It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Couple Married 73 Years Die Hours Apart

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
It's good to be back on ATS - it's even better when I can go back to sharing one of the themes I love the best ---> love!

Joe Auer lived 100 years, surviving the Depression, a stint in World War II, and no fewer than 10 kids. But when his wife of 73 years died last week, that was it. Joe Auer lasted only 28 hours after Helen, 94, reports WPTV. "I think sleeping only one day from Mom, that was enough," explains son Jerry. "He couldn't take it any longer. He said I'm not going to sleep alone again." Their joint funeral was being held today before the same altar where they wed in 1941

The same alter they were wed at... Wow... Just wow...

peace to the family

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

So am I getting this right? Her husband died of a broken heart from natural causes or did he kill himself because of a broken heart? I've heard of spouses dying not long after they lose their better half, but not this quick!

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Bittersweet stories like thses always get to me.

SnF for making a guy get all misty-eyed.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

So am I getting this right? Her husband died of a broken heart from natural causes or did he kill himself because of a broken heart? I've heard of spouses dying not long after they lose their better half, but not this quick!

I know of a couple that died minutes apart. Her husband had a heart attack and died and before the ambulance could get there she had a heart attack and passed away.

Love can be a powerful emotion and when couples have been together this long it can kill.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
No matter how many times I hear these stories... They still get to me. Imagine spending so many years together that the mere thought of going it alone literally breaks your heart. That's real love and not the dime store romance most people chase after for most of their lives. Even in death, these folks were blessed.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Welcome back Silo..... Amazing people... If there was anyone to be envied in this world it would be couples like this... The ones who found their true soul mate, so in love that they cannot just live without the other.... Not sad IMHO - Wonderful...... As it should be, except for the pain of the lost, but all those years together.....

Every now and then this story is repeated so for those of us without we can see by their example that perfect love can be achieved....

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Stories like this always get me! If my husband and I are lucky enough to be married for 73 years I couldn't imagine living a day without him and would probably die of a broken heart.

Reminds me of the ending of the movie The Notebook...

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

Even just thinking of that movie makes me well up!

Bonds between two humans can be so beautiful and so tragic when they are broken through the death of one of them.

It would be near impossible to keep functioning without your constant companion for so long.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Buttercup79

Bonds between two humans can be so beautiful and so tragic when they are broken through the death of one of them.

This is so true. My grandfather recently passed away and my grandmother has just been withering away. She's not interested in anything anymore, it's so sad. They were married about the same length of time as the couple in the article.

Couples that have been together for a long time are more connected than we understand, I'm just sure of it. My husband and I have been together for 14 years and basically share thoughts at the same time. It's weird, really really weird but cool at the same time. He will be thinking about something and I'll grab it and give it to him with out him having to ask. We are often thinking about the same things at the same time. It's almost like our consciousnesses are becoming more intertwined as the years progress. I know we aren't the only ones this happens to either, I've read of others experiencing it, as well as my parents who have been married for 41 years.

Im glad that the couple in the article passed away basically together, the only other thing that would make it more beautiful would be how it happened in The Notebook, passing away in your sleep holding your lover, best friend and life partner.
edit on 22-10-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: eta

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
The media's reported several of these incidents over the past year. I do know Broken Heart Syndrome is real, it supposedly deforms the tissue in the heart due to stress.

Many couples have an almost spiritual connection. I've heard people in their 70s and 80s say that relatives and close friends can "call" someone, the time varies. S + F

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Broken Heart Syndrome?
I’ll have to look into that. Thanks for the heads up -
I’ve ‘covered’ quite a number of these type of stories here on ATS and always wondered.
Broken Heart Syndrome? Weellll well well... Could be that’s why I have been so sick since returning to the States too, but that’s for another thread.
Thanks tons
peace

What is broken heart syndrome?

Broken heart syndrome is one of the many names for takotsubo cardiomyopathy, a rare and temporary condition where part of a person’s heart suddenly becomes weakened or 'stunned' - forcing the rest of the heart to work harder. The condition is also referred to as acute stress cardiomyopathy and apical ballooning syndrome.

What causes it? There are various theories as to what causes the condition. About three quarters of those diagnosed with Takotsubo cardiomyopathy have experienced severe emotional or physical stress prior to becoming unwell, such as bereavement. British Heart Foundation (BHF) says evidence suggests the sudden, excessive release of hormones – usually adrenaline - during these stressful periods causes the ‘stunning’ of part of the heart muscle.

news link

Not quite what we were thinking but I still understand what you're meaning there.

peace
edit on 23-10-2014 by silo13 because: added news link

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Deaths from it are rare but they do happen. Also, people afflicted with it can recover.

The name Takotsubo comes from "octopus trap" which is what the heart looks like on imagers when it's affected by this syndrome.

top topics

join