It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unbelievable Leaf Carvings

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Most of you know by now that I like to share interesting websites and the beautiful artwork to be found on them whenever I stumble across one that screams to be shared. Given that.... I give you this eye candy today and hope that you enjoy it.

Meet the Artist - Omid Asadi

I'll start with my favorite leaf in this collection...

I am amazed at the detail that can be found in these leaves. It looks like you could touch one fairly gently and still have it disintegrate in your hand.

How does he do it?? Why does he do it??

With just a craft knife and a needle, talented Iranian artist Omid Asadi can breathe life into dry, fallen leaves. The 35-year-old, now based in the UK, carves breathtaking silhouettes into fragile brown leaves, creating exquisite pieces of art. Right from celebrity portraits to wild animals, or even random patterns – Omid is an expert at using the natural shape of a leaf to transform it into a wide range of subjects.

“Art for me is the way of looking differently to this world and around myself,” Omid said. “I started to think why nobody paid attention to these beautiful leaves and trod on them, because of their name – if they were called flowers we wouldn’t tread on them at all! I wanted to give the leaves another life and make art from them.”

I really like the fact that he takes something that is considered a nuisance for many and goes largely unnoticed by many more and makes something breathtaking out of it.

"When we enjoy the fabric and resources that we have in life, we forget to stop and think where it all came from. Every crease on that hand represents a hardship and destitution someone exchanged for others’ satisfaction.”

I couldn't agree more. He raises money for charities with his artwork so it appears he walks the walk he talks. That just makes me enjoy his work even more.

He is some more of his work for those who are interested....

I hope that some of you enjoyed it as much as I did. Sometimes we need a little beauty to corral the ugliness that seems to be ever encroaching all around us.

You can also read more here:
www.odditycentral.com...

You can also see a few more leaf carvings on his website here:
omidasadi.artweb.com...

edit on 8/19/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Ill have to give that a try sometime, his work is amazing and his medium is interesting and he is masterful at it. I wonder how he selects his leaf before he gives them a make over there has to be criteria

and Kangaroo =D i just posted a new art thread yesterday as well.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Why does he do it??

he's seen a lot of bad stuff in his life
and this is his little zen thing

this is how he heals his own soul now
and how he tries to heal others

..thanks for posting this
it meant a lot to me

Omid said. “I started to think why nobody paid attention to these beautiful leaves and trod on them, because of their name
– if they were called flowers we wouldn’t tread on them at all! I wanted to give the leaves another life and make art from them.”

“I started to think why nobody paid attention to these beautiful lives and trod on them, because of their name (muslims)
– if they were called flowers (something beautiful instead) we wouldn’t tread on them at all!
I wanted to give the lives another life and make art from them.”
edit on 19-8-2014 by UNIT76 because: heavyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
These are awe inspiring. My favorites are the dandilion and the dragon.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Truly amazing. I wonder if he treats the leaf to reduce its fragility in any way before carving, such as giving it a wax bath?

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Wow those are really pretty. Quite an amazing form of art.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Thank you for sharing this! It's a nice reminder that I primarily enjoy coming for the gems that can be noticed and/or extracted that have been mixed in with all the muck.

/salute!
edit on 19-8-2014 by GetOutOfMyLight because: Diggin'...

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   
While visiting his gallery... "Hey, is that Jesus?! Wait... nope! that's Jim Morrison from The Doors!" XD

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Amazing detail, especially in the first and the dragon one. I'd love to try something similar as I like working with smaller compositions, but wow, gotta be very careful.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
Ill have to give that a try sometime, his work is amazing and his medium is interesting and he is masterful at it. I wonder how he selects his leaf before he gives them a make over there has to be criteria

I'm glad you enjoyed it Brotherman and I am always happy to see your art work. Everything I have seen from you is amazing in it's own right. Seriously. I haven't drawn in so long, I wonder if I forgot how lol. I'll have to head over to your thread when I'm done here. Cheer you on and such.

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
These are awe inspiring. My favorites are the dandilion and the dragon.

Those were mine as well. Excellent taste!

originally posted by: aboutface
Truly amazing. I wonder if he treats the leaf to reduce its fragility in any way before carving, such as giving it a wax bath?

That's a good question AF. It looks like you would about have to have something to help strengthen it... but I don't know. If not, I can only imagine how long he holds his breath every time he bends over to work.

originally posted by: 3n19m470
While visiting his gallery... "Hey, is that Jesus?! Wait... nope! that's Jim Morrison from The Doors!" XD

Literally lol... I made the same mistake!!

originally posted by: dreamingawake
Amazing detail, especially in the first and the dragon one. I'd love to try something similar as I like working with smaller compositions, but wow, gotta be very careful.

Imagine working on one like the dandelion one for days only to pick it up and have it disintegrate right in your hand!! I bet it's happened more than once for this guy. That would suck really bad.

If you get around to trying it, share it with us! Talent like that needs to be shared!

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   

most cheerleaders are sexy hehehehe

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I gotta admit those are very nice. That takes some real skill there and I'd bet he had as many disintegrate as he did manage to finish. Painstaking work no doubt.

My art teacher has spent the last 40 years doing drawings of leaves. I'd love to post some pics of them but not sure he would ever give me permission. Incredibly detailed and realistic work if you get to see it.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman

Sycamore and Plane tree leaves are among the thickest you can find. I don't think you'll find him carving any beech leaves up!

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
I gotta admit those are very nice. That takes some real skill there and I'd bet he had as many disintegrate as he did manage to finish. Painstaking work no doubt.

My art teacher has spent the last 40 years doing drawings of leaves. I'd love to post some pics of them but not sure he would ever give me permission. Incredibly detailed and realistic work if you get to see it.

Yeah... I can just imagine him going slightly insane when he destroys the piece for the third times just as he was about to finish it. I picture him going around flipping over work tables like chessboards lol. You would have to have the patience of a saint I think!

I would love to see some of your art teacher's work if you do get to post it.
40 years is a long time and I imagine that shows quite well in his work.
edit on 8/20/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

=D after my leg heals Ill have to look around I want to give that a try cause its so neat! Thanks for the tip ATA

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   

this is how he heals his own soul now
and how he tries to heal others

You would have to have the patience if (of) a saint I think!

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   
love it

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I'm glad you liked it!

Who I find stuff like this it's like Christmas time for me.

I know a lot of people don't like to see a lot of my threads here because they aren't all conspiracy related, but I think everybody can take a breather and take in the beauty around them while they're at it.

new topics

top topics

join