It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Nation Canadians willing to lay down their lives to protect their land.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Monger
a reply to: ccseagull

It doesn't make a lick of sense to me. In fact, the very idea that what is essentially an accident of birth can make them 'more' entitled to live here than anybody else makes my blood boil a little bit. Maybe it's easier to have that sort of mentality when you come from a position of privilege yourself. I grew up well below the poverty line in Canada's poorest province. Not that I'm complaining, things worked out fairly well so far.

It's like me saying that I'm somehow more Irish than a the son of a Pakistani immigrant to Ireland because my ancestors lived there for thousands of years. It's not even remotely true, and it's borderline offensive.

Right, I get what you're saying. Like there aren't any other ghettos in the country...or world for that fact.

The native land issue isn't about denying other Canadians anything. Its about denying unbridled access to land that shouldn't be accessed. Especially if a people are trying to get back to their roots and live off that land and do better for themselves. And if there is to be access to the land and the resources it hold, pay Tue people who have been there long before a Canadian government.

I really don't see natives wanting to with hold from the rest of the country. I think they just want responsible resource management as well as recieveing the money which they are entitled too. Again, they aren't really trying to break new ground and solve the worlds problems here, just theirs. They are only trying to play the game everyone else is playing. While also having the deck stacked against them... Just as much if not more than everyone else.

But I do hear your point. And I don't think it will be addressed until people part with the psychology of ownership. Aka "this is my fence and everything in its boundary is mine, legally".

I think we, as in everyone, native or not, would be better off if we dropped the imaginary lines in the sand and just realized that we are all on this rock (with finite resources) together.

<< 1   >>

join