It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google moves into Nasa’s space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Google is building one of the biggest Artificial Intelligence brain, they're into robotics and now space exploration. I think Google is doing the right thing because these areas will shape the future. Of course these things will give them even more power in the future then what they have today.

Google has taken a 60-year lease on a Nasa airfield next to its Silicon Valley headquarters as it pushes deeper into researching areas like space exploration and vehicles capable of navigating other planets.

The lease includes a commitment to spend $200m on the facilities at the Moffett airfield, including renovating a gigantic, historic airship hangar that has become a prominent local landmark.

Announcing a deal with Google on Monday, Nasa said the Moffett facilities would be used for “research, development, assembly and testing in the areas of space exploration, aviation, rover/robotics and other emerging technologies”.

www.ft.com...

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic
Google is building one of the biggest Artificial Intelligence brain, they're into robotics and now space exploration. I think Google is doing the right thing because these areas will shape the future. Of course these things will give them even more power in the future then what they have today.

Google has taken a 60-year lease on a Nasa airfield next to its Silicon Valley headquarters as it pushes deeper into researching areas like space exploration and vehicles capable of navigating other planets.

The lease includes a commitment to spend $200m on the facilities at the Moffett airfield, including renovating a gigantic, historic airship hangar that has become a prominent local landmark.

Announcing a deal with Google on Monday, Nasa said the Moffett facilities would be used for “research, development, assembly and testing in the areas of space exploration, aviation, rover/robotics and other emerging technologies”.

www.ft.com...

Good. This means competition and competition is what the Space game needs...

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

Go Google Go Google Go!

This is awesome news OP! S&F!

It really is about time that they did this. We all know how innovative Google is, I'm sure they will have something that will blow our socks off by the end of the 6 years.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic

www.ft.com...

can't wait to find out what the new technology will be
prime real estate too, maybe first google-village

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Skynet.

Seriously, I think this is great. Hopefully they will come up with game changing technology. We're going to need it.

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I find it a bit scary that a search engine might be staging space flights some time in the future. Indeed, what if it ends up like Skynet, the Umbrella Corporation, or Tyrell Corporation (making androids for space exploration and other tasks)?

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 02:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace
I find it a bit scary that a search engine might be staging space flights some time in the future. Indeed, what if it ends up like Skynet, the Umbrella Corporation, or Tyrell Corporation (making androids for space exploration and other tasks)?

Did you read my short fictional story where Google funded a telescope which found the first evidence of extra terrestrial intelligence?

If not here it is:

ATS: Astronomers Detect First 'Clear Signs of Civilization' Beyond Earth - How will you react?

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   
For a company that started competing with, the back then popular internet explorer and holding a motto 'Don't be Evil', this company has jumped sides to much for me to have any faith at all in projects like this. While they have become masters of manipulating the public opinion (pretty easy when you own your own search engine that everyone uses) and with those tools have a ear on the mind of the public (like priest, gave them unlimited power). So yes they seem to do what we would like to see companies do, but its just to easy for them to do that for me to be happy about them doing that.
Maybe too paranoid,,

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
at a cost of 1 Billion $ for a 60 year lease ??

that is pretty expensive... watch as Øbama does more cost-cutting and mothballs that NASA facility & Google has to pay all the support expenses by themselves... like security & grounds monitoring costs on top of the land-lease itself

...which might not be unwelcome by Google, as They can then pursue the real (secret) objectives of creating Androids & Cyborgs...in the model of the " Iron Man" fiction
edit on th30141571504311102014 by St Udio because: closing thought

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I remember reading an article a couple of days ago where a Google spokesperson said how they have achieved all of their goals and that now they were on uncharted territory and were thinking of what things to do next.

I'm glad they chose space.
I do believe it is the future.

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

I remember reading your story and I thoroughly enjoyed, (very well done and detailed) life imitates art they say.

That or your part of tptb and your just blatantly just rubbing our faces in your plan for disclosure..... well this is ATS so I'll go with the latter. Are you part of the masonic space Illuminati society ?

Back on point , I'm excited to see private companies getting involved in space. Competition drive exploration and companies / people/ initiatives like Google , Elon Musk , Richard Branson , Mars one I'd say the future is bright indeed.

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Dimens

I understand what you are saying. However, making the future is not cheap by a long shot. Who else can afford that amount of research and resources? It's got to come from somewhere whether it be a huge corporation or our government (huge corporation).

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Meh, Google is just another arm of the US government. See: Google Earth. All those blurred photos, hidden removed images. Yeah, they're really going to enlighten us. NOT! They just need to find something to do with all their trillions.

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Google just needs to cut to the chase and rename itself Skynet

An evil empire if ever I saw one

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 04:50 AM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

Yes i get that two, just hate we have to choose the lesser of two evils but that's just the way things are.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: St Udio
at a cost of 1 Billion $ for a 60 year lease ??

that is pretty expensive... watch as Øbama does more cost-cutting and mothballs that NASA facility & Google has to pay all the support expenses by themselves... like security & grounds monitoring costs on top of the land-lease itself

...which might not be unwelcome by Google, as They can then pursue the real (secret) objectives of creating Androids & Cyborgs...in the model of the " Iron Man" fiction

I don't get it.

I thought people who didn't like Obama were in favor of private enterprise taking over government assets like the facility mentioned here?

They certainly were under Bush when the plan to mothball the Space Shuttles and kill the Terrestrial Planet Finder was initiated....

What has changed? This isn't about Obama or Bush. It's about a Congress reluctant to fund space exploration at a serious level.
edit on 13-11-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

Well said. Google has put its reputation on the line (again) with this, and the types of innovative people it can gather, hire, and collect should come up with improvement on existing tech as well as things nobody has thought of yet. All it takes is funding and fun sometimes to change the world, and google seems to like to hire people who will now have lots of both.
edit on 13-11-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
The governments spent the big money on research and product testing/vetting.

Now its time for the profits to be seen in space, we already use so many things invented by advancing space faring technology for the last half century....

Its time for private industry to see the long term profits and invest now in the future of the space race.

We will have failures like the Spaceship2 recently, but "space is hard"....

I'd like to think the human race is up to the challenge
First International Space Corporation
X

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: JadeStar
I don't get it.

I thought people who didn't like Obama were in favor of private enterprise taking over government assets like the facility mentioned here?

They certainly were under Bush when the plan to mothball the Space Shuttles and kill the Terrestrial Planet Finder was initiated....

What has changed? This isn't about Obama or Bush. It's about a Congress reluctant to fund space exploration at a serious level.

Maybe if that private enterprise were going to disclose their findings people would be more supportive. But Google has proven it will not enlighten the public. That's why if you read my post, it addresses Google hiding images in Google Earth and images on the moon. Why would we care about yet another non-disclosing entity?

new topics

top topics

join