It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice on 12 step fellowships

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Wise words from intrptr!!!

Give the 12 steps a chance. Go to different meetings until you find one that works.

In Unity there is Strength!

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: misscurious

Everyone but the old timers will relapse. many will be in and out. People who like talking will take as much time as they can to have all the attention. The reason these groups work (for a short time with most) is mainly due to the fact that you are surrounding yourself with people making a conscious effort to refrain. Don't worry yourself about getting a sponsor bc they are every bit as flawed as you.

Bring your own coffee theirs is horrid. Find people who aren't blindly regurgitating everything they hear and hang out with them as often as possible. Read into some buddhist philosophy and practice that

ETA: watch out for all the pervs using these groups to hook up
edit on 24-10-2014 by theyknowwhoyouare because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Intrptr and Nechash have given you some good advice. My response is not to take away from that, but rather to supplement it. The only disagreement I have with anything said in this thread to this point is, YOU ARE NOT POWERLESS. You may feel as though you are, but you aren't. YOU ARE POWERFUL. Everything you need to overcome this IS already within you. That said, admitting you need help is strength, not weakness. We are not powerless, but that doesn't mean we don't need guidance and help to re-vitalize that inner strength sometimes.

Want proof of your power? Take a look at what you have accomplished in your life to this point. You are a successful person. I am self-employed. I know what it takes to be successful in business. Most people don't have what it takes. They have no self-discipline or "sticktoitiveness". Don't underestimate yourself. You can and will overcome this if that is your desire. Sermon ended...

If I might make a suggestion. Find an experienced, board certified hypnotherapist, and try a few sessions with him/her. You might be pleasantly surprised at what he/she can help you accomplish. I am not suggesting you stop going to the meetings. You need the support and camaraderie of those who understand, because they are, or have been there.

Lastly, I do understand where you're coming from. If I can walk away from it, I know you can. Your resume, and your willingness to reach out for help proves you can. U2U me if you have any questions, or just want to vent...
edit on 10/24/2014 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/24/2014 by Klassified because: add nechash

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   

My 2 cents......I've found every group has it's own personality.( I attend only the "Men's closed" meeting in my group. )
If you find your group to "preachy", touchy feely or strict/rule oriented seek out a group that fits your personality.
It may involve a little farther drive but the friendships you make and inspiration you feel from the right group of people is truely going to be your inspiration.

Also give it time.........my experience when I first entered AA was that everyone was stupid. The room was tacky. The program rote and dry.

I have since grown to love everyone who attends meetings with me and every square inch of the room we meet in!
I've earn my own key and "tend bar" (make coffee/sell soda and water) at the Sunday morning Men's meeting.
I am also honored with a request to chair the meeting once in a while.

I'm a trusted and respected human thanks to AA, still and always an alcoholic but not a drunk!

To you my awakening friend, Congratualions on taking the all important first step!

STEP 1. "Was willing to admit I was powerless over (for me alcohol) and that my life had become unmanagible.

My "12 Step Program" was not the end of my recovery from addiction, but it was definately a great start.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Amen!

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: misscurious
Hi,
This is a brief thread aimed at getting some opinions on 12 step fellowships. Let me start by saying I know a big part of them is to be anonomous but I do consider myself that here..
A brief outline.. I have just started a 12 step program (I wont say which one), and just wanted to hear if there are any members that can share their experiences.. Personally I have attended 3 meeting and im still kind of like wtf.! But listening to people and seeing the belief others have in it makes me think there must be something to it.. It definitly works for some.
I'm still considering whether it is for but will try to attend the 6 meetings recomended..

Anyway.. any opinions? any experiences?

Twelve-step programs are addiction transference programs designed to transfer your addiction from a substance to the program. If you observe people who have participated in these programs and managed to give up the addictive substance,you'll note that their addictive behaviors continue only now their "fix" is going to the meetings and chanting the mantras.

In the US, federal courts have ruled that AA is a religion -- and so it is. Keep that in mind. Many people who have gone through those programs have become Christian fundamentalists.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join