It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's happening to the water?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Okay so I'm just at work and we were discussing the Hoover Dam and other water problems. So I'm going to throw some at y'all and just let me know what you think.

So Lake Mead is dropping in water level from the record breaking drought in that area. Once the water level drops to a 1,000 feet or below we lose the ability to pump water which means a very large supplier of power for the Southwest will be lost.
www.nytimes.com...

This will give you a very good perspective on just how much the Colorado River has shrunk. It's insane!
news.nationalgeographic.com...

According to this source the lake dropped to 1,080 feet in July. If the source is correct then that is dangerously low.
www.dailymail.co.uk...

These are all locations that depend on the Hoover Dam for power.
Arizona - 18.9527 percent
Nevada - 23.3706 percent
Metropolitan Water District of Southern California - 28.5393 percent
Burbank, CA - 0.5876 percent
Glendale, CA - 1.5874 percent
Pasadena, CA - 1.3629 percent
Los Angeles, CA - 15.4229 percent
Southern California Edison Co. - 5.5377 percent
Azusa, CA - 0.1104 percent
Anaheim, CA - 1.1487 percent
Banning, CA - 0.0442 percent
Colton, CA - 0.0884 percent
Riverside, CA - 0.8615 percent
Vernon, CA - 0.6185 percent
Boulder City, NV - 1.7672 percent
www.usbr.gov...

Okay now with blue-green algae. That is in multiple countries all throughout the world, and is very toxic. I've seen it a couple times in Humboldt Bay, California and Milford Lake, Kansas. The blue-green algae is pretty scary because it could happen nearly everywhere. I won't let my daughter swim in Milford Lake anymore, which is a bummer because we live right on the lake.

Cyanobacteria (blue-green algae)

Cyanobacteria, also known as blue-green algae, grow in any type of water and are photosynthetic (use sunlight to create food and support life). Cyanobacteria live in terrestrial, fresh, brackish, or marine water. They usually are too small to be seen, but sometimes can form visible colonies, called an algal bloom. Cyanobacteria have been found among the oldest fossils on earth and are one of the largest groups of bacteria. Cyanobacteria have been linked to human and animal illnesses around the world, including North and South America, Africa, Australia, Europe, Scandinavia, and China.

Cyanobacterial blooms and how they form

Cyanobacterial blooms (a kind of algal bloom) occur when organisms that are normally present grow exuberantly. Within a few days, an bloom of cyanobacteria can cause clear water to become cloudy. The blooms usually float to the surface and can be many inches thick, especially near the shoreline. Cyanobacterial blooms can form in warm, slow-moving waters that are rich in nutrients such as fertilizer runoff or septic tank overflows. Blooms can occur at any time, but most often occur in late summer or early fall.

They can occur in marine, estuarine, and fresh waters, but the blooms of greatest concern are the ones that occur in fresh water, such as drinking water reservoirs or recreational waters.

www.cdc.gov...

The great lakes water levels are receding as well. There's a few reason as to why they are but know one knows for sure.
research.noaa.gov... x

There's a lot of other things going on with the water all over the world. These are just a few examples. Now I'd share my opinion, but other than just saying "this is bad" I don't really have one. I don't know what it could be or why. There's so many possibilities that it could be. Anything from global warming to the gov't stockpiling all of the water for some unknown reason. Nearly anything is possible.

Now I know I just threw a lot of links at you and essentially said "READ THEM" but reason I did that is because I am not an expert. Also when you quote a certain part of an article it can be taken way out of context. So check the articles out and tell me what y'all think.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Wanderer777

golf courses in the desert is what happened [ amongst other things ] - but golf courses are the silliest

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:15 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Haha yes that is it! it is the golf courses, but in seriousness we don't know so it could be part of the problem. Thanks for the laugh!

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I read the other day they were expecting El Nino later this year, early next year.

This could cause an increase in rainfall in Southern California...

Effects of El Nino

But now it seems, the chances have just dropped to about 65%, not a good sign for Southern California......

Climate Prediction Center

I didn't realise the extent of the situation there until just a couple of days ago. Scary stuff.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Daavid
Yeah you don't hear much about it in the MSM. It needs to have a solution. El Niño would save Southern California. I hope it comes so it'll help us breath a little easier for a short time.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I've wondered why we don't hear more about it in MSM. I've read we put too much agriculture in an area that just happened to go through a wet cycle.

That means our food is going to get terribly expensive. People are already struggling. I saw the Hoover damn as a child, the current levels are horrific in comparison.

I'm hoping for rain. My other concern is the number of people that live in a dessert and act like they live in Niagara falls. We need to learn quick.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:43 AM
link   

You'd think with a WEATHER MACHINE water shouldn't be a problem?

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

Yeah right now I'm in Djibouti and we're supposed to conserve water, but that does NOT happen. It's a seriously bad desert. They plant trees here and water them every day to make it seem better, but it's just a waste. We're trying to change the environment to suit our needs. Granted it does suck here and I miss trees, but you can't change the nature. That could be a part as to why where we are now.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:46 AM
link   

What is frightening to me, is how no one is talking about it. We all know the truth of why, no one wants to admit it because then the finger pointing will begin.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 04:02 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3
Oh snap! What do you think is the cause and who will have fingers pointed at them?

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:15 AM
link   

We know it is disappearing. Some from evaporation in drought areas, some from fracking and putting it in the ground, and IMO, it is going underground in some places. If big holes can appear in Siberia above ground, why not below ground.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

That makes a lot of sense. If it's underground that's practically disappearing. Damn near for good. The holes in Siberia are just a few too. There's several all over the world in the past few years. Thanks!

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:27 AM
link   
What I want to know is where all the water has gone. It has not gone into the sea otherwise sea levels would have risen slightly.....It seems water is disappearing from the planet. That is a real cause of concern. Where I am here it has never been this dry in recorded history, even though we have just had a bit of rain. The rainfall here has become a joke. In the space of a couple of years in has suddenly dropped from 40" per year to less than half that and dropping. But nobody seems to care or try to work out what is going on. Strange and scary.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:33 AM
link   
a reply to: grumpy64

I think people aren't worrying because it is so gradual and it's not on the news or mentioned in many places. My personal opinion is that water is being hoarded. That would stop the water cycle for sure. People jacking water and hoarding for God knows what and then the water levels drop and then more water gets evaporated and not all of it comes back down in that same location.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I hadn't thought of that. Maybe it is seeping underground or disappearing into space like water did on Mars millions of years ago. If it is we will be finished.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:38 AM
link   
These articles say that Obama is selling the water from the Great Lakes to China. So that could be it.

endoftheamericandream.com...

www.infowars.com...

But China and most of Asia are feeling the water pinch as well.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Here's a list of Nestle water brands

Water[edit]

Aberfoyle
Alaçam (Turkey)
Al Manhal (Middle East)
Aqua D'Or
Aqua Mineral (Poland)
Aqua Pod
Aquarel (water)(Spain)
Acqua Panna
Aquapod
Aqua Spring (Greece)
Arctic (Poland)
Arrowhead (USA)
Baraka (Egypt)
Buxton (UK)
Cachantun (Chile)
Calistoga (USA)
Carola (France)
Ciego Montero (Cuba)
Charmoise (Belgium)
Contrex (France)
Cristalp (Switzerland)
Da Shan YunNan Spring (China)
Dar Natury (Poland)
Deep Spring (China)
Deer Park (USA)
Eco de los Andes (Argentine)
Erikli (Turkey)
Frische Brise (Germany)
Fürst Bismarck (Germany)
Gerber (Mexico)
Ghadeer (Jordan)
Glaciar (Argentina)
Hépar (France)
Hidden Spring (Philippines)
Henniez (Switzerland)
Ice Mountain (USA)
Κorpi (Greece)
La Vie (Vietnam)
Levissima (Italy)
Los Portales (Cuba)
Minéré (Thailand)
Montclair (Canada)
Nałęczowianka (Poland)
Nestlé Aquarel
Pure Life/Pureza Vital/Vie Pure
Nestlé Selda (Portugal)
Nestlé Vera (Italy)
Neuselters (Germany)
Ozarka (USA)
Pejo (Italy)
Perrier (France)
Petrópolis (Brazil)
Plancoët (France)
Poland Spring (USA)
Porvenir (Chile)
Powwow
Quézac (France)
Recoaro (Italy)
Saint-Lambert (France)
Sainte-Alix (France)
San Bernardo (Italy)
San Pellegrino (Italy)
Santa Bárbara (Brazil)
Santa Maria (Mexico)
São Lourenço (Brazil)
Sohat (Lebanon)
Springs (Saudi Arabia)
Theodora (Hungary)
Valvert (Belgium)
Viladrau (Spain)
Vittel (France)
Water Line (South Korea)
Waterman (China)
Zephyrhills (USA)

And here some of the places they get their bottled water.

The Nestlé company, which bottles water under several well-known labels, fought ferociously in court to retain its rights to appropriate water from the Great Lakes – to put in bottles – to sell to you and me. When Michigan’s government instituted a new law that allows Nestlé Corporation to continue taking up to 250,000 gallons per day, and sell them at a markup well over 240 times its production cost, Nestlé dropped the court battle.

* In Vermont, "Poland Spring" (also a Nestlé product) was brought to court with a complaint that the bottled water in "Poland Spring" came not from "some of the most pristine and protected sources deep in the woods of Maine," as advertised, but from other sources. In fact, on occasion, the water was trucked in from an unknown source out of state! But the court reasoned that Congress and the FDA made a conscious choice to allow states to regulate bottled water as long as their standards matched FDA standards. The bottled water met both standards, even though the source and advertised source were not the same.

Sources:
en.wikipedia.org...

www.streetdirectory.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Do some research on how much water coal fired power stations use.

13 to 17 GL/year

1 gigalitre =
1 000 000 000 litres

As of 2011, the Energy Information Administration listed 589 coal-fired power plants in the U.S]

Add this and bottled water and you have a lot of water usage.
edit on th1408366228576CDT-0500-05:001AM by subtopia because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Good question. The water cycle is supposed to be "stable" - and the amount of water circulating is not supposed to diminish. ...So where's it going?

F&S&

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Fukushima is to blame for this sudden water level fall. Mark my words.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join