It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In a first, TSA announces 7 Americans removed from no-fly list

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
About f-ing time.

The government's actions are in response to a June decision by US District Judge Anna Brown of Oregon, who ruled that the Traveler Redress Inquiry Program run by the Department of Homeland Security was unconstitutional and does not provide "a meaningful mechanism for travelers who have been denied boarding to correct erroneous information in the government's terrorism databases."

The government maintained that disclosing whether somebody is or isn't on a no-fly list would be a national security danger.
“This is a victory for transparency and fairness over untenable government secrecy and stonewalling,” said Hina Shamsi, an ACLU lawyer on the case.

The no-fly list is such BS. Run with it NLBS.

I really wonder if I'm on the thing. I haven't had to fly, but it sure would be nice to be able to see if I could before booking a flight, making arrangements and all that. My understanding is that you still don't know until you get there. I've probably farted in a Federal building or something so clearly I'm a danger.

Judge Brown's decision is expected to help others challenge their placement on the list.

That makes me happy. I'm fine with screening passengers and clearly there are going to be people that should be on a no-fly list, but the sheer number of people on the list currently is ridiculous. Do we even know how and WHY people get added?

One of the seven ACLU clients who was notified that they were not on the list was Ibraheim Mashal, a Marine veteran and dog trainer of Illinois.

“More than four years ago, I was denied boarding at an airport, surrounded by TSA agents, and questioned by the FBI,” Mashal said in a statement. “That day, many freedoms that I took for granted were robbed from me. I was never told why this happened, whether I was officially on the list, or what I could do to get my freedoms back. Now, I can resume working for clients who are beyond driving distance. I can attend weddings, graduations, and funerals that were too far away to reach by car or train. I can travel with my family to Hawaii, Jamaica, or anywhere else on vacation."

Yes, former Marine turned dog handler is probably a huge threat because his name sounds a little too ethnic. I'm sure a terrorist would never think to call himself John Whitebread Smith instead of Muhammed Beheadyouall Muhammed.

Glad to see some (if painfully slow and small) progress.

Link

P.S. Would love it if some people with more knowledge would be so kind as to add it to the thread. What gets you on the list, what rights if any do you have etc...

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I'm still not accepted by the NFL. It would be nice to be on that list so my daughter wouldn't try to talk me into going on a trip somewhere. My wife is supposed to take a trip to England with her next year. I'd rather go to hunting camp myself.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Secret names removed from a secret list that has secret criteria to get placed on.

Somehow I don't feel like this is a victory.

new topics

join