It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

joe's last imaginary guitar solo...perfection

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
this is one of the last time frank played this as he was getting pretty sick....

this is as good as it gets in my opinion

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   
of course i cant post only 1....
frank improvised better than anyone as far as im concerned.....

black napkins...

the solo to montana starts at about 5:45....1973...frank was in his prime....

sweet little jazz improv....its called st etienne

of course chungas revenge

---------------

i wish i could have seen him live....i saw dweezil a few times but never frank. i was too young.

he solo's were amazing.....

edit*
my favorite solo of all time.....montana...1973..stockholm

edit on 9-11-2014 by Grovit because: (no reason given)

nice little blues joint...suicide chump...solo starts at 5:35

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
not only do i love franks music but i love his concept(s) as well.

he coined this term 'conceptual continuity' that i thought was pretty far out.
he basically said that every one of his songs are part of a larger, whole project and all of his music combines to form one large piece of work...

for example what he would do was

take a piece of song A from a live convert. put it together with a solo from song B from a different show. then hit the studio and lay down part C to form 1 song, D...

pretty awesome

wiki.killuglyradio.com...

"Well, the conceptual continuity is this: everything, even this interview, is part of what I do for, let's call it, my entertainment work. And there's a big difference between sitting here and talking about this kind of stuff, and writing a song like 'Titties and Beer'. But as far as I'm concerned, it's all part of the same continuity. It's all one piece. It all relates in some weird way back to the focal point of what's going on."

---------------

this is a nice little 1 page article that explains it a bit better even if the author does not agree with the concept

www.technicalauthoring.com...

and this article

www.avclub.com...

Zappa conceived of everything he did as part of a grand artistic mission, which he termed “Project/Object” (or, elsewhere, “conceptual continuity”). It’s like a riff on Wagner’s concept of the Gesamtkunstwerk—a comprehensive, totalizing concept of art that ranged between albums, concert films, and even interviews. Musical phrases, ideas, and even characters reappear across albums, providing theoretical and attitudinal connective tissue

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I miss Frank. He was so refreshing compared to all the regurgitated mundane crap the industry feeds us . He had no boundaries, always thought out side the box and created music for himself, not for the acceptance of the masses. His music provoked thought on many issues other musicians didn't dare confront. I had the privilege to see him live a few times and I'm very grateful for that opportunity.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: mtnshredder
I miss Frank. He was so refreshing compared to all the regurgitated mundane crap the industry feeds us . He had no boundaries, always thought out side the box and created music for himself, not for the acceptance of the masses. His music provoked thought on many issues other musicians didn't dare confront. I had the privilege to see him live a few times and I'm very grateful for that opportunity.

im very jealous that you got to see him live...frank was always playing in my house growing up but by the time i got into my early teens and really started getting into him, he had stopped touring cause he was sick.
ive seen zappa plays zappa 3 times which is of course as close as i will ever get.
at the show in detroit there was about a 200 foot screen with fiml of frank playing chungas revenge and dweezil was up there playing so it was like they had a duel....it was pretty awesome.

over the years i have collected every song, video, and book.....kind of became an encyclopedia of frank if you will....

i loved that he did what he wanted....he didnt compromise and was not apologetic.
most people didnt understand his music and his view on that was if they didnt get it they were not supposed to.

he went in and tore them up at the pmrc hearings.
he debated john laughlin on crossfire on the 80's and made john look like a fool.
when the adl demanded an apology for the song jewish princess, they received nothing.

one of my favorite stories about frank was when he was set to release hsi box set, lather. the record company started messing with him and issued some sort of injunction stopping the release. he went to kroq radio station in california and went on the air and told all listeners to get their recording gear ready and played the entire thing in its entirety.

downloadable music was also franks concept...
keep in mind this was in 1983

www.techdirt.com...

We propose to acquire the rights to digitally duplicate and store THE BEST of every record company's difficult-to-move Quality Catalog Items [Q.C.I.], store them in a central processing location, and have them accessible by phone or cable TV, directly patchable into the user's home taping appliances, with the option of direct digital-to-digital transfer to F-1 (SONY consumer level digital tape encoder), Beta Hi-Fi, or ordinary analog cassette (requiring the installation of a rentable D-A converter in the phone itself . . . the main chip is about $12).

All accounting for royalty payments, billing to the customer, etc. would be automatic, built into the initial software for the system.

The consumer has the option of subscribing to one or more Interest Categories, charged at a monthly rate, without regard for the quantity of music he or she decides to tape.

Providing material in such quantity at a reduced cost could actually diminish the desire to duplicate and store it, since it would be available any time day or night.

Monthly listings could be provided by catalog, reducing the on-line storage requirements of the computer. The entire service would be accessed by phone, even if the local reception is via TV cable.

The advantage of the TV cable is: on those channels where nothing ever seems to happen (there's about 70 of them in L.A.), a visualization of the original cover art, including song lyrics, technical data, etc., could be displayed while the transmission is in progress, giving the project an electronic whiff of the original point-of-purchase merchandising built into the album when it was 'an album', since there are many consumers who like to fondle & fetish the packaging while the music is being played. In this situation, Fondlement & Fetishism Potential [F.F.P.] is supplied, without the cost of shipping tons of cardboard around.

We require a LARGE quantity of money and the services of a team of mega-hackers to write the software for this system. Most of the hardware devices are, even as you read this, available as off-the-shelf items, just waiting to be plugged into each other so they can put an end to "THE RECORD BUSINESS" as we now know it.

edit on 10-11-2014 by Grovit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   
frank at the pmrc.....

if you dont know what the pmrc was about

The Parents Music Resource Center (PMRC) was an American committee formed in 1985 with the stated goal of increasing parental control over the access of children to music deemed to be violent, have drug use or be sexual via labeling albums with Parental Advisory stickers. The committee was founded by four women: Tipper Gore, wife of Senator and later Vice President Al Gore; Susan Baker, wife of Treasury Secretary James Baker; Pam Howar, wife of Washington realtor Raymond Howar; and Sally Nevius, wife of former Washington City Council Chairman John Nevius. They were known as the "Washington wives"
------------------

these were the filithy 15 songs they found most objectionable

1 Prince "Darling Nikki" Sex/Masturbation
2 Sheena Easton "Sugar Walls" Sex
3 Judas Priest "Eat Me Alive" Sex
4 Vanity "Strap On 'Robbie Baby'" Sex
5 Mötley Crüe "Bastard" Violence/Language
6 AC/DC "Let Me Put My Love into You" Sex
7 Twisted Sister "We're Not Gonna Take It" Violence
8 Madonna "Dress You Up" Sex
9 W.A.S.P. "Animal (# Like a Beast)" Sex/Language
10 Def Leppard "High 'n' Dry (Saturday Night)" Drug and alcohol use
11 Mercyful Fate "Into the Coven" Occult
12 Black Sabbath "Trashed" Drug and alcohol use
13 Mary Jane Girls "In My House" Sex
14 Venom "Possessed" Occult
15 Cyndi Lauper "She Bop" Sex/Masturbation
-------------

they were a bunch of loons...they slapped a label on franks album jazz from hell. it was an instrumental album but it had the word hell

frank chopping them down on crossfire

top topics

join