It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 days [PAN2014]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 02:34 AM
link   
"The killer awoke before dawn,
he put his boots on,
he took a face from the ancient gallery
and walked on down the hall".

Jim Morrison The Doors

There was alot of speculation as to where it came from, but one thing was known, the EB180 virus, spread like wildfire when it hit Paris.

Over 6 billion people, died Year One.

But that wasn't the best part, no sir, not even close, the best part was what the now infamous SmartCchip Technology™ did to hundreds of millions of dead people, which of course, left me in my current predicament.

My name, is Thomas E Baker.

Once upon a time, three mighty corporations merged and produced what was hailed as mankind's greatest achievement. SmartCchip Technology™ . The blending of the internet, a nano computer and the human mind. It was first tested extensively by the military and after a number of decades it became widely used in the general populace.

A human simply swallowed the SmartCchip™ pill and presto! Your body began to run at optimal efficiency thanks to downloadable apps. Your brain was now connected via wifi and cell towers to the Cloud™. No need for smartphones or computers!

Of course there were serious concerns and outrage for the first few years over this new technology.There were conspiracy theories. There were protests and demonstrations, I think there were even some bombings. Which led to Congressional investigations, FDA, EPA, FCC and all kinds of red tape at first. But when they figured out how to license and tax the technology, it was all good.

Sure there were glitches, and even some negligence and cover ups but after the years went by, the technology just plain worked.

Humans functioned at maximum efficiency but this is the real interesting part.

Have you ever heard the old saying "the lights are on, but nobodies home"? Well that's what this technology allowed.

The device actually learned peoples behaviour and skills. Using instinct, intuition and access to memories, SmartCchip™ allowed a human to perform almost any job subconsciously. Military, firefighter, a secretary a dentist, any job could be performed while the person was thinking about something else, and the job would be done perfectly, with optimal efficiency!

This development was a little creepy at first, but imagine being able to do research all day while your body and subconscious handled the boring mundane stuff in your life.

What actually happened is people would use it to play games and watch movies or talk with their friends. Massive online role playing games were perfected. Actual utopias were created for people to spend there time while there body was making a living.

The technology upgrades even got so good, that you could barely tell if a Chipped person was in the Cloud™ or really present with you. Much to the consternation of many significant others.

Then came EB180

The virus swept across the planet and brought death. All you had to do was touch a door handle, a cup, or anything an infected person touched within 3 days, and you got it, and you were dead. It would live on an object for 3 days, and it would kill you in 3 days.

But, the weird side effect for the Chippers was that if the technology was active and they were in the Cloud™ when they died, SmartCchip™ would keep them "alive", their mind was gone, but the Chip kept their body going. Apps that were designed to give life support until medical personnel could revive the body ( within 30 minutes max) now were fueling a zombie apocalypse.

At first Server Hubs were reportedly shutting Chippers off, but I assume that corporate headquarters was hit with the virus, because after a week, Chippers just kept walking around and contaminating everything around them.

They seemed to be seeking out anything alive to help "revive" themselves. Spreading the virus. Killing more people.

This ain't old school Romero stuff, just poor dead saps programmed to get help.

I am safe as long as I keep this hazmat suit on and don't touch anything contaminated.

The Chippers programming seems to keep the body going by still eating and drinking, they also rest from time to time.

The last few weeks many of them seem glitchy, they seem to be trying to go back to there "jobs" and activities.

Food is harder to come by, and now that I think about it, I haven't seen a dog or cat for a month (Hey, don't look at me)

The few of us alive, have decided it is best to stay apart for now, you know the whole "eggs in one basket" dilemma.

I stand alone, on a moonlit rooftop, overlooking the city. I am surrounded by Chippers.

My last scare came a few hours ago, I walked through some sketchy stuff and then accidentally touched my boots with no glove on.

I'd been so careful up til now.

I guess I'll have to wait 3 days to know for sure.

]
edit on 6-9-2014 by dusty1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: dusty1
I like it, dusty1...
Good one...and...thanks for the entertainment (I hope that's all it is...!)!

edit on 9/6/2014 by WanDash because: you know...

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: WanDash

Thanks Wandash.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   

A worthy story! Great premise!

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Chilling. We humans think that technology is SO worked out and vetted and okeydokeyfinethen. But there are problems with technology.... why? Because they are created by humans, who are not infallible.

Enjoyed your story!

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Wow, you have some imagination! And your writing style is really enjoyable and easy to read. I could have read much, much more of that one.

top topics

join