It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The worlds most favourate snack?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I just wondered what this would be? and what "innocent drug" goes with it?

In RSA it is suppose to be Niknaks - a maize snack / chip - www.simba.co.za...

My two and four year old kids are absolutely hooked on the stuff and will drive you mad for more - is it the MSG www.nomsg.com... in it. It takes real discipline for us adults not to be the same as them....

Are we all knowingly being "doped" with this MSG (or whatever)?

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
MSG isn't addictive. I think it just has a reaction to your taste buds to make your brain think it tastes really good. Most Chinese take-out restaurants use it.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by CookieMonster000
MSG isn't addictive. I think it just has a reaction to your taste buds to make your brain think it tastes really good. Most Chinese take-out restaurants use it.

I have heard and read information to the contrary cookiemonster, 'll dig around but from what I have read recently there is more to MSG than meets the eye.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Never heard of MSG being addictive .. but heck, you learn something new everyday.

*Zerinity*

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 09:34 PM
link   
MSG is often hidden in many products or even within the products that claim to be MSG-Free....

Some say it is addictive, others say it's not....However, it's been around for quite some time...The Chinese believe that there there is another flavor besides the ones we know (sweet, salty, etc)....It's basically what you'd call "savory"....MSG is a chemical that replicates this flavor and tricks your brain into thinking the food tastes a certain way...

The real question is, why in the hell do we even use MSG?! There are plenty of flavoring substitutes out there that can replace it without the potential for risk...

This website provides a list of collected reports on adverse reactions to MSG..."Mood swings" and "Rage reactions" are listed there, so maybe there is a connection there with your children's reactions....

However, that site is obviously very bias in its presentation of material, so I wouldn't trust everything it says, but doing a simple search on MSG in google will bring up plenty of alternative sources...

[edit on 12/6/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Indonesian ferry crossing kiosks:

Deep fried frog on a stick.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Indonesian ferry crossing kiosks:

Deep fried frog on a stick.

LMAO....What is it? Deep-fried in tumeric powder?!

[edit on 12/6/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I try to stay away from processed food, whenever I eat something with MSG in it, I usually have trouble sleeping and my face gets flused really easily. Theres a ton of side-effects, I honestly dont even know why they use it. The FDA is full of douche-bags. $$$$

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Sugar is the worlds most addictive snack. It has almost all of us going back for our favorite foods.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Sugar in what form (candy or as you use it in porridge)?

If I leave a bowl of chips and a bowl of sugar in front of my kids, they will go for both - (have never done this though:-) , but I'll bet they will finish the chips first.

Back to my original post - What snack is most popular in the USA (for instance) and why?

I just have my personal doubts about MSG (after having done some research before the post) - but perhaps there is something else?

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I would say sugar in candy. Chocolate is consumed a lot in the US.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I am pulling this from my research folder and don't have a link to this article and the author was listed as unknown, but I have looked into the following and found the information to be accurate. A search on google with the text should pull it up on a couple of sites though...

Slow Poisoning MSG (Monosodium Glutamate.) hides behind 25 or more names, such as "Natural Flavoring" or "Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein"...
In hundreds of studies around the world, scientists were creating obese mice. and rats to use in diet or diabetes test studies. No strain of rat or mice is naturally obese, so the scientists have to create them. They make these morbidly obese creatures by injecting them with MSG when they are first born. The MSG triples the amount of insulin the pancreas creates...

That would explain the diabetes epidemic in industrialized countries, also goes a long way to explaining the obesity problems as well. If additives to food to make them addictive sounds far fetched to you, then ask yourself why they would put MSG in our food to begin with considering that...

So why is MSG in so may of the foods we eat? Is it a preservative or a vitamin? Not according to my friend John. In the book he wrote, an expose of the food additive industry called The Slow Poisoning of America, (www.spofamerica.com), he said that MSG is added to food for the addictive effect it has on the human body. Even the propaganda website sponsored by the food manufacturers lobby group supporting MSG at: www.msgfacts.com... explains that the reason they add it to food is to make people eat more. A study of
elderly people showed that people eat more of the foods that it is added to....The MSG manufacturers themselves admit that it addicts people to their products. It makes people choose their product over others, and makes people eat more of it than they would if MSG wasn't added.

But they wouldn't put something in our food that was bad for us would they?

Not only is MSG scientifically proven to cause obesity, it is an addictive
substance! Since its introduction into the American food supply fifty years ago,
MSG has been added in larger and larger doses to the prepackaged meals, soups,
snacks and fast foods we are tempted to eat everyday.
The FDA has set no limits on how much of it can be added to food. They claim it's safe to eat in any amount. How can they claim it is safe when there are hundreds of scientific studies with titles like these?
The monosodium glutamate (MSG) obese rat as a model for the study of exercise in obesity.
Gobatto CA, Mello MA, Souza CT, Ribeiro IA. Res Commun Mol Pathol Pharmacol.
Adrenalectomy abolishes the food-induced hypothalamic serotonin release in both normal and monosodium glutamate-obese rats. Guimaraes RB, Telles MM, Coelho VB, Mori RC, Nascimento CM, Ribeiro Brain Res Bull. 2002 Aug.
Obesity induced by neonatal monosodium glutamate treatment in spontaneously hypertensive rats: an animal model of multiple risk factors. Iwase M, Yamamoto M, Iino K, Ichikawa K, Shinohara N, Yoshinari Fujishima
Hypertens Res. 1998 Mar.
Hypothalamic lesion induced by injection of monosodium glutamate in suckling period and subsequent development of obesity. Tanaka K, Shimada M, Nakao K, Kusunoki Exp Neurol. 1978 Oct.
Yes, that last study was not a typo, it WAS written in 1978. Both the medical research community and food "manufaturers" have known MSG's side effects for decades! Many more studies mentioned in John Erb's book link MSG to Diabetes, Migraines and headaches, Autism, ADHD and even Alzheimer's.

If they thought you would buy more potato chips, you damn right they would. But why doesn't somebody sue their pants off? Hey that's a good question, let's see...

George W. Bush and his corporate supporters are pushing a
Bill through Congress. Called the "Personal Responsibility in Food Consumption Act" also known as the "Cheeseburger Bill", this sweeping law bans anyone from suing food manufacturers, sellers and distributors. Even if it comes out that they purposely added an addictive chemical to their foods.
Read about it for yourself at:
www.yahoo.com.http...://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/2004
0311/ap_on_go_co/obesity_lawsuits_4
The Bill has already been rushed through the House of Representatives, and is due for the same rubber stamp at Senate level. It is important that Bush and his corporate supporters get it through before the media lets everyone know about MSG, the intentional Nicotine for food. Several months ago, John Erb took his book and his concerns to one of the highest government health officials in Canada. While sitting in the Government office, the official told him "Sure I know how bad MSG is, I wouldn't touch the stuff!" But this top level government official refused to tell the public what he knew.
The big media doesn't want to tell the public either, fearing legal issues with their advertisers. It seems that the fallout on the fast food industry may hurt their profit margin....The food industry learned a lot from the tobacco industry. Imagine if big tobacco had a bill like this in place before someone blew the whistle on Nicotine?

Because the Food industry is a major lobby, that's why.
Check this out...

Go to the National Library of Medicine, at www.pubmed.com Type in the
words "MSG Obese" and read a few of the 115 medical studies that appear.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Any of you guys have additional reasearch into MSG, I'd be interested in reading more as the more I read up on some of these food additives, the more concerned I become. I used to watch folks go into these health food stores and in the back of mind I would think, 'wow man get over it, it's all food' but maybe I was premature eh?

Edit:
Jesus have you guys read up on Aspartame? The former head of the FDA overturned the Administration's reccomendations to ban Aspartame, then the guy quit the FDA and took a fat paying job with the Aspartame company, another point of order I find shockig is the company that developed Aspartame was also contracting from the US Governemt to develop Chemical Weapons, Aspartame was not originally intended to be a sweetener!

[edit on 8-12-2004 by twitchy]

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I was interested in the other things they call MSG - did some looking around

These things contain (or are) MSG:

glutamate
glutamic acid
gelatin
monosodium glutamate
calcium caseinate
textured protein
monopotassium glutamate
sodium caseinate
yeast nutrient
yeast extract
yeast food
autolyzed yeast
hydrolyzed protein
hydrolyzed corn gluten

These things often contain MSG:

textured protein
carrageenan
vegetable gum
seasonings
spices
flavorings
natural flavorings
chicken flavoring
beef flavoring
pork flavoring
smoke flavoring
bouillon
broth
stock
barley malt
malt extract
malt flavoring
whey protein
whey protein isolate
whey protein concentrate
soy protein
soy protein isolate
soy protein concentrate
soy sauce
soy extract

Also, MSG can be a natural vegetable by-product. For example, as a tomato ripens, the level of glutamate rises. Glutamate can also be the by-product of a fermentation process such as with aged cheese. The body processes artificial MSG and natural glutamates in the same way.

I think THIS would he a shorter list....

What CAN we eat?

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 03:08 AM
link   
OMG - if you wanna get into aspartame - then you gotta go into all artificial sweetners.....

I'll just take my real sugar......... (which isn't good for you either)

Again - WHAT CAN WE EAT?

This is the hard question -
if you have to stay away from pastuerized food, nitrates, MSG, and artificial sweetners......

that just leaves rabbit food and pesticides..........

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Chocolate chocolate chocolate chocolate ...CHOCOLATE

And chicken of course

Why does everything weird taste like chicken ?

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Also, MSG can be a natural vegetable by-product. For example, as a tomato ripens

Interesting one - my little girl is almost abnormally fond of tomatoes - luckily this "addiction" will fade away with time - or perhaps there is something else in the DNA engineered tomatoes that we eat lately.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Realax I have 6 boys and my on 12 year old just loves most kinds of hot sauce all kids go through a faveret food faze and everone in a wile a kid will just pick an unussal food . They grow out of it.
I even have to put the hot sauce in my bed room to keep him from drinking it out of the bottol lol. I think he got that from me as Im parcial to it at times.

top topics

join