It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking in the mirror

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   
When i look in the mirror, I see I completely different person than what I perceive in my mind, or conscious?

When i look in the mirror and stare as deep as I can into my eyes, I see nothing, but wonder. (who in the hell is this looking at me in the mirror?)

I look at people in real life, and I assume what their life is like, yet who knows.

I recently used the restroom, and found myself gazing into the mirror for seconds and thought, who? what? why?

Just looking for some ATS input

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Thoughts? Quit playing Bloody Mary in the bathroom mirror. You're just lucky that you haven't seen that girl from The Ring crawling through it yet...

But seriously... I have had something similar but not quite. I caught my reflection in the rear view mirror of my car a few years back and for an instant it felt like my world had been rocked. Not really because I didn't know who I saw, but because I felt that I had gotten older suddenly. I couldn't believe that I had a teenager, and a husband that I had been married to for over 17 years. I feel like I can't clarify exactly what I felt in words. It was like all of the sudden years had passed in just a few minutes.

I recall looking and thinking that I sure didn't feel old enough to be a mother of a teenager and I didn't feel old enough to have been married for that long. But there I was. Obviously I was... I just didn't feel like it. It was like somebody removed a portion of the passing time all at once instead of it naturally passing.

Yeah... I know how fruitcakish that sounds.

That is probably not what you are asking about, but I felt it was similar enough to post. Maybe all of us have some sort of identity crisis like that. I look forward to the posts.

edit on 7/31/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Perhaps just your spiritual side looking at your physical side. You are far more than you know.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Ha, bloody mary. And # the Ring girl!!!!

No, not "fruitcakish" at all. I can sort of relate with having more than 3 'close' nieces/ nephews.

"for an instant it felt like my world had been rocked. Not really because I didn't know who I saw, but because I felt that I had gotten older suddenly."

I not only get that feeling, but when I see myself in the mirror, i just feel like a completely different person looking at my.... body.

edit on 31-7-2014 by thirdcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Ah Ruex, that aging thing surely sneaks up on us when we least expect it. LOL
The other day I was sitting in the yard with my niece her son Cody and two of his little friends. One asked me if I was Cody's Grandmother and I was like...
ME? I know I'm old enough to be his Grandmother but good Lord, I feel like a teenager or like I'm in my twenties or early thirties and sometimes like a kid. Hahahaha I never had kids of my own so that Grandmother thing came out of left field somewhere and I wasn't expecting it. LOL

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 02:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

hahahaha/ wow i can't even imagine what it would be like being called 'grandpa'....

THANK GLOB i don't have kids. Who would want to produce kids in this #ed up world?

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I cant even look at my reflection most days. I try to avoid it to forget what i look like hoping my minds perception of myself would eventually replace it.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 03:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

Ah Ruex, that aging thing surely sneaks up on us when we least expect it. LOL
The other day I was sitting in the yard with my niece her son Cody and two of his little friends. One asked me if I was Cody's Grandmother and I was like...
ME? I know I'm old enough to be his Grandmother but good Lord, I feel like a teenager or like I'm in my twenties or early thirties and sometimes like a kid. Hahahaha I never had kids of my own so that Grandmother thing came out of left field somewhere and I wasn't expecting it. LOL

First of all... Ouch! Kids have no problem making you feel as old as dust lol. My daughter still makes comments to the effect of - "Did they have McD's when you were little?" "Did they have prom when you went to school?" "What's a Walkman?"

Whew... At least now I know I am not the only one. I'm kind of like the Toys R Us commercials. I don't want to grow up. At 37 I do struggle with mundane things constantly. Shouldn't I stop wearing Tshirts and jeans and opt for a pant suit or something? Should I cut my hair into a more mature, shorter style like 98% of women do? Should I quit cranking the radio all the way up and screaming the lyrics of Comfortably Numb while going down the road?

I do still feel like a teen most days and I probably shouldn't keep investing in tshirts with sarcastic, witty sayings splashed across the back of them.... I just don't know how. lol I've never been one to give a rats arse about other people's opinions, but I do wonder what I'll look like dressed that way if I am blessed enough to make it to My 80th birthday.

Now I have gone way off topic with TMI!

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: thirdcoast

When I look in the mirror, I am duped into a false vision of myself. Let me explain:

Looking in the mirror always gave me the impression I was facing 'myself' just as I stand face-to-face with another person, no? But if I turned my reflection so that it stood side-by-side with me, 'its' hair would be parted on the wrong side. The right and left eye would be switched. I do not see myself as others see me because of this. I see a switched version of myself. They say no one's face is perfectly symmetrical. My entire life, I've come to know a completely opposite version of what others see when they look at me.

Let me put it this way... My hair is parted on the left. When I stand face to face with my sister, I see her hair as parted on the opposite side than mine (due to an image of myself burned into my memory from seeing myself in the mirror.) Facing her, I see her part to the right. Facing the mirror, I see my part to the left. If I stand side by side with her, our parts are on the same side - the left. If my reflection could rotate and stand beside me, its part would be on the right, which is false.

No wonder some cultures thought mirrors were crazy witchcraft!!!

*Edit*... Sorry this was sort of a detour from what your topic really is, but when I read your title, I just wanted to get this off my chest, lol.
edit on 7/31/2014 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
So you are aware that you are aware....

welcome, my sapient sapiens.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
One of my first threads was eerily similar to yours.

I'm not familiar with how to link to one of my own threads but, if you look at my profile you can find it.

I've felt the same way, long before I even started to physically age.

I just never really recognized the reflection I see in the mirror for as long as I can remember.

It's a strange feeling. I hate looking in the mirror, not because the reflection is unattractive but, it just feels strange.

I also despise having my picture taken!

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: new_here

When I look in the mirror, I am duped into a false vision of myself. Let me explain:

Looking in the mirror always gave me the impression I was facing 'myself' just as I stand face-to-face with another person, no? But if I turned my reflection so that it stood side-by-side with me, 'its' hair would be parted on the wrong side. The right and left eye would be switched. I do not see myself as others see me because of this. I see a switched version of myself. They say no one's face is perfectly symmetrical. My entire life, I've come to know a completely opposite version of what others see when they look at me.

Let me put it this way... My hair is parted on the left. When I stand face to face with my sister, I see her hair as parted on the opposite side than mine (due to an image of myself burned into my memory from seeing myself in the mirror.) Facing her, I see her part to the right. Facing the mirror, I see my part to the left. If I stand side by side with her, our parts are on the same side - the left. If my reflection could rotate and stand beside me, its part would be on the right, which is false.

No wonder some cultures thought mirrors were crazy witchcraft!!!

*Edit*... Sorry this was sort of a detour from what your topic really is, but when I read your title, I just wanted to get this off my chest, lol.

No. Thank you. I understand completely because I feel the same. Wish I could step into someone else's shoes and see what I really look like.

a reply to: MagesticEsoteric

Here's the link to your thread: What Do You See In The Mirror?

Nice thread, and that was eerily similar ha. I suppose we may be reincarnated. Who knows?
edit on 31-7-2014 by thirdcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   

How bizarre!

I didn't really think you would actually go back and find that thread.....it's been nearly 4 years ago that I made it.

We are certainly birds of a similar feather...are we not?

You brought me back to a time where I was in my deepest reflection. Thank you for reminding me of the importance.

Not of living in the past but, that of deep reflection of the life I have lived so far.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I love looking at myself in the mirror. I'm always impressed at how magnificent I always look.

top topics

join