It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ka-58 Stealth helicopter.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2003 @ 04:08 AM
link   
i have found some concept art and a toy of the ka-58, i also heard that there is indeed such a project as the ka-58 on the helis.com forum, anyone got some more info about this stealth helicopter?

posted on May, 29 2003 @ 12:56 PM
link   
its just a concept the closest kamov has come to making a stealth helo is this
Kamov Stealth Helo
but its been droped in favor of equiping KA-52's with plasma stealth generators

[Edited on 29-5-2003 by Pearly]

posted on May, 29 2003 @ 12:58 PM
link   
On helicopters, the main rotor blades are the biggest problem when it comes to reflecting radar energy back to the transmitter.

I cannot possibly envision any helicopter with Kamov-style contra-rotating blades as anything except UN-stealthy.

posted on May, 29 2003 @ 01:00 PM
link   

posted on May, 29 2003 @ 07:22 PM
link   
As lurker pointed out, it looks like a copy of the Boeing/Sikorsky RAH-66 Comanche. Likely its stealth performance will be inferior to the Comanche due to its contrarotating rotors, which are in fact the hardest thing to hide on radar.

The one advantage the Russian bird would have would be the elimination of the tail rotor, which is the one target on a helicopter that is sure to take it out of the sky.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 05:45 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 06:14 AM
link   

There is a big trouble with you heli :
Miss a tail rotor.

It seem to be a hoax, like the MIG-29 "ferret" or a abandonned project maybe, but it looks a little like the Ka-52 :

Ka-50 "Black Shark" is a single-seat attack helicopter for destroying armored vehicles, slow-speed air targets and manpower on the battlefield.

[Edited on 1-6-2003 by Nans DESMICHELS]

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 12:52 PM
link   
The Russians have approached stealth technology in a different way. This article on Zion Mainframe's site gives a concise description of their principles.

www.air-attack.com...

If they incorporated this into their helicopters then there wouldn't be any need for carefully cotoured surfaces. The Russian choppers could be as ugly as always and still be stealthy.
If of course this isn;t just another inflated Russian claim.

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nans DESMICHELS

the tiger looks like a copy of the mi-28, and i dont see any resembelence between the ka-52 and the tiger

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 11:04 PM
link   

There is a big trouble with you heli :
Miss a tail rotor.

[Edited on 1-6-2003 by Nans DESMICHELS]

ROFLMAO! ..

anyways russian helicopters own all the us on another 20 years or so

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 11:13 PM
link   
anyways russian helicopters own all the us on another 20 years or so Posted by $tranger

Maybe so, but the Mujahedeen didnt have much trouble taking the Hind down with nothing more complicated than a KAR 98 8mm mauser with soft lead bullets (splattering across the tail rotor, destabilizing them, causing it to crash)

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonrider
anyways russian helicopters own all the us on another 20 years or so Posted by $tranger

Maybe so, but the Mujahedeen didnt have much trouble taking the Hind down with nothing more complicated than a KAR 98 8mm mauser with soft lead bullets (splattering across the tail rotor, destabilizing them, causing it to crash)

I thought it was the stinger missile which made the Hind vulnerable. Before it's introduction the dushman were getting massacred. However things changed overnight with the arrival of the first Stinger team.

Surely a mauser especially with a soft led slug wouldn't ecen dint a tail rotor. After all they are armoured to withstand .50.

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Although the Stinger did turn the tables in a big way, the Mujahedeen did bring down Hinds before that...

From an article I read in MilTech magazine a couple of years ago, they documented a couple of cases where the Mujahedeen used old WWII vintage KAR 98 8mm Mauser bolt action rifles with very heavy low velocity soft lead bullets.

On impact with the tail rotor, it was not supposed to penetrate at all, but rather splatter across one of the blades of the tail rotor. When this happened, it unbalanced the tail rotor, setting up a violent vibration, and the the tail rotor would actually yaw on the axle, striking the tail boom, breaking off one of two blades.

Without a tailrotor, the pilots only choice is to cut the engines and immediately autorotate to an emergency landing... at which point they were face to face with the Mujahedeen.

Also of note, prior to the use of the Stinger, Iver Johnson rechambered a number of its AMAC rifles (originally in .50 BMG) to the Soviet 14.5mm machine gun round, and several of these, via the CIA, were brought to the Mujahedeen, where they performed well at taking the Hind out of the sky as well.

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Hey Dragon, do you know of any Russian 14.5 sniper rifles like the .50BMG ones. I haven't seen any, but I would have thought the 14.5mm cartridge would be great for a sniper weapon.
Maybe it's too hard to tame the fierce recoil of a cartrodge of its power.

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 01:12 AM
link   
The Iver Johnson AMAC conversion was the only 14.5mm rifle I had heard of, although there may well be some Russian experimentals running around that we dont know of. As I understand, the AMAC conversions were not large in number (only about 100 or so).

As far as recoil, well, I wouldnt want to shoot one... I have seen an AMAC in person, and in .50 chambering it weighs almost 40 pounds, and being shot from a bipod and a multiport recoil compensator (claiming 60% reduction in recoil) it supposedly makes shooting almost comfortable (in .50 BMG). Considering that the 14.5mm unleashes almost 2.5 times the energy of the .50 BMG, well.... Like I said, I wouldnt want to shoot one.

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by $tranger

the tiger looks like a copy of the mi-28, and i dont see any resembelence between the ka-52 and the tiger

What you have smoke ?!

The Mi-28N is based on the Mi-28A, a daylight helicopter first flown in December 1982 (Eurocopter is more modern than that).

In comparison with the AH-64D Longbow Apache, the 10,5-ton Mi-28N is some 2.5 tons heavier, partly due to its more powerful cannon. In general the two helicopters have similar flight performance. Two Klimov TV-3-117 engines of 2,200 hp each allow the Russian aircraft to show a maximum level speed of 300 km/h and maximum climb at sea-level of 13.6 meters per second.

The Eurocopter Tigre is the only helicopter worldwide able to do a 360� in flight...

[Edited on 2-6-2003 by Nans DESMICHELS]

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 03:09 AM
link   

The Eurocopter Tigre is the only helicopter worldwide able to do a 360� in flight...

It remains to be seen how this type of manouvre could be effective in combat. As for being the only helicopter in the world to be able to do this, I believe I saw an EH101 helicopter do a 360 at an airshow.

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist

It remains to be seen how this type of manouvre could be effective in combat. As for being the only helicopter in the world to be able to do this, I believe I saw an EH101 helicopter do a 360 at an airshow.

You dont remember ? Supercopter always made 360 to inverse situation in air fight vs airplane !
(Humm... It's true that Supercopter average speed was about 600 Km/h, EC Tiger only goes at a max speed of 280 Km/h...)

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 03:20 AM
link   
If you want to to strike your soldiers before they fight... No, it's not possible, it's a too heavy helicopter to do a 360. And his rotor is too short also.

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 03:31 AM
link   

If you want to to strike your soldiers before they fight... No, it's not possible, it's a too heavy helicopter to do a 360. And his rotor is too short also.

Yes it is a troop carrying helicopter. I saw it flying at an Australian airshow some months ago. I'm pretty sure it did a 360.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join