It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Push to lift raw milk ban in Australia despite the death of a child linked to the product

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   
This is a contentious issue.

Freedom of choice to feed yourself and your children what you think is best. Or pay attention to decades of science that has made a product less likely to infect consumers with naturally existent microbes/bacteria that can cause life threatening infections. Please nobody get into the genticsllt modified goods camp. This is not about that although I do also pay attention to it.

Here is the response from a company that sells raw milk. Please read the background before responding. Unfortunately we have dead toddlers due to infection that was directly caused from this product. Also prior to pasteurisation illness and death related to illness caused because of the harmful microbe matter within milk was more significant. We did solve this a long time ago.

Anyway I am interested to hear what everyone else thinks:

m.dailytelegraph.com.au... 61952045?nk=7cec56ec888622632b915a4d2d6c83e9

Imy view is that not all modern developments are good for society and its ongoing development but some things are.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   
a reply to: inquisitivenature

Its sad that a child has died from this cause but to ban fresh milk straight out of a dairy is also wrong. The ban was most likly put on in the first place by the big dairy companies to force people to buy their milk out of a shop and therefore buy the dairy companys product.

There's got to be a way to test a child for sensitivity to fresh milk.

As a kid on a dairy farm I was brought up on milk strainght out of the cow. Our mum would did a bucket into the vat and take to the house and that would be our milk for the next day or so. The crap that floated to the top wan't real brilliant but for so long as you didn't drink the thick bit that came out of the bottom of the bucket you were fine. We didint drink the thiick bit because we didn't know what it was and it tasted crappy.

Touch wood, I'm now 60+ and still rarely get sick.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 02:12 AM
link   

All you have to do is boil it, thanks to good old Louis Pasteur

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I don't remember them telling us the kid's name, where it happened, when it happened, and the lab that said the death was definitely from raw milk. Sorry just do not trust multinationals and media at all. They could tell us anything at all. A dairy farmer once told me that any problem with milk is usually caused through handling and distributing milk. The less handling and processing the better.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 02:56 AM
link   

the industrialization of the milk industry is what has prompted the need for pasteurization...it lasts longer and has less problems....man has been congesting raw milk since its inception.....

bacteria is mostly good for us i believe it is only about 10% of bacteria that is actually bad

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 02:59 AM
link   
a reply to: grumpy64

Well the dairy that made the milk has voluntarily recalled the product.

The child died of haemolytic uraemic syndrome, and a further 4 kids got sick too apparently.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 03:05 AM
link   
How old is the child, how long has he been drinking raw milk, and was he initially drinking pasteurized milk. Ive heard that people who grew up on pasteurized milk and then drink raw milk will get sick.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 03:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: muSSang

All you have to do is boil it, thanks to good old Louis Pasteur

exactly, when i was a boy,lol. i had to milk that damned cow before and after school, we would bring it to the boil (the milk not the cow)and strain it through fine cloth. we didnt die, infact we made our own butter cheese and yoghurt.
looking back on it i miss it now alot.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I think the whole problem with this stems from the fact this milk was labeled ' not for human consumption' or cosmetic purposes. Therefore the purchaser wouldn't know how its been handled/stored before buying. The shop or store would be under no regulations on how to handle it.

I personally think if you want raw milk grow a cow & milk it. I know many dairy farmers that drink it straight from the vat. Not my thing but each to their own. I'm not up with how to handle the stuff but im guessing without treatment it would have an extremely short shelf life.

Very sad for family who lost a child & others that became sick. But surely some responsibility is on whoever fed a child a product called Bath milk labeled for cosmetic purposes. Although apparently its quiet the common thing to do, black market raw milk!! I don't get it.

P:S your link is not working for me. But I've read numerous news articles on this story.
edit on 21-12-2014 by feelingconnected because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: inquisitivenature
This is a contentious issue.

Freedom of choice to feed yourself and your children what you think is best. Or pay attention to decades of science that has made a product less likely to infect consumers with naturally existent microbes/bacteria that can cause life threatening infections. Please nobody get into the genticsllt modified goods camp. This is not about that although I do also pay attention to it.

Here is the response from a company that sells raw milk. Please read the background before responding. Unfortunately we have dead toddlers due to infection that was directly caused from this product. Also prior to pasteurisation illness and death related to illness caused because of the harmful microbe matter within milk was more significant. We did solve this a long time ago.

Anyway I am interested to hear what everyone else thinks:

m.dailytelegraph.com.au... 61952045?nk=7cec56ec888622632b915a4d2d6c83e9

Imy view is that not all modern developments are good for society and its ongoing development but some things are.

This isn't a contentious issue at all. I can't bring up the link but from the post below the opening post, it appears the child was allergic to raw milk. If that's the case and they banned it, simply because no one knew the child had allergens. So why don't we ban honey, peanuts, gluten products, citrus fruits and kill all the bees while we're at it.

Yes it's unfortunate that a child died but allergies happen. It's not the fault of the product and this way of thinking is stone age. Many regulated foods have caused death but they don't ban the food. E Coli has killed hundreds world wide. Better habits and testing need to be developed.
edit on 21-12-2014 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

top topics

join