It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uru: A Game You Can Buy, or Play For FREE

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Uru: The Complete Chronicles is a stand alone version of the game Uru: Ages Beyond Myst that you can buy from Steam.

However, if you do not want to buy the game, or do not have a Steam account, you can play the game, completely FREE if you go to Myst Online and register.

The game that you play for free is actually called: Myst Online, Uru LIve: Again, it includes the game content from the stand alone version, PLUS new places to visit that are not available in the offline stand alone version. Registration is free, download (it's quite large) is free, and logging on to play, either by yourself, or with others online is again, completely FREE.

The game itself, MOUL is also now open source, with a people that are in the modding community for it. I've actually spoken to Rand Miller (CEO Cyan Worlds) on the phone during another project that involved the use of their game engine (known as Plasma). He's a nice guy. Also Mark DeForest, who has been Cyan Worlds CTO for several of their Myst games, and worked with him on a couple of projects. He's also a very nice guy, and we still keep in touch.

The following is a couple of videos, the first one is a short music video I did for MOUL itself, and will show you all sorts of scenes from Myst Online: Uru Live, that I made a few years ago (back in 2007)
The 2nd video is a Let's Play that I'm making for the stand alone version.

I would think that everyone would be familiar with the Myst series, but then again, you never know, and if you're looking for something that is free, with hours of puzzle solving, and wanting to play something other than FPS or Horror, this might be the game for you.

Did I mention you can play this for FREE?

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I loved those Myst and Riven games way back, are they still made under Cyan? I thought those games were absolutley fantastic adventure/ puzzle games that allowed the player and people observing a serene and exciting atmosphere. Truly masterpieces in modern culture/ art. I would recommend anything Myst to any players of any skill and experience!

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Oh I LOVE the Myst franchise! I don't play MOUL as often as I should any more, I think I burned myself out on too much awesome (if that's even possible) I'm not even sure which MOUL age is my favorite, they're all cut from the same suck-you-in-cloth. Off the top of my head, and I could change my mind here, I'd say I consider Gahreesen & the night instance of Minkata to have awesome atmospheres all around.

I've been following the progress on the fan-built Sevkor nexus for the entire 2 years it's been in development. I'm hoping it can been completed soon enough & people can see some of the spectacular fan ages without having to try to figure out how to run something like Deep Island to do so. I do have to say that even though it's not brimming with fan ages like DI, I prefer The Open Cave's shard due to the ability to climb around Ae'gura & get out to the Arch. Love, love, love exploring around in there.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

You can still buy the games from Steam, they have:

Myst: Masterpiece Edition

realMyst (which you can move around freely like in Uru)

Riven

Myst IV

Myst V

Uru: Complete Chronicles

Unfortunately, they do not have Myst: Exile, the third in the Myst series. You can get it from like Amazon still however.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I think it's been a year since the last time I was in the cavern myself.

I REALLY enjoyed my time on MOUL, both when it was first up on the now defuct GameTap, and then later when Cyan got their rights back, and made it free to play as it is now.

I really enjoyed when they would release something new (like they did with the calendar sparklies!), Each Pod Age, it was very interesting.

I was also there when they released Kirel as a Guild Hood, and I helped start up the Maintainers Guild (though I was actually busy learning how to make Ages myself, hehehehe).

What I don't miss is the politics and drama.....sigh.....guess that's always there on the internet.

Let's see, my favorite Age.....hrrrmmmmmmmmmm.............

I'd have to say E'rcana. Just so much to do, and the music that went with it.

Hey! Remember dropping pellets to try and get the lake to light back up? Hahahaha. That was so much fun trying to find the right formula for the pellets! A bit frustrating having to wait so long though for them to bake.

Here's a video I did back then (2007) trying to encourage other players to work on their pellets:

edit on 22-8-2014 by eriktheawful because: Because Knew and New are not the same!

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

=D I have alot of the games in multiples on cd and an old windows 98 computer along with some of my other favorites including sierras swat series, all the thief games, doom 1 2 and 3, wolfenstien, microsoft flight sims, theme park, duke nukem plutonium pack, carmeggedon us and euro, xmen children of the atom and the list goes on and on. The thing that turned me away from pc gaming was its lack of vertical and horizontal shooters, I was happier with sega and nintendo. Lately I have been toying with the idea of acquiring an FM Town Marty system and OHHHHHHH if you don't know about this you sir are going to fall in love like meeting your wife all over again, have you ever heard of the sharp x68000? this is a pc built for gamers back in the 80s and 90s that was never released in America at all that hosts near perfect arcade ports tons of exclusive titles and thousands of ways to customize performance and other things if you had one Id pay you to come over and play it lol they still go for more then modern new gen consoles at the time when they were new went for over $3000

here bro check it out
edit on 22-8-2014 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

Some how, I do not think my wife is going to let me spend $3,000 dollars to play games, hehehehehehe.

I think my favorite PC shooter had to of been Call Of Duty 2. And the reason for it being my favorite, is that me, my wife and my oldest son would network our computers up and play Tag with that game. We'd spend hours hunting each other down, laugh, and hollaring at each other on the weekends. It was a lot of fun. Especially when we'd download and play custom made fan maps.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

I really enjoyed when they would release something knew (like they did with the calendar sparklies!), Each Pod Age, it was very interesting.

I love that on TOC, you can get out of the pods with an axis hack they allow. You can't move freely, but you can get up close & personal with the critters. I loved chasing down the little primates in the trees. The pod parties for doing just that are always fun, too

Let's see, my favorite Age.....hrrrmmmmmmmmmm.............

I'd have to say E'rcana. Just so much to do, and the music that went with it.

Hey! Remember dropping pellets to try and get the lake to light back up? Hahahaha. That was so much fun trying to find the right formula for the pellets! A bit frustrating having to wait so long though for them to bake.

Oh indeed, my least favorite puzzle to solve, such a long wait for impatient people XD I liked cracking the Kadish Tolesa puzzle more, lol

Ercana did floor me, getting to the top to go down the hatch. I doubt anyone expects to see that stunning mountain lake vista up there. Simply breath-taking.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

I remember that game I don't have any old COD games anymore though =( and the x68000 is considerably cheaper these days you can find them (sometimes very rare) for about $600. I have so many fond memories of playing games with my brother and my friends it even inspired me to dig into being an artist because I was always impressed with the art, games became a part of me.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
I loved those Myst and Riven games way back, are they still made under Cyan? I thought those games were absolutley fantastic adventure/ puzzle games that allowed the player and people observing a serene and exciting atmosphere. Truly masterpieces in modern culture/ art. I would recommend anything Myst to any players of any skill and experience!

Yep me too. Loved them all. Beautiful worlds and magic linking books.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Another episode of Uru: The Complete Chronicals

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Here is part 3 of my Uru: The Complete Chronicles Let's Play. You'll get to see more:

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Here is Part 4 of Uru: The Complete Chronicles

new topics

top topics

join