It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Town populated mainly by women seek single men.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 03:51 AM
link   
A town where the majority of the population is made up of young women has made an appeal for single men but only those willing to live by female rules. Over 600 women make up the population of Noiva do Cordeiro, southeast Brazil, most aged between 20 and 35. Some are married with families but their husbands are made to work away from home, only being allowed to return at weekends and if they have sons they are sent away when they reach 18.

The settlement dates back to the 1890s, when a young woman and her family were excommunicated from the Catholic church after she was accused of adultery. Slowly more single women and mother-only families joined the community, and over the decades several attempts by men to intervere in their way of life made them adopt a strictly 'no male' policy.

Today, girl power rules in the rural town, with women in charge of every aspect of life - from farming to town planning and even religion.
But while none of the residents of Noiva do Cordeiro would have it any other way, it has left them with just one problem.
One of the women, Nelma Fernandes, 23, admits it's impossible for the girls - renowned in the region as strikingly beautiful - to find a would-be spouse. She said: "Here, the only men we single girls meet are either married or related to us, everyone is a cousin. I haven't kissed a man for a long time. "We all dream of falling in love and getting married. But we like living here and don't want to have to leave the town to find a husband.

ladies from the town have now made an appeal for interested men to come to them but only those willing to adapt to living in a women's world. Ms Fernandes said: "We'd like to get to know men who would leave their own lives and come to be a part of ours. "But first they need to agree to do what we say and live according to our rules."

In the 1940s, an evangelical pastor, Anisio Pereira, took one of the town's 16-year-old girls as his wife and founded a church there, imposing strict puritanical rules. When he died in 1995, the town's women determined that they would never again be subject to male domination, and they dismantled Pereira's church.

I didn't know a place like this existed! I have some admiration for these women, fair play to them!

Link

couldn't help but be reminded a little of this
-

edit on 28-8-2014 by Lady_Tuatha because: typo

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 03:58 AM
link   
so if I go there and fall in love with one woman there, i'd have to leave every week except for the weekends?

+17 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 04:01 AM
link   
I'm already looking at flight tickets. I'm going to shoot a baby into all of those woman and return home....

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Yeah! Its all fun and games until 'junk whacking' week comes round once a month.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 04:03 AM
link   
a reply to: RodNasty

yep, that's their rules.

+12 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 04:04 AM
link   
It's a trap.

+13 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Ehm. Perhaps, in hindsight, kicking the religion at fault to the curb, rather than an entire gender would have been a better option for them. Congrats, amigas, you made men the second-class throw-aways you despised being?

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 04:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Lady_Tuatha

what a classic...and yes death by snu snu is what immediately came to mind...any man there would have 2 very strong emotions ...yey...argh...yay...argh...

on a serious note though wow that would be one hard place to live,in fact i think the men there would look forward to going away
edit on 28-8-2014 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: jumped the gun

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I wonder what they get upto when the men are away.
I bet they eat a couple a year so nope not going.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 04:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
I wonder what they get upto when the men are away.
I bet they eat a couple a year so nope not going.

That would bring a whole new meaning to the phrase "She's hungry for -- " .... *cough* Never mind.

I wonder what becomes of the male offspring sent away, psychologically. I can't imagine this sets up a good foundation for loving a future partner in a fully committed sense (not that Americans are one to talk about marital commitment, BUT...)

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 04:18 AM
link   
lol feminazis. I'll pass.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 04:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Lady_Tuatha

O

I don't need to read your OP,...

Packing as fast as I can......

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 04:23 AM
link   
a reply to: AK907ICECOLD

.... Then death by Snu-Snu!!!!

The soul is willing, but the flesh is weak

, those of you that caught that..

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 04:50 AM
link   
:slobber flows: I WANT TO BE THEEEERE :slobber flows:

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Givers of Pain and Delight....

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 05:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lady_Tuatha
A town where the majority of the population is made up of young women has made an appeal for single men but only those willing to live by female rules. Over 600 women make up the population of Noiva do Cordeiro, southeast Brazil, most aged between 20 and 35. Some are married with families but their husbands are made to work away from home, only being allowed to return at weekends and if they have sons they are sent away when they reach 18.

The settlement dates back to the 1890s, when a young woman and her family were excommunicated from the Catholic church after she was accused of adultery. Slowly more single women and mother-only families joined the community, and over the decades several attempts by men to intervere in their way of life made them adopt a strictly 'no male' policy.

Today, girl power rules in the rural town, with women in charge of every aspect of life - from farming to town planning and even religion.
But while none of the residents of Noiva do Cordeiro would have it any other way, it has left them with just one problem.
One of the women, Nelma Fernandes, 23, admits it's impossible for the girls - renowned in the region as strikingly beautiful - to find a would-be spouse. She said: "Here, the only men we single girls meet are either married or related to us, everyone is a cousin. I haven't kissed a man for a long time. "We all dream of falling in love and getting married. But we like living here and don't want to have to leave the town to find a husband.

ladies from the town have now made an appeal for interested men to come to them but only those willing to adapt to living in a women's world. Ms Fernandes said: "We'd like to get to know men who would leave their own lives and come to be a part of ours. "But first they need to agree to do what we say and live according to our rules."

In the 1940s, an evangelical pastor, Anisio Pereira, took one of the town's 16-year-old girls as his wife and founded a church there, imposing strict puritanical rules. When he died in 1995, the town's women determined that they would never again be subject to male domination, and they dismantled Pereira's church.

I didn't know a place like this existed! I have some admiration for these women, fair play to them!

Link

couldn't help but be reminded a little of this
-

been done before.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 05:10 AM
link   
a reply to: RodNasty

No, I understand that if you go there to render your service, you work there during the week but leave on weekends when the husbands return

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Willing to adapt to their rules huh...I don't need to travel to some distant place for that, I already live that life at home.lol. Interesting story though.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 05:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

There really is no difference between the genders is there? Its either one or the other who has to be dominant.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 05:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Firefly_
a reply to: Nyiah

There really is no difference between the genders is there? Its either one or the other who has to be dominant.

Yeah, I get the feeling they kind of missed the point of being equal. Ok, it's a pretty clear miss. IMO, all they did was trade roles from women being subservient to the men being subservient. No meaningful improvement to be found from my POV.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join