It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Incredible Close-Up Drone Video of an Erupting Volcano in Iceland

page: 1

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Eric Cheng, director of aerial imaging for drone maker DJI, joined photographer Ragnar Th. Sigurdsson for a last-minute trip to the eruption site in the Bardarbunga volcanic system. Sigurdsson had access to the proper permits and connections with the local authorities to get close enough to send a drone over the eruption.

This is a very short but powerful video. He actually got so close that it melted the face of the GoPro camera.

Drones, as destructive as they can be, are always at the mercy of those who design and control them. When put in the hands of scientists and enthusiasts you can instantly see the benefit of there use. In the wrong hands, they are silent, spying, deliverers of death. I guess there is two sides to everything.

Iceland is one of the most volcanically active locations in the world. It’s the only place on the globe where a mid-ocean ridge—the seams in the Earth’s crust that pull apart, bringing molten magma to the surface to produce more crust—rises onto dry land. It’s an incredible view of one of the most important and impressive geologic processes on the planet.

If it wasn't for certain technology we would never be able to get close enough to study and admire such power and grace. People take for granted how continents and landmasses are formed. If it wasn't for earthquakes and volcanic eruptions, you could kiss that piece of terra firma under your feet goodbye. Mother Nature is very unforgiving. What she lacks in compassion, she makes up for with sheer beauty.

edit on 21-10-2014 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Pics or it didn't happen.

Oh and nice pics btw S+F

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Could have done without the doom/marching music, and with less gabbing by the video makers, but when they finally get to the few seconds of the volcano fly over (thank the internet goddesses for fast-forward tracking) it's quite the close-up. Thanks, star, flag, and geese.
edit on 21-10-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister
Could have done without the doom/marching music, and with less gabbing by the video makers, but when they finally get to the volcano fly over (thank the internet goddesses for fast-forward tracking) it's quite the close-up. Thanks, star, flag, and geese.

Oh come on. It's a great video and those guys worked very hard to do it.

(post by eisegesis removed for a manners violation)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

I'd call that a decent durability test for the camera lol. Iceland is one of the most beautiful places on Earth. I would rest happy should I manage to visit there before I die. SnF OP thanks!

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Spectacular pictures and video.

As the OP mentioned... technology can serve the benevolent and the malevolent.

This is one of those times where it's used for a much more benevolent purpose.

~Namaste

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   

that was awsome S&F ...amazing that technology allows us to see such a thing...

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Amazing !
How often do you get to see the glow of lava
in concert with auroras ?

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Manners violation...lol.

I guess some people can't appreciate things no matter how much planning and hard work go into it. While I agree, some music can make or break a video, I wouldn't put that much thought into it. Content first, dialog second, music last.

Geesus people...

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Hi. Please read my post again, and you may find that I was not as negative as you may think. It's a very good video, and I enjoyed the drone flyover. Did we really need to see the preparation, the drive along the roads, and the other foreplay? Probably not, as most people probably know what a drone is, and that people go places in cars. It's a short vid, but they don't get to any of the advertised action until over 2/3rds of the way in, and even then it's a very few seconds of flyover. Yet that was still enough to earn the applause the vid deserves, and I said as much, and awarded your very good OP with a flag, a star, and geese. Geese is a good thing.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 04:22 AM
link   
When do we get the video of the drone over the volcano claiming it's a ufo.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 04:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

When do we get the video of the drone over the volcano claiming it's a ufo.

That's a thread for tomorrow Phage

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Wow what's with the haters. The YouTube channel belongs to the company that makes the drone, so of course they're going to make it a promo video. You know how to skip to the end if it bothers you right?

Thanks OP! Awesome video!

P.S. Here's a montage video they released with just the drone flights, though it has the same music to complain about!:

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Stunning footage, thank you for sharing it .

top topics

join