It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABUSE CRISIS: U.S. Special Forces Threatened DIA Operatives Over Witnessed Abuse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 06:13 PM
link   
U.S. Special Forces who were witnessed abusing prisoners threatened Defense Intelligence Agency personnel who saw the acts. This revelation came to light from government memos released by the ACLU. Their emails were monitored and they were ordered not to talk about it to anyone. FBI agents also sent warning reports to Army officials as early as a full year before the scandal broke. The memos also highlight the tension between the FBI and the Army regarding the treatment of prisoners.

story.news.yahoo.com
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - U.S. special forces accused of abusing prisoners in Iraq threatened Defense Intelligence Agency personnel who saw the mistreatment, according to U.S. government memos released Tuesday by the American Civil Liberties Union.

The special forces also monitored e-mails sent by defense personnel and ordered them "not to talk to anyone" in the United States about what they saw, said one memo written by the Defense Intelligence Agency chief, who complained to his Pentagon bosses about the harassment.

In addition, the special forces confiscated photos of a prisoner who had been punched in the face.

Prisoners arriving at a detention center in Baghdad had "burn marks on their backs" as well as bruises and some complained of kidney pain, according to the June 25, 2004 memo.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Really now, enough is enough. Time has long come for Wolfowitz as well as Rumsfield to resign in this issue. This is perhaps the worst case of bureaucratic mismanagement I have ever seen. The buck stops with Rumsfield and he should be man enough to do what is right. There is no doubt in my mind that Rumsfield was aware of exactly what was going on. Its disgusting that he remains in office.

[edit on 7-12-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I couldn't agree more Fred, nice report. It is time someone got a hold of these people in charge and put a stop to this nonsense. Is it mice or men running the place?

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   
At least we can all be happy that none of this broke out in the public eye before the "election".

Actually there are a few that would rejoice in the election result, who would say the treatment of Abu Ghraib prisoners did not constitute abuse in the first place.

Not all homo sapiens are the same.

(It's often a good piece of ATS ritual to show the Rumsfeld-Saddam Hussein handshake greeting at this juncture to give the matter more perspective.)

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 07:09 PM
link   
FredT, you make me chuckle.

You went for Bush, now you seem to have discovered problems with Bush's boys.

If you ever have a gun, careful you don't shoot yourself in the foot.

Any of you know about people who get married expecting to 'change' someone?
You might look in a mirror, FredT.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by slank
Any of you know about people who get married expecting to 'change' someone? You might look in a mirror, FredT.

Looked, like what I see. Unlike the seeming blind devotion to Kerry, who lets be honest was simply a party hack, I voted for who I felt best served the United States, and my family. Are you saying that you would and should blindly support the entire administration say if Kerry had won? Are you saying that you feel Warren Chirstopher of the Clinton administration was the best???? Slank I admire your blind devotion and singlemindedness on the issue. I never was a fan of Rumsfield. I stand by my support for Bush but never did like Rumsfield and never supported him. Guess what, Kerry lost, get over it.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Slank, I would assume that ad hominem was beyond all of us here on ATS; quite the personal remarks and adress the issue at hand.

This is going to be an atrophy to the moral of the army in Iraq, it's acts like this, "Might equals right", that serviced an era of perpetual violence the world over.

What one wonders is wether or not some may have been 'silenced' for revealing to much information.

I, like Fredt, also ask for these men to muster up the courage to accept whatever consequences that may be attributed to them.

Dee[

top topics

join