It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: State Quarters And Redoing The Penny

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 12:37 AM
link   
The U.S. Mint's State Quarter distribution has been the most successful program the mint has done(making them 4 billion $US). Nickels have also been remade to honor the Louisiana Purchase and the Lewis and Clark Expedition. As we near 2009, the bicentennial of Abraham Lincoln�s birth, the Mint is trying to figure out how to make a new penny to commemorate the event.

www.msnbc.msn.com
While Congress ultimately decides what new coins the Mint will produce, the centennial of the Lincoln penny in 2009 (which is also the bicentennial of Abraham Lincoln�s birth) presents an enormous opportunity, Fore said in an interview Friday.

�We do anticipate the penny will have a chance for a redesign,� Fore said, noting that a commission was working with Congress on ways to honor Lincoln�s bicentennial.

The benchmark is the series of quarters honoring each state in the order it entered the union. As of the last fiscal year � the latest for which complete figures are available � the Mint had made about $4 billion from them, making the quarters �the most successful coin program in United States history,� Fore said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think this is just another way for the government to cash in on a novelty that otherwise would cost them money. The cost to make a penny (especially when they will be making new molds for new pennys) is more than a penny's worth anyways.

Was this the governments orginal idea? To make 4 billion dollars? It's a very clever idea, but i think these pennys might just be pushing the envelope.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 02:50 AM
link   
i thought they were going to redo the dime to put reagens head on it. i dont know i think thats what i heard?

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by themegaman
i thought they were going to redo the dime to put reagens head on it. i dont know i think thats what i heard?

I think it is likely that Reagan will be put on the dime, but Nancy has been cool to this idea. I think when she passes on, the public support will be hard to ignore.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Its more likely that they will put Reagans head on one side and Satans on the other. The first 'double-headed' coin minted.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 03:07 AM
link   
I am less ethusiastic about the penny, as I think the wheat cent was the best design. It's main problem was excessive wear on the high relief, but it was a well balanced and clean look. The one thing I liked about the memorial cent was the image of the statue inside the memorial.

They might put a log cabin on the reverse, but that might not be a very good association in these times of aternative Republican organizations. Ford's theater would probably be in poor taste.

Perhaps a referal to Sherman's march across Georgia.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Boo.

What are you going to show, homesteads burning and civilians being lined up and executed for being suspected of sypathy for the confederacy? Maybe show the burning city of Atlanta? Yuck Grady, I hope you were being sarcastic.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Pisky,
They should just have the Devil pitch forking Reagan in the butt, cause I knows that boy is in Hell for all the pain he caused while he was alive.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I've allways liked the British 1 pound coin, much better than the American attempts at dollar coins. The American dollar coins were allways like big quarters or something, whereas the British pound coins weren't the largest in circumference, but have an edging that is tactilly different and are very thick. Plus it was differently coloured than most of the other coins in the system. The current dollar coin is at least gold coloured. Anyway, thats my 2 cents. bwa hahahahaha. sorry, couldn't resist.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 08:06 AM
link   

OOh, I like that, it would certainly be a big middle finger in the face of all that 'PC' fascism everyone is allways complaining about. Maybe the other side could have a liberated slave standing ontop of a trambled stars and bars, or the wording could say 'In Reconstruction there is Virtue'. Man, Dennys across the South would refuse to accept pennies for a long while.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 09:26 AM
link   

I was thinking maybe the suspension of habeas corpus, or the Reconstruction of the South, exposing the martial law and forced re-entry into the union.

As a side note, I feel if he had faced reelection and not been assassinated, we'd have a very different view of Lincoln.

Twitchy, don't get mad at anyone for talking about history, expose history, good and bad.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 09:36 AM
link   
So they are going to print money that already exists by spending more money. Does this seem like a waste of money to anyone else?

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Personly i think the gov has to much time on its hands and has play monaply to much letting the game go to its head.
so they are trying to recreat the game by issuning money that wile looks good holds no real value .

Relistickly theres only two things that matter in your countrys currency .
one it holds real value gold or trade goods type. Two its secure from making fakes easly . we dont realy need our money backed by gold if our infostructer creats enough productes to sell then the value is the same.
back in the 60des the gold demand wasnot needed as the US was the major exporter of just about everthing from cars to washing machines to phones . each of these things holds real value in the world just like gold except the value of said item goes down with time unlike gold wich is easly solved by selling more of that item.
the problem is today we produce almost nothing and all the value we have is almost intirely paper wich is unstable to say the lest.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Who needs coins and bills anyway? I'm always paying with plastic and then pay the bill electronically.

I think the physical money should be replaced with cards, the tehcnology is already there.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita
Who needs coins and bills anyway? I'm always paying with plastic and then pay the bill electronically.

I think the physical money should be replaced with cards, the tehcnology is already there.

I guess I'm quite the contrary, I have plastic, and have online billpay available. But I perfer to use money, and pay my bill at the store in cash.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by BeingWatchedByThem

Originally posted by Aelita

I guess I'm quite the contrary, I have plastic, and have online billpay available. But I perfer to use money, and pay my bill at the store in cash.

Why? Money is a message, and electronic message does the job. Why the expense and insecurity of the physical object representing the message.

Down with cash. I want a retina scan a means of payment.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I wish I could remeber where I read it but there was something on the NWO, and ot the 'end times' and their final signal that all was in place was changing the lowest demonination of US currency, hell it may have been in revelations somewhere. Can't find it on google but "money+NWO" is a pretty loosely worded search query. Any of you guys read something similar?

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Oh yeah I remember Twitchy,

In the end time, they replace the penny with a morphing robot the burrows through your pocket into your skin , it kills you and turns your corpse into a zombie. The zombie then votes in the next election to elect Satan, or was that the last election?

new topics

top topics

join