It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Growing another limb is it possible?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 03:14 AM
link   
i was reading through this thing my friend sent me over msn a website or somthing and it was somkthing about growing another lim by moving nerve endsing and such like nerve endins on bones from another human with same blood type or somthing like that i was just checking in if it was possible

Mod Edit: Fixed Spelling in Title

[edit on 12/10/04 by FredT]

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Is a ***** considered a limb??? I would grow another *****, that could be a lotta fun...

Mod Edit: Edited inappropriate off topic remark

[edit on 12/10/04 by FredT]

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Is your freind refering to stem cell research? Stem cells are from embryos, they are cells which are not specifically programmed for developing an arm or a leg, or foot ect. Science belweives its possible to genectically manipulate these cells to be specific to an arm or leg etc. Im assuming the cells would be implanted in the stump of a missing limb and grow much like cancer cells into a new limb.

Amazing possibility but a freaky to me. interesting subject and it may well be possible in the future.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 05:29 AM
link   
im not to sure what my friend was reffering to sorry i just picked up the whole another limb with nerve endins and bones and that stuff

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 07:04 AM
link   
well im missing a finger so if someone can show me a procerer to try and its proven not to have bad side effects ill give it a shot .
but even befor they can try this what most of you dont relize is when you louse a limb is that it builds up a bulb typ thing on the end so even if your could regrow it wont function right unless you do reconstrive surjury first.
Ps I only lost the top part of the finger still have half up to the first finger joint bbut can only bend it a little as the buld has made it to tight to bend all the way. very anoying I mite add.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I remember a long while back about a documentary on medical miracles about a guy who was able to self-heal from a bad injury requiring him to literally rebuild reconstuctive tissue in his leg. It was quite fascinating. If I find this case study on the net somewhere, I'll provide a link.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Perhaps if we can unlock the secrets of the Salamander it could happen they are the superstars of regeneration.They can grow back not only limbs but also tails, parts of their hearts and the retinas and lenses in their eyes.

Scientists here hope that the salamander's tricks may one day be applied to people.

"I really do believe it's just a matter of time before you're going to regenerate an arm or at least a finger," said Dr. David M. Gardiner, a biologist who runs the laboratory at the University of California at Irvine with Dr. Susan V. Bryant, the dean of biological sciences and his wife. "I'd like to see that in my lifetime."

"Regenerative medicine, regrowing or repairing damaged organs, has become a hot topic. Almost all the attention has focused on stem cells. The idea is to grow stem cells outside the body, turn them into particular types of tissue and transplant them into patients. "

"But a few scientists theorize that a better approach is to induce the same regeneration in people that occurs in salamanders and some other animals. Natural regeneration, which might be accomplished with drugs or genes, would be easier than transplanting, they say. And the tissue would be the patient's own, doing away with the problem of rejection."

eric.stamen.com...

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 07:56 PM
link   
as i thought that growing another limb was possible i i just bumbed into these fish like creatures that actually can regrow limbs!!
and also have the power (with human help and guidence) to actually grow another arm or leg?

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I think it would be possible with some gene manipulation
but not anytime soon, unless the technology is being suppressed.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 02:03 AM
link   
It would be fun to have an extra limb. But sadly we are not genetically coded to naturally grow one. However, give genetics about ten years and we will see a lot of fun mutations running around the city.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
According to this article, the genetic modification of mice have resulted in enhancing their ability to heal themselves. Perhaps it's just a matter of time for humans.

Mice with a remarkable ability to heal wounds have been genetically engineered by scientists. The research may lead to better future treatments for skin disorders.

Tests showed these mice also had the ability to rapidly heal wounds - two millimetre-wide holes created in the mice's ears closed completely within 28 days.

www.newscientist.com...

top topics

join