It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We do not live in a materialist culture.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I think the OP is dead on, but since you are introducing definitions I would like to introduce an additional premise.

Solid matter does not exist, hence no materialism. Materialism is just an illusion.

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth
Attempts at twisting words is irrelevent to their meaning.

More idealistic thinking is required.

Dictionary

materialistic

adjective
excessively concerned with physical comforts or the acquisition of wealth and material possessions, rather than with spiritual, intellectual, or cultural values.
adhering to the philosophy of materialism, a theory that regards matter as constituting the universe and all its phenomena.

Idealistic
adjective

1. idealistic - of or relating to the philosophical doctrine of the reality of ideas
ideal
2. idealistic - of high moral or intellectual value; elevated in nature or style; "an exalted ideal"; "argue in terms of high-flown ideals"- Oliver Franks; "a noble and lofty concept"; "a grand purpose"

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

Solid matter does not exist, hence no materialism. Materialism is just an illusion.

From LesMis on page 1

The fact is, this culture is idealistic, and not materialist enough. We do not care for the material at all.

We are in LesMiserables playground - how can you say with a physical finger on keyboard Materialsim is an illusion - dare I say you must play nice. But I know what your'e going to say next - I'll beat you to it. You are a creation of my mind. You dont exist outside my consciousness. So I'll ask you again to please behave and play nice (hehe). I will have to unmanifest that youtube video.

I also like to play with Plato and his Materia

en.wikipedia.org...

According to Plato, the four elements are derived from a common source or prima materia (first matter), associated with chaos

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

Solid matter does not exist

I think I suspected as much when studying high school physics 40 years ago - what really made me start questioning this topic was the movie about Houdini and his quest for dematerialization (Tony Curtis mnovie - 1953)

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

We are in LesMiserables playground - how can you say with a physical finger on keyboard Materialsim is an illusion - dare I say you must play nice. But I know what your'e going to say next - I'll beat you to it. You are a creation of my mind. You dont exist outside my consciousness. So I'll ask you again to please behave and play nice (hehe). I will have to unmanifest that youtube video.

Because from my standpoint, having been a lucid dreamer for many years, and also consciously practicing OBE's this is not the only reality where things/materials have the illusion of being solid.

The reason I can say this is that I can't bring those objects back from my travels, but I can remember them and vice versa.

Hence they are manifestations of my/our consciousness and oneness.

Peace,

RT

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join