It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA aprrove new experimental drug By Drug developer "Chemtrix" for treatment of ebola.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Mr. Duncan the Liberian man that contracted ebola and was diagnosed in Texas is been administered the experimental drug made by "Chimerix", for the treatment of ebola by request of his physician.

He is found to still be critical but stable. Mr. Duncan is the first human trial.

"Chimerix" is Durham drug developer

An experimental drug made by Durham drug developer Chimerix is being administered in Texas to a Liberian man infected with the Ebola virus.

Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas on Monday confirmed that Thomas Duncan is receiving the treatment.

“Mr. Duncan remains in critical condition. His condition is stable,” the hospital’s statement said. “He is now receiving an investigational medication, brincidofovir, for Ebola Virus Disease.”

Brincidofovir is made by Chimerix and is being tested for a variety of potent viruses.

Chimerix announced earlier Monday that it would be able to give the drug to Ebola patients as requested by treating physicians. The emergency request was granted by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s Emergency Investigational New Drug Applications branch.

Read more here: www.charlotteobserver.com...

I hope he does well as this trial drug seems promising.

edit on 6-10-2014 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Brincidofovir is the drug name.

Chimerix is the company.
edit on 6-10-2014 by ValentineWiggin because: typo

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Folks may want to invest in the manufacturer
edit on 6-10-2014 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ValentineWiggin

Thanks I will try to fix the tittle.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
What a name. I can't wait to see the mutations this will cause.

I always loved the term critical but stable. It's like "Well he's suffering terribly. Yeah real bad but it hasn't gotten any worse so we'll say he's stable."

Keeping my eye on Ebola and enterovirus-d68. I think they already have cures for this but they'll milk it for as long as they can. S + F

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Isn't "brincidofovir" the experimental drug and the company producing it called "CHIMERIX"?

Edit, eh never mind, someone beat me to it....

One perhaps odd thing though about the company, they had a HUGE CEO shift in April and also was the same company that refused (at first) to treat a little boy that was going to die anyways with this same drug.

Not to mention their stock prices are surging!

edit on 6-10-2014 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-10-2014 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco

Folks may want to invest in the manufacturer

Here

The company’s shares spiked this morning on the news. At mid-morning, it was priced at $32.76, up $2.70 a share. It trades as CMRX.

Source

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Yes got it fix,

Now is something about the company, this the first time that they develop a possible powerful anti viral treatment.

The company was on a losing path because it could not get the new experimental drug approved until next year, alas it got it approved by the FDA in an emergency request because of ebola

Chimerix, a 12-year-old drug developer with no products on the market, posted a $10.1 million first quarter loss as the company pushes ahead to win approval for its lead candidate, brincidofovir.

The potentially lifesaving drug recently gained the Durham company international media attention after the family of dying boy mounted a successful social media campaign to obtain the unapproved antiviral for the child on an experimental basis.

Brincidofovir is being developed to prevent fatal virus infections in certain cell transplant patients, the primary focus for Chimerix. The drug is not expected to win regulatory approval for public use until late 2016 at the earliest.

The experimental treatment is also being tested as a potential cure to infections of adenovirus, which causes the common cold in healthy people but can be fatal to patients with compromised immune systems. Brincidofovir attacks potent viruses without the toxic side effects of cidofovir, the primary medication in use today.

The first patient to receive the drug in pilot trial to cure viral infections was Josh Hardy, 8, the four-time cancer survivor whose family lobbied to gain access to brincidofovir. The boy has since been released from the hospital.

Chimerix’s first quarter loss was expected and is comparable to the $9.1 million first quarter loss in 2013.

www.newsobserver.com...

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
mmMmm I always love me a good bowl of Chemtrix in the morning!

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Hmmm...drug companies found a way to fast-track new drugs, without Americans crying foul.

I imagine many, many more people who have been exposed in their country will grab some Tylenol and try to make it here.

I hope the gentleman recovers, and they find an effective treatment.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: chrismarco

Well if this antiviral works and they get to "share" the property rights to ebola, they will prove to be very profitable, from a losing trend to a boosting trend thanks to getting their drug approved for trial.

Chimerix Inc. stock on the Nasdaq jumped 7 percent Monday between 1:40 p.m. and 2:10 p.m. EDT.

Stocks boost now 31.47

Like another poster said, I hope is goes well and doesn't result on some nasty side effects.

He was not given a second anti viral beside ZMapp and this new one because the side effects could make a sick person sicker. I can only imagine that is either from Tekmira or GlaxonSmith.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

Try your chances with the highly evolved (or divinely delivered) human immune system or with an experimental anti-viral drug?

I'm taking the human immune system.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

I had a discussion with a friend of mine about hat issue today, she is a traveling nurse, we wonder how many people will try to get into the US be by plane or border if US get Mr. Ducan cured.

I can no blame them.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

Sadly given the track record and mortality rates of ebola in countries suffering from pandemic, ebola is very hard on the immune system with very low surviving rates, yes some people can survive it, but that is about a very small percentage.

top topics

join