It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

modern cinema: enjoyable?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
People expect more and more out of movies all the time. The thing is movies are made in a way so they will look and sound good in cinemas and on bluray disks. They try to make everything very detail oriented in visuals and sounds. Its not to desensitize people its because people are desensitized to begin with. People are so constantly stimulated that the only way to distract from other problems is with even stronger stimulation. BUT thats only action films that really does that so much. Which is entirely the point.

There are some movies that are very good I think and there are those that dont use the standard formula either.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aural

There are some movies that are very good I think and there are those that dont use the standard formula either.

Of the more than 100 new movies I've screened in 2014, I consider 'The Congress' to be one of the most relevant and enlightening.

Currently playing at a theatre near you.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: introspectionist

Has someone forced you to go to films you don't like? Have you been brainwashed or held at gunpoint? Blame yourself for choosing those types of films. You can easily watch previews or go online and read about the type of film you're about to see. As for the noise level, that's the theater setting the sound too high. Many theaters set the sound level for a full house (bodies absorb sound) so when there are fewer people in the theater, the sound level is too high. Complain to the manager. Go to a better theater.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Feltrick

Captain America: The Winter Soldier, to me anyway, felt like a very clunky, very expected, predictable sequel. I loved the first film - I thought it set up the introduction the whole avengers idea very well. The whole sequel however just felt a bit bland. I'm not sure if they were trying to tie the feel of the story in with the generation captain amaerica was originally from, but in terms of plot, or depth, it wasn't anywhere near as good as the marvel writers usually are.

Maybe I was expecting more. Maybe I expected too much. I can't decide. I have friends who loved it, and friends who hate it. Some compare sit to another Wolverine (possibly the worst marvel film ever made [even beyond howard the duck]).

Guardians of the Galaxy though.... what a bresh of fresh air in the genre

When I saw the trailer I hated it. It looked cheesy, tacky, predictable, and utter garbage. 10 mins in to the actual film though and I was already in love. I honesty think it's one of marvel's best films. Having somewhat of a crush over the intro to x-men 2, those are bold words

tl;dr I thought Guardians was better than Winter Soldier

Peace

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: introspectionist
a reply to: Thundersmurf

a reply to: AlphaHawk

But maybe we need contrast. Maybe we need Nicki Minaj to recognize the brilliance of Mozart.

This question alone, as a catalyst for debate, is fantastic. We could potentially have a megathread in the philosophy forum forum based on this thread title alone.

Yes, we definitely need contrast. The extremes of our perception, and social interactions define the scale upon which we determine the value/cost of almost every memory/action we have in our lives. I hate One Direction, but it helps me realise how much I appreciate a talented song craftsmen like Geoff Buckley. We definitely need contrast in our lives.

And maybe you need to dumb down a bunch of people into slaves using Nicki Minaj in order to be able to afford symphonic orchestras playing classical composers.

This is a whole other topic. I honestly don't think that humans are controllable, or easily convinced, enough to be controlled by one entity who has a the impact on our lives to shape our every thought. I think you're correct in believing that the masses are becoming dumbed down, but I don't think someone is dumbing us down on purpose. It just seems as if simple thrills are trending. Instant gratification is the big seller these days. That's why people like Nicki Minaj can become popular in this day, and age.

I would it if there was just one entity, group, or person behind all this. That way we could end all this suffering of seemingly controlled change that we endure, but I genuinely think that society is as much a product of ourselves as ourselves are a product of society. They feed in to each other. Whatever new show/game/song that is exposed to the largest relevant audience ends up being popular with the masses.

It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: introspectionist

What did you expect from "Guardians of the Galaxy" and "X-Men"? The titles, alone, should have alerted you to the nature of the films. If you want to see a serious drama, go to one. If you want a comedy,go to one. If you want sci-fi, go to one. If you want fantasy, go to one. It's really not the difficult. Read the reviews at rottentomatoes.com (a very good site, despite the silly name).

Like all industries, the film industry is a business and creates products that make money. If you buy a ticket to "X-Men" you're increasing the chance that additional similar films will be made. IT's not rocket science, it's common sense. It's like buying a ticket to a sideshow advertising freaks and then complaining that you had to look at them.

edit on 13-9-2014 by Tangerine because: punctuation error fixed

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join