It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We can now remotely control paralyzed rats, letting them walk again: Humans are next

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 06:25 AM
link   

In the void left by the anticlimactic World Cup exoskeleton adventure, other efforts to make the paralyzed walk again are recapturing the spotlight. Chief among them is Grégoire Courtine’s research group at the EPFL in Switzerland. Their latest breakthroughs, just published in Science Translational Medicine, suggest that a more grounded approach is to repower the locomotive effort at the level of the spinal cord. The researchers were able to get the paralyzed rats to walk on their hind two legs with the help of a treadmill and harness. What makes this feat impressive is that the rats had no control over their own legs because their spinal cords were completely severed.

We can now remotely control paralyzed rats, letting them walk again: Humans are next

Project NEUWalk Closer to Clinical Trials

Hopefully this technology will someday in the not too distant future allow humans with severe spinal injuries to walk again to a fashion.

Amazing really.

edit on 26-9-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Oh, I know this one, this level is really hard with the evil kitty end boss.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: AntiDude

The poor wee Rat don't look too pleased all the same.

Shame we have to experiment on animals to further our own scientific endeavours. Then again given the possible applications I guess its a necessary evil.

Pic you referenced reminds me of the latest South Park game.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Yes it´s for a good cause I guess.

They should take control of its little arms too and strap it with with a little machine gun.

edit on 26-9-2014 by AntiDude because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Hmmm... Now to remotely control cats.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Sounds like the evolution of MK ultra to me.

Poor rats though, animals should be free just like us and not be scientific playboys.

edit on 26-9-2014 by Shuye because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I want a remote controlled Ant or Termite with video/audio hookup, blaupunkt and high beams with cruise control to run around/drive inside the nest. hydraulics could be optional.

Spooky scary guys at a secret lab someplace create and release them for the Christmas gift giving season.

Wants one.

edit on 26-9-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Something along the lines of the nasty little dude above is not that far beyond the realms of possibility i imagine!

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake actually we already have this link

top topics

join