It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

bittorrent!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 05:24 PM
link   
have you heard of bittorrent, its a download manager with a differance because it uploads at the same time as downloading.
you can download a bittorrent client from

www.download.com...

you need to go to a bittorrent site were you search for things you want to download and then click them and they open in the client.

i like downloading prodrams, so if you find any good stuff please post them.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Yea, I use bittorrent all the time... I really like it because 99% of the files you dload there actually work properly and actually are what they say they are. Also all the files I have dloaded there haven't had any viruses.. compare that to the P2P file sharing sites (KAZAA!!) Bittorrent is a must have

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 04:51 PM
link   
which web site do you use,
i like to use www.suprnova.org

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by mew the destroyer

Yea that is my favorite torrent site too.

Hail to suprnova!!

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by CPYKOmega

Originally posted by mew the destroyer

Yea that is my favorite torrent site too.

Hail to suprnova!!

I guess you have to get off your knees as pray to another website. Suprnova.org was pooped on by Hollywood. My suggestion, www.nextorrents.com. It's a sign up place, but still has a pretty vast selection.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 07:53 PM
link   
just to help:

www.belowtopsecret.com...

this thread has ALOT of VERY good bittorrent sites...

enjoy!!!

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 08:32 PM
link   
My favorite website is: www.torrentspy.com. No sign up needed.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Useful 1diot
My favorite website is: www.torrentspy.com. No sign up needed.

Update:
Torrentspy.com was shut down today and turned into another horrid 'portal' site.

Update2:
Disregard the above message.

But theres still Bi-Torrent.com

[edit on 1/17/2005 by Simulacra]

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Yeah, been using it for a while now.

www.torrentspy.com... is very good. Sprnova.org was shut down as mentioned, but there are a few scams out there that look almost exactly the same, namely sprnova.net and .com - you have been warned.

The best interface client I've used is Bitlord; it's all i use now and for some reason it seems to get the best download rates without you having to adjust a thing, as well as being extremely user-friendly. You can also select which files to load and which not to to save on downloading time if you don't want everything in the torrent.

Don't download too many things at once with torrents. Due to the particular way in which it manages upload/download between peers, it causes larger stress on your hard disk and can shorten its lifespan if overused.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
Don't download too many things at once with torrents. Due to the particular way in which it manages upload/download between peers, it causes larger stress on your hard disk and can shorten its lifespan if overused.

What's a safe number? Usually I get around 10 torrents going on at once, make sure they are downloading, and just walk away. I've been having this 80gig Que external hardrive for abour 3 years now and the last thing I want it to do is dirtnap on me.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I wouldn't go over 5 myself. (I usually keep it to 2, but I'm super-protective of my vols, if you know what I mean) However, the info I got is second hand so I don't really know what a safe number would be.

It was explained to me something like, unlike other P2P's, torrent is set up so that your computer has less of a chance to resist an upload packet request, so it will be writing and then interrupted to read, and vice-versa, which puts heaps of stress on the reading/writing arm or whatever it is. Like you're telling it, DO THIS! NO, WAIT! DO THAT! GO OVER THERE! SSSSTOP!! COME BACK!!

top topics

join