It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ghosts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   
i am presently working in a haunted house, i have not seen or heard anything as yet but i have smelled perfume and so did a colleague.
on thurdsday night two co-workers brought back an early 18th centuary piano which fitted into the room perfectly and looked the part there! the house is 400 years old .

any way the two guys who have worked there for 10 years or more and never witnessed any thing , were working on the piano all night until 4 am when they heard 2 women chatting and laughing!

they were both frightened and left as they heard these voices behind them, they were facing the window.
one of the guys said he cannot allow himself to believe in ghosts (he is a barrister?) and that it was women outside the window! the house is in a very dense wooded area with a mile drive up the wooded drive to the house. it is open to the public but the other guy swore the voices were in the room behind him!

now i am wondering is it a form of time travel that we sometimes get a window and step into for a few seconds/minutes?
maybe ghosts will become a thing of the past and they will be called the recording phenomenon.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Echos of the past...that's how I have come to interpret it. I have had many "ghostly" type experiences. They don't scare me.
I've never seen anything, but I have heard voices and other sounds for which there was no logical source.
I grew up in a house next to a large cemetery. My current residence used to be a plantation.
I think it may be related to magnetic fields of the earth making recordings, and then interacting with magnetic fields of the brain.
I could go on at length but I will refrain for the time being.
But, yeah, I have no doubt there is something to some accounts.
It may be nothing more creepy than a magnetic tape recording.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: meremortal

There are a few things it could be.

A psychic imprint is one of the most common types. That is where an emotional situation happened, either good or bad and it was such a blast of energy that it is imprinted within the surrounding environment. A 400 year old building would probably have several different types of imprints. Those seem to be ones where there is no response back when you encounter something, it is just "there" for a moment and gone, and repeats itself over time.

If it is an intelligent haunting, then things will be out of place, moved around, some sort of "I want you to know I am here" type experience. Ghost knocks are common this way.

There are lots of other possibilities, but those are two off the top of my head.
The easiest way to find out what could be going on is to look into the history of the house as thoroughly as one can and see if there is something strange there.

s&f

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
The two ladies must must have liked the addition of the piano (or the workmen's physique).

Giving it an 8 out of 10.

Old house.

Corroboration: Two workers heard the same thing.

Remote location precludes other sources of conversation.

Moving things around (changing the layout) is an oft reported trigger to an event.

It would be a ten of ten but I wasn't there.

Can't wait to hear what happens when someone plays it. Or it plays itself…

(insert Twilight Zone theme)

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
i must say i do walk around the house frightened i may see something but there has to be a logical explantion .

i am with your magnetic tape recording theory ! thank you a reply to: skunkape23

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

I've had a number of 'ghost' experiences over the years and just can't get my head around what the heck they represent. They make no sense. There's no logic to people loitering around in some afterlife and pissing people off with shenanigans.

It isn't like it's people all by themselves hearing and/or seeing strange stuff either - same places, similar accounts. Or it's several people hearing the same thing at the same time in the same place. Liminal is the word.

My brother used to work in a large department store way back. One morning before opening time, he heard a baby crying and had a look around to see where it was coming from...nothing there. So he mentioned it to other staff and was told that a few people had heard it before. Was it an auditory hallucination? Imagination? The wandering spirit of a dead baby? Who knows?

From personal experience and the stories told to me by people I trust, it's hard to rule out the existence of some high strangeness phenomenon or phenomena. Sure, there's no accepted way to measure these things or even clear terms to define what the heck it all is. The thing is, whatever is the stimulus behind the experience, it doesn't seem bothered by the absence of proof and carries on performing in people's lives throughout time and location.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

There's no logic to people loitering around in some afterlife and pissing people off with shenanigans.

If pranksters here, then pranksters there kind of thing?

Like when kids ring door bells and run…

its all in good fun.

Ghosts have one up on us… heres to jumping out and going "Boo".

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
yes there was alot of emmotions over the years wilh history as it happened not to mention the people who lived there over the centuries and their private lives, they may have been gentry but they didn't have it all easy.

and yes things are moved around and go missing all the time! but we just put it down to someone else moving stuff, to keep us sane i suppose! but there are certain staff (directors) who move furniture around alot, maybe that is creating an energy?

there are many ghost stories in this house, its just that these 2 guys never beleived it or witnessed any thing untill last week. most haunted requested to film there one night but they were refused by the board! madness i think as they need to generate money before the house falls into more disrepair!
thankyou all for your theories and thoughts

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr
Yes Intrprt the 2 ladies!

i said to the two lads "maybe the ladies came with the piano?" im sure wood can record stuff as well as walls?

well they were laughing so it can't be all bad! i did play it but alot of the keys don't work, they are going to get a piano tuner in soon.

and it it ever plays on its own, i need a new job!

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky
maybe its time travel?

but are we travelling or are they?

it probably is a recording in the magnetic field and the web that divides us sometimes opens for a few seconds.
yes many theories indeed and as they say " don't fear the dead! its the living you should fear!"

i did hear of a story where a couple were viewing a house, as they came down the stairs they saw a father , 3 young children and a dog playing in the hall way. as they got down the stairs they all disappeared. anyway they looked into the history of the house and found that the father and the dog were dead, but the kids were alive and adults!

don't know if its true but this story always sticks in my mind!

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Yeah, if either of us end up as noncorporeal ghosties, the jumping out at night might be the one and only highlight

A few years back, I got deep into the old literature about ghosts and posted Aparitions: Glimpses of Ghosts? It tanked.

edit on 11-8-2014 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Hi Meremortal:

Spirit has always come to me, not me to them...not sayin' it can't be the opposite, that is just my experience.

I think it must be easier for spirit to break through to our side.

The whole perfume thing is something I have been through. While closing my parents home after my Mother's passing, my sister and I had that happen. The house had had been vacant for about a month, and we had no idea that the air conditioner was out... in Dallas, TX in the summer (August) just yuk!

My parents were in the furniture and antiques business and they had many collections in their home, the home I grew up in. My sister and I went over to start packing things after my Mother's passing, and it was so hot we thought we would pass out. We hadn't been in the house since the funeral, and had no reason to since the alarm was on and just trying to get up to the task of dismantling my parents home.

My sister was pregnant at the time and I was living in Houston, so we had limited time to accomplish the packing of the items that we knew were the most valuable and loved objects of my Mother's collections.

We had the AC repair men coming, but it would be several hours.

I said to my Sister, "come on lets get out of here, this mold smell is terrible, and it is not good for you being pregnant." But then this giant whiff of my Mother's signature perfume, which was Shalimar, comes blowing across the entire dining room...we freaked.

Things happen that make no sense.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
Echos of the past...that's how I have come to interpret it. I have had many "ghostly" type experiences. They don't scare me.
I've never seen anything, but I have heard voices and other sounds for which there was no logical source.
I grew up in a house next to a large cemetery. My current residence used to be a plantation.
I think it may be related to magnetic fields of the earth making recordings, and then interacting with magnetic fields of the brain.
I could go on at length but I will refrain for the time being.
But, yeah, I have no doubt there is something to some accounts.
It may be nothing more creepy than a magnetic tape recording.

I would agree that many paranormal experiences are of this nature, but it seems that there are instances where "ghosts" interact with people in some fashion. I think the chances of these interactions occurring if all paranormal activity were some type of recording are slim. Even my personal experiences tell me that there is some type of interaction going on. I will never forget my experience of a ghost reacting to physical events and people that I experienced in a theater. I believe I've detailed this experience in another thread and so will not go into it here. If anyone is interested you can message me and I will tell you the story. It was not that eventful, rather mundane even, but I think it shows a ghost reacting to what people were doing.

Anyway, what investigators term "residual hauntings" do seem to exist. Voices like those described by the original poster could be either residual or intelligent, although residual does seem likely given that the place does not seem to be that active. Another thing to consider is when people are present at the location and when nobody is around. It really does seem that activity ramps up at night and especially the early morning hours. Why this would be the case I do not know, but perhaps it has something to do with the sun's energy or something. That doesn't make too much sense though, but since we know virtually nothing about paranormal entities it is hard to say. That they are some form of energy I do not question, but just what type of energy that is I cannot say.

It would have to be a type of energy that cause a physical form to manifest and then disappear, as well as allow for physical interaction with an object. Does anyone know what types of energy fit that bill? I am confident that the further we progress with science the closer we will be to understanding paranormal entities. Seeing as how they exist in our physical world, there must be a physical explanation. Even if it were somehow connected with an individual's mind, or whatever other strange explanation, there would still be a physical explanation in my opinion. I do not believe it is magic by any means. It seems that way because of our limited understanding. Humans mainly deal with what they can see. And when something cannot be seen it is dealt with using the scientific method and experimentation. Paranormal activity does not provide the opportunity for testing of this nature, and since we cannot see just what is going on except in brief, unpredictable instances, we are no closer to an explanation.

Just because a location is reputed to be haunted doesn't mean this is the case. Just from what was described in the opening post I would say there is a good chance the place could be haunted, but may not be that active. Most hauntings are rather mundane anyway. And some paranormal events likely go unnoticed by people anyway. Short of a ghost appearing in front of you, other things can be explained away. I would imagine that a person who does not believe in ghosts, yet who lives in a house with paranormal activity, would start questioning their sanity after a while. In their minds, because ghosts aren't real, there wouldn't be any other explanation after a series of events occurred that had no plausible explanation.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   
i have not been on ats in along time, i finished in Lissan House, Cookstown late september, 2015, we had a paranormal team out and they used the Ouija board, to cut a long story short the paranormal team were charlatans , we went from room to room and they pretended that some spirit followed them from place to place.

a 400 year old house and they had to bring one with them?

any way we went into one of the bedrooms and the charlatans were laughing as the glass they pushed moved violently around the card table. i was sitting on a small settee by a bed and felt someone sit beside me, a girl across the room started pointing and crying and saying, she is there she is sitting next to her, pointing to me,

i asked the girl who did she see, she said she looked plastic like a manequin. I felt someone sit beside me but when i turned around, i saw nothing, i found a pic of the wife of one of the men who lived there, Sir Robert Ponsonby Staples, his wife was Ada Stammers

here is the pic i hope!

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   

It sucks when you run into frauds/fakes like that.

Kind of ruins any experience you might of been able to have there.

Hope you get that picture figured out.

new topics

top topics

join