It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TERRORISM: Congress Expands Use of Terrorist Lists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 09:03 PM
link   
One of the changes included in the intelligence bill passed by Congress this week includes the identity checking of all airport and cruise ship workers. These names will be checked against two government lists, one for people suspected of terrorism, the other for people the government says require additional scrutiny for some other reason.

news.yahoo.com
Cruise passengers, but not crews, already are checked against the lists within 15 minutes of a ship's departure. Once President Bush signs the bill into law, it will require passengers and crews to be checked before the ship sets sail. The procedures must start within six months after the bill becomes law.

Supporters say the changes add another layer of security for the traveling public, but critics of the lists contend they provide greater opportunity for innocent people to be mistakenly branded.

The lists are wrapped in secrecy. The government doesn't disclose criteria for placing people on them, how many names are listed or any of the identities.

In a number of well-publicized incidents, people with names similar to others on the lists were stopped from boarding planes. One that happened to is Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, D-Mass.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

While this is a step in the right direction, it is still flawed as pointed out above with Sen. Kennedy. One may ask if it is alright to be questioned and thus putting a burden on your plans, I say Yes. If you do not have anything to hide, then this bothersome time may be another chance at life, so to speak. The problem here is being able to detain the "Right" people, even when "Wrong" ones are being questioned, which I think will be put to the test. This information comes on the heels of a British report earlier this week claiming Al-Qaeda could be looking at a Sea Attack. While this bill may stop people from getting on these ships and planes, what is being done to protect "outside" attacks?

A problem that many people have brought up in relation to this bill, is the lack of "Border Security". This is still a huge problem that seriously needs to be addressed with earnestness. Hundreds of thousands of people come in through our borders a year. While 9-11 has said to be in the works for at least 19 years, what has already come in, and what will be done to stop it? Leaving these doors open only leads to more of a chance of something occurring on US soil again.

[edit on 10-12-2004 by TrickmastertricK]

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Sometimes I wonder if Kennedy wasn't put on that list by accident. I got a chuckle when I heard he was at one time denied flying back to Washington because he could be a threat to the nation and put on the no fly list.

More seriously though, more secrecy in the lists and what makes people go on the lists certainly does not help the public avoid alot of confusion. I suppose the secrecy may be an indication that someone thinks terrorists could avoid being put on the list if they knew what to avoid. What if the terrorists already know what to avoid? There is a level of safety you can go up to before it kills the whole business (flying that is).

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 12:27 AM
link   
And all it will take is one upset neighbor who makes a phone call to TIPS and your name is on the list, it took Kennedy three weeks I believe to get his name off the list or so I have read, just imaging how long it would take for Joe Six-pack. You won�t be going anywhere unless you drive.

[edit on 11/12/2004 by Sauron]

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 10:06 PM
link   
haha, yeah watch lists are to stop terrorists when we have a border to the south with so many holes it would take billions to fix it! Travel restrictions on legal US citizens? I thought we had the right to pursue happiness or whatever that crap is. The government isn't even pretending to care about our rights now, THIS WILL NOT STOP TERRORISM all it does is make americans have to jump through more hoops. The tips line reminds me alot of programs in communist nations... "Now kids if mommy or daddy does something that is not being a good citizen what do we do?"
This is something we allowed to happen to ourselves, and it has creeped up slowly on us, but now that it's here I don't see there is much we can do about it. At least not if you want to fly or leave the country anytime soon, haha we're screwed!!

Everybody crack a beer and watch what was the great experiment in democracy circle the toilet bowl

top topics

join