It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Desktop won’t fit the TV screen - THE FIX !!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Just to recap.

I used some crapware cleaners and after restarting, the desktop was box shape with parts on the sides of the desktop not used and blacked out. I didn’t know which cleaner it was as I had used several of them.

I run win 7 home edition on an ATS Z68 Pro3-M motherboard with Intel (R) HD Graphics card.

This is what I did to try to fix the problem.

updated the VGA driver - no good
changed the resolution – no good
changed the TV display settings using Media Centre - no good, changes would not stick
Reinstalled the most recent image - no good
did a repair install - no good
did a clean install - no good
used another computer – no good
turned the TV off, waited 30 seconds and turned on again - no good

To fix this problem, this is what I did.

I opened up the Intel Graphics Control Panel and in there, there is an option to use ‘widescreen’ mode. I ticked this but it still would not go. By playing around with the settings I managed to reset the settings to the current set up with the 'widescreen mode' now as the default mode and funtastica !!!, ITS FIXED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The purpose of this thread is tell others about this fix so it will help others in the future. Thanks to those who offered help in my previous two threads on this problem.

cheers

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Problems of this nature are mostly menu driven as compatibility is worked out for the most part by things like IEEE. Some menu design is poorly implemented or perhaps driven to attend to another culture. I deal with this stuff on a daily basis. Usually you plug one device into another and all goes well, other times........ If I know the dynamics are sound i.e. signals are routed properly and all that nonsense is out of the way it's menu time for each device involved in the chain.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Did you mean to say ASRock motherboard?

Guessing that ATS is the dealer you bought it from.

Also a bit curious about what type of TV you are using...

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 05:31 AM
link   
On my old tv I had to use the Nvidia control panel and manually set the screen resolution to get the picture to fit, this meant I was getting 1052x706 as opposed to the standard 1080x720 format. That tv was around 5 years old.

My new tv is different, 1080x720 and 1920x1080 both appeared correctly without the need to alter any settings. I'm using the same pc with the same graphics card so it had to be the tv at fault in my case, my guess would be its the same for you.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:07 AM
link   
a reply to: learnatic

Most TVs have the option "Just Scan" in the aspect ratio menu, selecting this option generally fixes the problem regarding desktop size on the TV.
edit on 20-9-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: learnatic

I did try and hook up my pc to my tv and I don't think my issue was necessarily that it did not fit the whole screen but the desktop icons still remained way to small....

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

Yes, I did mean an AS Rock motherboard, my apologies. The TV is a Philips LCD TV

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   
One other thing that I have changed is that I used a DVI cable to connect the computer to the TV. My TV is about 10 years old but its never had the problem before and its working OK now.

top topics

join