It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TERRORISM: Rumsfeld Faces Tough Questions From Troops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Tough questions were asked of Rumsfeld from American troops. Having prepared remarks, Rumsfeld tried to urge the troops who were made up of mostly National Guard and Reserve soldiers to not listen to those who are critics of the war in Iraq, and to "win the test of wills" with the insurgents. The questions from the troops were pointed, and addressed the lack of supplies and armor, seemingly to take Rumsfeld by surprise.

www.cnn.com
CAMP BUEHRING, Kuwait (AP) - Army Spc. Thomas Wilson, for example, of the 278th Regimental Combat Team that is comprised mainly of citizen soldiers of the Tennessee Army National Guard, asked Rumsfeld in a question-and-answer session why vehicle armor is still in short supply, nearly three years after the war in Iraq.

"Why do we soldiers have to dig through local landfills for pieces of scrap metal and compromised ballistic glass to uparmor our vehicles?" Wilson asked. A big cheer arose from the approximately 2,300 soldiers in the cavernous hangar who assembled to see and hear the secretary of defense.

Rumsfeld hesitated and asked Wilson to repeat his question.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The thought of our troops rummaging through landfills to try and find scrap metal, and already compromised bullet proof glass to help protect themselves is quite disheartening.

While no visual of war is really a good one, I've always been under the impression that supply is well above demand for our troops. The question must be asked, Is the state of our supply line to these brave men and women so faulty that they have to resort to this?

[edit on 12/8/2004 by superdude]

[edit on 8-12-2004 by ZeddicusZulZorander]

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I was just reading this article myself on yahoo and found it incredible!!

One soldiers asked why they were deployed with such a lack of armor for their vehicles...Rumsfeld's reply?

"You go to war with the Army you have"

I'm sick of saying "I'm sick of this regime"

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   
EnronOutrunHomerun I have to agree with you. It makes me sick to my stomach. I've always had this perception that the American War Machine was this omnipotent, unendingly supplied force. To not have armor? Rumsfeld was held out to dry, and it showed.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Rumsfeld totally dismissed the soldiers. He pretty much said, you volunteered, now deal. Why has Rumsfeld not been asked to resign? What is Bush's reason for keeping him on?

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Why has Rumsfeld not been asked to resign? What is Bush's reason for keeping him on?

Probably because Bush is counting on him to resign on his own, just like everyone else seems to be doing!

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   
How much are we spending on defense again? And where exactly is all these hundreds of billions of dollars going?

What I wonder is, is when are people going to notice the 3,200lbs gorilla sitting in the living room, that is government corruption? I hear a bunch of right-wing zombies around here constantly repeating the "There is no solid proof, that's speculation," mantra over and over. Well you know what, you don't need solid, video proof of things such as this. When the circumstances in comparision with peoples behavior tell the story and you just choose to deny it, you are as guilty as those committing the crime...

(reposted from duplicate thread)

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   

What I wonder is, is when are people going to notice the 3,200lbs gorilla sitting in the living room, that is government corruption? I hear a bunch of right-wing zombies around here constantly repeating the "There is no solid proof, that's speculation," mantra over and over. Well you know what, you don't need solid, video proof of things such as this. When the circumstances in comparision with peoples behavior tell the story and you just choose to deny it, you are as guilty as those committing the crime...

Huh??? What are you talking about?

I really don't follow that post at all.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Well you have to realize the Pentagon has to keep its big budget corporate contractors fed. They really can't be bothered with the guys on the ground.
Bush didn't add anything to the budget for it either, he had to give tax refunds to the rich and super rich instead.

WHAT DO THESE SOLDERS WANT ANYWAY?

respect? acknowlegement? proper equipment?
WHY OF ALL THE NERVE!

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Irony, indeed.....eh?

Marines in Fallujah say they are mostly satisfied with vehicle, body armor

NEAR FALLUJAH, Iraq (AP) Marines patrolling the former insurgent stronghold of Fallujah some in open Humvees say they've had some close calls, but ''get by well'' with the vehicle and body armor they have.

''I think the armor we have for the vehicles is getting better and our body armor is OK, I have nothing against it,'' Sgt. Aaron D'Amico said Wednesday.

seekerof

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Seekerof.

Read the article closely.

You will easily observe, on analysis, that you are watching The Three Stooges over a cast of thousands.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I've been reading about this, and the Defense Department keeps stressing that no repercussions will come to the soldiers who asked the questions. Yeah, right!

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   

I've been reading about this, and the Defense Department keeps stressing that no repercussions will come to the soldiers who asked the questions. Yeah, right!

Well I guess we will find out about that. If any "repercussions" do come down on these troops who had the cajones to ask the questions, then we are in bigger trouble than anyone of us thought.......

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   
The government doesnt give 2 hoots if these guys are killed or not.

Cant wait to see the "thoughtful" Christmas wishes to the troops from the White House at Christmas.

Kleenex, anyone?

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 06:15 PM
link   
The obvious answer Rummy should have given to lack of armour is because John Kerry voted for it before he voted against it, as did many other demos.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Frosty, you're desperate, dude!

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Great article! The vision of this soldier saying that to Rumsfeld is priceless. I'm sure it was a Kodak moment.

My opinion: When soldiers or sailors stop bitching, it's time to raise the white flag. Some things are as old as the hills and as timeless as the sky, and that is one of them.

Read more than that into this, and you're on your own.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 09:28 PM
link   
When I read the article I was pretty schocked and angry at this statement too:

Rumsfeld replied that, "You go to war with the Army you have," not the one you might want, and that any rate the Army was pushing manufacturers of vehicle armor to produce it as fast as humanly possible.

When I saw the actual exchange on CNN Rumsfeld explained to the soldier that it's not the fact that we don't want them armored or can't afford the armorment, it's a matter of "physics". He elaborated that they're armoring them as fast as possible. The statement I quoted that Rumsfeld made was nothing near the slap in the face this article, and this one on the BBC made it to be.

That's a prime example of a journalist twisting quotes to fit their agenda.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Great article! The vision of this soldier saying that to Rumsfeld is priceless. I'm sure it was a Kodak moment.

Wow, thanx majic - what a compliment! It's about time that it becomes public the feelings of the brave men and women who are defending our land.

Just wish i had a camera for the event!

new topics

top topics

join