It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global forced displacement tops 50 million for first time in post-World War II era

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
That's a lot of people. Afghanistan and the Syrian war have been the leading cause of internal displacement, creating a ripple effect seen throughout much of the M.E.. With Iraq being recently declared a level 3 emergency by the U.N., which now brings the total of nations in emergency crises to four, it appears as if this number will increase before it decreases.

Source/Alternative source

"I haven't seen anything of this scale before," said Noah Gottschalk, senior policy advisor for humanitarian response at Oxfam America. "Across the board, the humanitarian community sees this as one of the worst moments we've ever had to confront in terms of simultaneous, mostly man-made crises."

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Daedal

By the path we are heading down it's only going to get worse.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: DarknStormy

This is not only scary, but very sad. I can't believe we are heading down this path again. We had such an opportunity during the 90's, but I fear there is no way back from all out war now. Shame

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Very concerning. That doesn't count Ukrainians being displaced, which is also growing in number. Here's one source.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

This is not only scary, but very sad. I can't believe we are heading down this path again. We had such an opportunity during the 90's, but I fear there is no way back from all out war now. Shame

We had an opportunity after WW1 and WW2 also lol.. That worked out well. What was WW1? The war to end all wars or something? The world has been in war ever since, who ever coined that quoted was a f**king idiot.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   

In retrospect it does appear as if some comic came up with that quote.

But the loss of life was incomprehensible and affected nearly every street in the U.K as no doubt it did in the countries of the Empire. Just as many Germans died and French, Belgians, Austrians, ANZACS, Canadians, Turks and Russians.

Of course, WWII put it in the shade, along with the culmination of every act of war since WWII.

The 90's along with the end of the Cold War, should have been a new age, but it all kicked off in the Middle East, followed by the Balkan Wars, then 9/11 and the Middle East again.

We should be able to learn from all of this, but it appears that when one boogeyman man disappears, another shows up.

top topics

join