It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Listverse - 10 Ways doing the Right thing can ruin your life.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
10 Ways doing the right thing can ruin your life.

Found this on listverse. Some show how we can become worse thinking we are doing good. We become arrogant and self-righteous because we think we are doing more than others. Others show the unintended consequences for our actions. Lastly, the top two are just sad. The top 2 and # 5 are about exposing corruption but the systems in place are not there to protect you and reimburse you for your troubles. Like the old saying goes; "No good deed goes unpunished".

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
S&F

This one gets me:

Faced with the unmitigated horrors of factory farms and the environmental destruction of flying meat halfway around the world, plenty of us choose to source our food ethically. And while that’s great for the planet, it also turns us into objectively awful people.In 2009, researchers from the University of Toronto set up two online stores.

One was a regular supermarket, while the other was a “super green” version.

Participants were assigned to one store, and either given money to spend, or simply told to browse. Afterward, all the subjects were given cash and told to divide it up between themselves and an anonymous person. Care to guess what happened next?Those who’d spent money in the “green” store completely ripped off their anonymous partners.

Convinced they’d already proved their moral superiority by buying green, they saw no need to treat the rest of the experiment honestly. When the scientists followed up by allowing them to take a specified amount of money from an envelope, the eco-shoppers went even further by taking more cash than they were entitled to.

I find a lot of people who jump on the no-fat, low-fat, quinoa, fish penis oil, shredded kale cupcakes, etc. fads, some of the worst kinds of people out there. They will go to great lengths to recycle a bottle of perrier but bitch at you and tell you how to run your life when they are slimy, flaky bastards 90% of the time...

/rant

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: boncho

I agree. I'm a vegetarian and it doesn't bother me if someone does something like eat meat or not recycle in front of me. Freedom of choice. Someone hits a kid, yeah then it's something to stop.

join