It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does time dictate free will?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I tried do this post before but had a little difficulty and finished prematurely. So I will start from the beginning, months ago I was wondering about time travel and what that would imply (in the traditional sense I think). If time does exist as a dimension wouldn't that mean that probability wouldn't be accountable anymore and thus rendering uncertainty, certain? In turn, making free will, an illusion and time travel pointless.

I should add that I know nothing about this subject and figured id ask.
Thanks ahead for any replies.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 01:51 AM
link   
It works like this. Tesla explained it the best imo but Einstein and Newton were also sharp with regards to knowing about how it works.

Basically, aether--radiant aether--is time or rather time actually doesnt exist but is merely a human perception that isn't correct. The past, present, and future are one but we view it as linear. What could be is infinite--thus exists free will. But time doesn't create it, no. Because time doesn't exist. More a flow of sorts I guess. Or a vibration, rather. Which is why space is interesting--is it just earth repeated over history? Like our galaxy and everything we know but that just one thing--ours. Imagine it repeated infinitely and that's what I believe space might be. Therefore, one could travel to different times or possibilities but wouldn't be able to really affect history unless one does it in all of them. Now i'm starting to confuse myself a bit lol. But yeah aether is everything because we are all just particles and nothing is really material.

Time has always been of great interest to me because the way we told time bothered me as a child. It seemed ridiculous to give such things numbers at all for some reason and while bored at age 8 i wrote a mini thesis while visiting family in mexico lol

And now, at age 23, I've done a lot of reading on the subject. Quantum particles = aether btw I can find some links if you're interested.

The one thing I'm bad at is understanding how they made up the equations. Math isn't my strong point haha
edit on 10-12-2014 by rukia because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 03:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: amsterdamn87
I tried do this post before but had a little difficulty and finished prematurely. So I will start from the beginning, months ago I was wondering about time travel and what that would imply (in the traditional sense I think). If time does exist as a dimension wouldn't that mean that probability wouldn't be accountable anymore and thus rendering uncertainty, certain? In turn, making free will, an illusion and time travel pointless.

I'm a time traveler in some ways. My mind seems to be capable to tapping "real time" into future or past events. But I can only see the future or past through the perception of people close to me.

It's some kind of telepathy. I can sometimes read the minds of people close to me but instead of getting current information, I'm getting either their past or future situation.

In this manner for example, I have accurately foreseen the arrival of our beloved pet, and also tragically foreseen her death.

Paradoxes of time travel doesn't seem to exist or probably because, I simply can't see if paradoxes actually happened if I decide to take a change of action due to perceived future events or to try to change the event itself.

To make it simple. YES, if you can see the future, you can change the future without seeing any paradox.

And about the concept of probability, this is something I found out independently.

Think about this scenario:

If you know everything, have perfect knowledge of the Universe, can think instantly, and can perceive everything at once, if someone threw a dice blindfolded, you will know exactly where it will land and which side ends upwards.

If you have this god-like all-knowing, all perceiving ability, you will have a 100% accurate representation of the future simply by extrapolating. Nothing will be uncertain/probable to you because you know exactly what will happen next.

Thus, uncertainty (or inaccuracy) is the product of ignorance, certainty is the product of knowledge.

Thus for the answer you're looking for:

Free-will is the product of knowledge. Bondage/lack of free-will is the product of ignorance. Without knowledge and foresight, you are at the mercy of nature, makes you no different from a robot and makes you highly predictable and easy to control.

It's not time that dictates free will but knowledge and the desire for knowledge.
edit on 10-12-2014 by johndeere2020 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I think the prevailing theory in regards to the possibility of time travel is multiverse theory. Once you go back in time you spawn an alternate timeline. Same with any other choice we'd make for that matter. Free will remains intact. One might say our free will is subject to probability, but we also have the ability to be spontaneous.

Also something to consider is that we're always moving forward on our own personal timeline, all the while gaining information. If we were to travel into the past it wouldn't be the same past, though I suspect that alternate timelines have the tendency to merge over time. Like the many bands of magnetic fields merging at + and -.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 03:39 AM
link   
a reply to: amsterdamn87

Free will is a program that allows new events to occur in time, preventing time from stopping all together.

There will always be "new events" that occur, they cause time to change from a position of affectation (outside of the realm of current experience) that encompasses all time and existing possibility - they render new pixels on the screen of infinity (being an inexhaustible supply), randomly and sporadically, another probability that has turned into possibility enveloped and encompassed into the "whole" presenting new experiences for all the participants in known existence.

These "events" (unpredictability) add new potential and prevent reality from reducing into nothing (complete predictability).

"Why" do these "new events" happen - because there are conscious beings that decide to try new things (make new decisions).

There is, however, the slim chance, that, for a single "moment" that there are not any new events occurring - this moment is commonly referred to as the "singularity" or others see it as "the end of times".

Can you believe, that there are beings that have survived these points of "nothing occurring" - they have advanced methodologies, allowing themselves to "resurrect" themselves after such an event.

"Free will" allows us to make choices as long as they are unique choices, as soon as you made the choice, reality reconstructs, and thus, although you were none the wiser, reality did change.
edit on 10-12-2014 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-12-2014 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 04:19 AM
link   
a reply to: rukia

I hate math too, ironically enough I want to start School for electric magnetics, which is partially what brought up the question. Im sure if you know about Tesla, than youve probably have heard of the Philadelphia experiment, im sure theres tons of threads on it. I would link it but on smartphone.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 04:30 AM
link   
a reply to: johndeere2020

You know what, I experience deja vu a lot (not so much lately) but they last for a few minutes and I can actually see ahead in time. The lapse is probably 2 or 3 seconds ahead but i can usually 'guess' whats about to happen. I have to admit that it always catches me off guard because there's no warning, I just get a funny feeling and go with it. There have been times though where it felt like no matter what I did, the actions felt like they were scripted, ( for lack of a better word)

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   

a reply to: johndeere2020

You know what, I experience deja vu a lot (not so much lately) but they last for a few minutes and I can actually see ahead in time. The lapse is probably 2 or 3 seconds ahead but i can usually 'guess' whats about to happen. I have to admit that it always catches me off guard because there's no warning, I just get a funny feeling and go with it. There have been times though where it felt like no matter what I did, the actions felt like they were scripted, ( for lack of a better word)

I don't think mine is deja vu.

If I'm gonna invent a word for it, it's called "temporal telepathy" which means I could tap into the minds of people either in the past or the future. But it's only limited to the people/animals I love.

I have tried experimenting it to prove the theoretical paradoxes of time.

Since you are interested in time travel, you should look into these paradoxes there are many academic/scientific theories out there.

But I haven't been able to prove they exist despite my successful efforts to change the foreseen future in little ways.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   

I also get this but I only know the next thing to happen and not several minutes ahead. I also get de ja vu of having de ja vu of having de ja vu and so on untill I make myself stop having it. It's freaky.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
There was a show on Nova some time ago, hosted by Brian Greene, called "The Fabric of the Cosmos: Illusion of Time".
here is an excerpt that blew my mind. Remember that relativity states that motion affects clocks. This is an effect of relativity over long distances that few if any regular people ever consider:

To see what I mean, think of spacetime as a loaf of bread. Einstein realized that, just as there are different ways to cut a loaf of bread into individual slices, there are different ways to cut spacetime into individual "now" slices.

That is, because motion affects the passage of time, someone who is moving will have a different conception of what's happening right now, and so they'll cut the loaf into different now slices. Their slices will be at a different angle.
DAVID KAISER: That person who's moving will, will tilt the knife, will be carving out these slices at a different angle. They won't be parallel to my slices of time.
BRIAN GREENE: To get a feel for the bizarre effect this can have, imagine an alien, here, in a galaxy 10-billion light years from Earth, and way over there, on Earth, the guy at the gas station. Now, if the two are sitting still, not moving in relation to one other, their clocks tick off time at the same rate, and so they share the same now slices, which cut straight across the loaf. But watch what happens if the alien hops on his bike and rides directly away from Earth. Since motion slows the passage time, their clocks will no longer tick off time at the same rate. And if their clocks no longer agree, their now slices will no longer agree either. The alien's now slice cuts across the loaf differently. It's angled towards the past. Since the alien is biking at a leisurely pace, his slice is angled to the past by only a miniscule amount. But across such a vast distance, that tiny angle results in a huge difference in time. So what the alien would find on his angled now slice—he considers as happening right now, on Earth—no longer includes our friend at the gas station, or even 40 years earlier when our friend was a baby. Amazingly, the alien's now slice has swept back through more than 200 years of Earth history and now includes events we consider part of the distant past, like Beethoven finishing his 5th Symphony: 1804 to 1808. And if that's not strange enough, the direction you move makes a difference, too. Watch what happens when the alien turns around and bikes toward Earth. The alien's new "now slice" is angled to…toward the future, and so it includes events that won't happen on Earth for 200 years: perhaps our friend's great-great-great granddaughter teleporting from Paris to New York. Once we know that your now can be what I consider the past, or your now can be what I consider the future, and your now is every bit as valid as my now, then we learn that the past must be real, the future must be real. They could be your now. That means past, present, future…all equally real; they all exist.
SEAN CARROLL: If you believe the laws of physics, there's just as much reality to the future and the past as there is to the present moment.

Taken from www.pbs.org...

So if is true that the future already exists, which it logically seems it should be, with a few givens (like relativity), then it would seem that in some sense free will is indeed an illusion.
edit on 10-12-2014 by demonhauntedworld because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-12-2014 by demonhauntedworld because: Added link.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   

the question the op is asking can not be answered until he describes which version of reality we live in.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
free will seems to be linked to a combination of Chaos and Order.

chaos and order are two kinds of nothingness...the two combined produce reality, complete with time and free will.
edit on 10-12-2014 by michaelbrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I don't know about the Tesla and Einstein theories on time travel but I would imagine that time is a force rather than a substance. If not a force or a substance, time that exists as malleable would have to be some other characteristic of existence with a motion to it that can be manipulated. This force or motion that must be manipulated in order to travel through time would have to be present in all existence much like the parts of an atom fill the entire universe. This force may not be known now or it may be known. Time exists in our dimension in a linear way. In another dimension it may exist in another way. That is my thought on time and how it could be malleated.

new topics

top topics

join