interesting take on the idea of offering free community college for 2 years. To delay unemployment for two more years? Could be. Could be he's in damage control because we have a whole host of retail companies shuttering stores this year. Online demand has hurt the mall stores:

www.msn.com...

JCPenney: Closing 40 stores
Macy's: Closing 14 stores
Wet Seal: Closing 2/3 of their 500+ stores
Deb: Closing 300 stores
Delias: Filing bankruptcy to close all of its stores
Aeropostale: 120 stores (children's stores closing 125)
Sears: Closing 235 stores
Radio Shack: Closing 1,100 stores

These employees are going to be flooding the unemployment market very soon!!

With the way things are going I see plenty more companies closing up some offices as well.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

LOL. The faulty logic would be hilarious if it wasn't driving this ship of fools onto the rocks of history.

The estimated cost for the Obama proposal is $6B for 10 years

The cost to incarcerate the US prison population is $50B per year

Who doesn't understand the benefits of education and the drain of incarceration on a society? Who doesn't believe a more educated population will result in a more functional more free society? Conservatives, that's who. They want to exert authority. All ways, big and small . Material, intellectual--as long as they feel they can make people do things or prevent people from doing things.

It's a cancer.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I do not think it will do much to employ anyone. It will only create more competition, but will not create jobs. Jobs are what is needed in my opinion. Look at countries where secondary education is free. There are doctors working at fast food places in some instances. I do think that the more educated the populace the better, as it means that there are more people who possess the skills and knowledge to improve things, but if these educated people are not employed then this knowledge does not help the nation, and may not really help the individual all that much.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   
It would be paid for with state lottery money. Tennessee already does this, that's why Obama made the announcement in TN.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Even though it would have helped me with my schooling (seeing as I myself have a 2-year Associates), I also know that the funding for such a plan has to come from someone's pocket, and we all know it's not our politicians. More than likely, it would be us.

I'd vote instead for the colleges to lower tuition to reasonable levels, so that the average Joe's like me can pay our loans off in our lifetime (not that I can't).

-fossilera

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Political play....yea.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

I would say your post is full of faulty logic.

So you are saying that the ones that graduate high school that don't go to college ALL end up in prison? There is nothing in higher education that keeps people out of prison. By the time you graduate high school you SHOULD know right from wrong and how NOT to break the law....college can't give you any more reasoning ability as far as right and wrong go. If you are in prison after high school, it is VERY likely you had run-ins with the law prior to that.....again, something education can't really do anything about.

new topics

top topics

join