It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Latest Chinese Mine Explosion Kills 33 Workers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Another mining deserter has taken place in China; a coal mine explosion has killed 28 miners and 5 rescue workers at a mine near the city of Yuangquan, in the northern province of Shanxi. The accident occurred at 4:20 pm local time, there has not been a report from the government on how the 5 rescue workers had died and the investigation is still underway, according to government officials. This is the latest in a series of similar deserters.
Thursday, 71 miners died in an underground explosion from a build up of toxic gas, at the Daxian Sankeng mine, near Yangquan. 166 workers died last month in a gas explosion in the province of Shaanxi. Three days later 13 more had been killed at the state owned Chenjiashan mine.
Last year 17,315 workers died in mine related accidents, China is one of the worlds biggest coal producers and also has the worst safety record.

www.foxnews.com
Latest China Mine Blast Kills Dozens

BEIJING — A gas explosion at a coal mine in northern China (search) killed 33 people, the latest disaster to strike the country's accident-prone mining industry, the official Xinhua News Agency reported Friday.
The blast occurred at 4:20 p.m. Thursday in Yangquan, a city in the northern province of Shanxi (search), the report said. Twenty-eight miners were killed in the explosion at the Daxian Sankeng Colliery, as were five people who descended into the pit trying to rescue them.
About 40 other miners working underground at the time were able to escape, Xinhua said.
Link

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Very sad; but not really unexpected with the working conditions that the Chinese have to deal with, It’s hardly unexpected.

Related News Links:
uk.news.yahoo.com
quote.bloomberg.com

[edit on 12-10-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Yeah, the mining profession in China sems as risky as crab fishing is. They have had a string of mining acidents and no end in sight. They are trying to extract coal faster and faster to keep thier economy going and its going to have a tremendous environmental and human cost.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 12:29 PM
link   
There has been yet another explosion at two mines in China. 15 Dead:

BEIJING (AFP) - Fifteen workers died and five are missing after gas explosions at two separate coal mines in China, officials and state media said.

Fourteen workers died Sunday in an explosion at a mine in Shilin town in southwest China's Sichuan province, workplace safety officials said.
Blast

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   
If couples already had one child, the Chinese Government used to drag pregnant women (laden with 2nd child) off the streets and give them forced abortions. Now its a small monetary penalty. Welcome to the most populous nation in the world.

The perceived needs of the Country overrides everything, including a few lives. For the Glory of the Mother Nation !

With capitalism in full flight, priorities are changing, albeit slowly.

Problem is that the need for energy is so acute, without a major accident happening, the local authorities cannot afford to shut down the plants due to safety infractions etc.

The "accidents" will continue for some time....

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Dixon; I feel you are right about the Chinese not making any changes to upgrade safety standards, why should they. (IMO) It puts me in mind of Briton and a few other countries at the turn of the century, and the working conditions in the mines then that the workers had to deal with during those times. I suppose Chinese employer�s see it as they have anunlimited labor supply, so it�s cheaper to replace a few workers than it is to invest in safety equipment.

top topics

join