It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Silly Fortune Cookie Saying That Is Actually Interesting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
The other day I opened a Chinese fortune cookie, expecting to get a silly fortune to think about (as well as a yummy little cookie to chomp on). This is what my fortune said -

Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this planet.

Silly fortune cookie saying but also something to think about and have a discussion on.

Is life a privilege? Is being human an even greater privilege?
The Dalai Lama said that to be incarnated as human is rare.
So how'd we get so 'lucky' to be born human?
Do we 'owe' for the privilege of being here?
If so, what do we owe? Worship to a creator? Service to others?
Do we owe someone/something to do our best?

Some religions believe that suffering for others or for God 'pays' for the sins or bad karma of others. Could suffering in silence and in serenity in order to cleanse bad karma (collective karma) be a form of 'paying rent' and service to others?

Or is life just a crap shoot and we owe nothing? We didnt' ask to be born (that we know of). Life is a free gift and we owe the giver, if there is one, nothing at all?

What do you think? Does the fortune cookie have a point or is it just a silly fortune cookie and not worth another thought?

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Jainine

smell's more like insidious wordplay to get more tips, as if a bowl of rice isn't enough already

funbox

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this planet...in bed.

Sorry, but someone had to do it.

Actually, that was a pretty cool fortune cookie you got there. I like it. The rent we pay for this privilege is to take care of it.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Jainine

It sure beats the last fortune cookie I got, all it said was "404 not found."

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Kewl cookie. mine was not so Kewl.
"Wipe before you get up or the world will smell like crap"

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I went out to eat with my now ex husband when we were dating. His fortune cookie had no fortune in it. Should have seen thay as an omen....a reply to: DogMeat

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: PaigeD
I went out to eat with my now ex husband when we were dating. His fortune cookie had no fortune in it. Should have seen that as an omen....a reply to: DogMeat

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Fortune cookies aren't meant to be deep thinking, but sometimes you can look at the sayings from a different angle and suddenly you have something rather interesting to think about throughout the day.

(post by BigProblem removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jainine
The other day I opened a Chinese fortune cookie, expecting to get a silly fortune to think about (as well as a yummy little cookie to chomp on). This is what my fortune said -

Silly fortune cookie saying but also something to think about and have a discussion on.

The Dalai Lama said that to be incarnated as human is rare.
So how'd we get so 'lucky' to be born human?
Do we 'owe' for the privilege of being here?
If so, what do we owe? Worship to a creator? Service to others?
Do we owe someone/something to do our best?

Some religions believe that suffering for others or for God 'pays' for the sins or bad karma of others. Could suffering in silence and in serenity in order to cleanse bad karma (collective karma) be a form of 'paying rent' and service to others?

Or is life just a crap shoot and we owe nothing? We didnt' ask to be born (that we know of). Life is a free gift and we owe the giver, if there is one, nothing at all?

What do you think? Does the fortune cookie have a point or is it just a silly fortune cookie and not worth another thought?

So did you tell your server that when he/she came to get the tip?

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jainine

"Privilege" THIS planet?!?

For average common folks on the planet everywhere, the "privilege" of struggle, stress, pain, worry, hunger, disease, and slaving ones entire life just to barely get by hardly seems like a "privilege".

top topics

join