It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Truth Behind Art

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
This is something a fellow pastime artist sent me late last year. It very true, and I think more people should realize this.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: IndependentOpinion
I actually don't think Art has anything to do with money at all.
That is why it is so beautiful.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I agree

As one of the avatar artists here on ATS (we work for free) but we still put in a hell of a lot of time, and passion into creating stunning avatars for fellow members.

You don't just get a free avatar on ATS you get a little piece of us.

It's all worth it just to think someone liked your take on their idea, and is prepared to be 'seen in public' wearing it.

Cody

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   

more artists, fewer mercenaries.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   

I'm stealing that to post elsewhere.

Indeed, art is so much more than just a picture or whatever the artist does to create it.
It is heart and soul and expression.

I'm working on a little painting that I have been doing now for about 5 months, just staring and then adding a line here and then staring for a week and adding a line there....a small canvas that has probably 1000+ hours into it.
(mostly staring at it lol)
I know when I am done, no matter what it looks like, or if anyone even likes it, I know it is a piece of my soul bleeding out on canvas, not just for me, but for anyone else who likes it.

s&f
edit on 7-1-2015 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I don't sell anything I create, I just draw for fun or out of boredom.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: cody599

Keep up the good work!! I really have respect for people that do this (creating avatars for free here on ATS)

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

I am the same way. The art I am working on, that is nearly finished, I am in a way forcing my brother to buy it. I just cand stand the thought of never seeing that painting again.

I don't really have steady income, so I have to make money through my art as well.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   

I have avoided selling anything since I started painting again.
I don't want to let them go.

I understand totally.

But if you got the talent, and people wanna buy it, and you need the money, go for it.
An alternative to selling the actual artwork is to have prints made and to sell those instead and keep the original.
often times an art gallery will be willing to help you do this for about 10% of any profits made.
Maybe look into that as a possibility.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Thanks man

Personally I do it to relax, and giving back to ATS is a bonus, it took me a very long time to find my home here, but finally I get to contribute to the community.

It's a win win situation

Cody

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

That is an excellent ideal! I do know that local art galleries ask between 20% and 25%!
But I can make a deal with my art mentor, I think...

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: cody599

Most of the time, for me it feels more like a Family than a community!!

I give you this Medal for a great contribution to this family!

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Im also an Artist.. of Two types.. I create paintings. And I write music.. and no its not all about the money its about having a heart to think of such creativeness and Imagination.Tnx for such a wonderfulbtopic

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Im also an Artist.. of Two types.. I create paintings. And I write music.. and no its not all about the money its about having a heart to think of such creativeness and Imagination.Tnx for such a wonderfulbtopic

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: peterzworld51

However, your second post was not very creative. Almost like you just copied your first reply. Oh, wait, I see now. Never mind.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 03:57 AM
link   
a reply to: peterzworld51

And it takes years before you really make money through paintings. Most people are not willing to buy paintings anymore, especially is you are not a well known artist like me.

top topics

join