It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joan Rivers: Palestinian civilians 'deserve to be dead'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Speaking to a TMZ reporter outside of the LA International Airport, Joan Rivers had some really cold, callous things to say about the plight of Palestinian civilians who are being killed in Gaza.

NY Daily: Joan Rivers in hot water for saying Palestinian civilians 'deserve to be dead'

"You're dead, you deserve to be dead. You started it. You started it. Don't you dare make me feel sad about that," she said in a video recorded outside Los Angeles International Airport.

The TV personality lifted her hands to her cheeks in mock outrage when a TMZ reporter brought up that nearly 2,000 Palestinians have been killed since the Israel Defense Forces launched Operation Protective Edge a month ago.

"Oh my God! Tell that to the people in Hiroshima," she said. "When you declare war, you declare war. They started it. We now don't count who's dead."

"They were told to get out. They didn't get out. You don't get out, you are an idiot. At least the ones that were killed were the ones with very low IQs," she said.

Yikes. Now backing off her own statements, Joan Rivers is claiming that her comments were taken out of context. Out of context? I'm having a difficult time imaging a context where these could comments could have a significantly different meaning unless it starts with something like "an ahole might say.."

Here's her brief statement from her website:

An accurate clarification of my earlier comments:

“I am both saddened and disappointed that my statement about the tragedy of civilian casualties was totally taken out of context. What I said and stand behind is, war is hell and unfortunately civilians are victims of political conflicts. We, The United States, certainly know this as 69 years later we still feel the guilt of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The media, as usual, has decided to only quote the most out of context and inflammatory non sequitur rather than giving an accurate account of what my intentions were behind the statement. Along with every other sane person in this world, I am praying for peace. It is stupid and wrong and I am tired of bearing the brunt of attacks by people who want to sell newspapers or gain ratings by creating a scandal about me that is non-existent.”

Joan is a long time sufferer of foot-in-mouth disease and I think she realized after the fact, that her statements were indefensible and now she's playing the victim.

EDIT:

Link to video on TMZ
edit on 2014-8-9 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Does it really matter what Joan Rivers says? Is it really worth writing a thread about? Lots of people say lots of things. In the overall scheme of thing, does it really matter? Does it have any effect on the reality of the situation? No.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   
not out of context and I thought britian started it .. just saying

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Why was all that not on the video? is there one showing her saying all of that? What is shown is nothing like the statement.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: smithjustinb

Seriously, she must be mad because their garbs are outdated.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: smithjustinb
Does it really matter what Joan Rivers says? Is it really worth writing a thread about? Lots of people say lots of things. In the overall scheme of thing, does it really matter? Does it have any effect on the reality of the situation? No.

Obviously Joan Rivers is a comedian/host/actress and not a political figure so while her comments may be of little consequence in the grand scheme of things, there's no reason why people shouldn't read what she's said and decide whether or not they'd like to contribute to her commercial success.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee

Why was all that not on the video? is there one showing her saying all of that? What is shown is nothing like the statement.

The quoted statements are contained in the video. From the TMZ video:

"Good. Good. You can ask Colin Powell — when you declare war, you declare war. They started it. We now don't count who's dead. You're dead, you deserve to be dead. You started it. You started it. "

and at the very end:

"You don't start wars and then decide. I'm Sorry. Go speak to Colin Powell. You don't don't do it. They were told to get out. They didn't get out. You don't get out, you are an idiot. At least the ones that were killed were the ones with very low IQs."

edit on 2014-8-9 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   

If comedy and politics went together I'd stop watching Jon Stewart.

I do wonder why people continue to listen to Ann Coulter though..

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Joan has seemed disturbed about a number of things lately.

She has seemed just downright 'disturbed' herself, actually.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Obviously Joan Rivers is a comedian/host/actress and not a political figure so while her comments may be of little consequence in the grand scheme of things, there's no reason why people shouldn't read what she's said and decide whether or not they'd like to contribute to her commercial success.

So is this thread about politics or your dislike for Joan Rivers?

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: smithjustinb

The thread is clearly about statements made by Joan Rivers regarding the Palestinian civilian casualties. Troll much?

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I thought Joan was dead and kickin it with Keith Richards in a crypt.
Well, they both look dead.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   

When people look up to her as far as public opinion I think it matters. When a celebrity figure like her say's something, anything, the sheeple listen. That is what sways public opinion. Politicians have also used celebs to buy votes by swaying people.
Firepiston

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
There is stuff I wish I can take back, but I can't. Doesn't make us all bad people. The damage is done. Maybe she had a few too many. What she said doesn't make her a bad person. She may feel awful about it now and regets it, but she has also done good things in this world. You have to remember she is getting old. Alzheimers might be setting in, and people with Alzheimers tend to get violent.
edit on 9-8-2014 by Diabolical because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Joan is a long time sufferer of foot-in-mouth disease and I think she realized after the fact, that her statements were indefensible and now she's playing the victim.

How Zionistic of her!!!

Dried up old wench needs to be kept away from microphones and cameras...

Good Lord...
We complain about our politicians on a daily basis...
It's fair to say at least none of them are like this as a human SMH!!!

Peace Ante!!!
edit on 9-8-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: Auto-Correct!!!

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Nah dude. It's because she's Joan Rivers. At least Gene Simmons stance makes sense.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Diabolical

Alzheimers might be setting in, and people with Alzheimers tend to get violent.

Alzheimer's or could it be during her last face lift the surgeon pulled the skin too much and it's putting pressure on her brain.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Stupid celebrities say stupid things. It's her opinion and her right to voice it publicly.

She's not exactly known for her intellectual prowess.....or her prudent choices concerning plastic surgery.....

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I do not support what she said, but othet famous people probably think the same and rather be hypocritical than damage their image.

Now all those ones will criticize her.

And if you wonder, I think Palestinians and Israelis look stupid with that war.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Ya but if it was Eddie Vedder...oy vey

top topics

<<   2 >>

join