It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows 8.1 Is the Nail in the Coffin

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
After my computer annoyed the hell out of me to update to windows 8.1 I bit the bullet as I was very unhappy with windows 8.....since the update I no longer have sound. I have tried about 12 different things with no success. I looked online and saw there are many many people who are having the same problem...and there is no quick fix in sight. This is and will be the last Windows product I buy after using Windows for over 20 years. I am a bit of a tech guy and pride myself on never once having to ask for help outside the ability to google my answers but this one has stumped me. RIP Windows as you will never receive a penny of my money again and lord help the bastards who designed this as there will be a special place in hell for them..and I will find them there.

With that out of the way...any suggestions?

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

Linux Mint

Some peripherals may need work arounds, but for the most part, this edition of Linux is fairly foolproof...

I dual boot it and Win 7

Love the security.. and it is a strong forensics platform..

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Windows 8.1 probably overwrote your audio driver.

What type of audio device do you use? Have you tried to roll back the driver?

I can assure you this is a very solvable problem if you can give some more information.

I was hesitant to use Windows 8.x at all, but after becoming very familiar with it I can see that despite how clunky it seems, it has a lot of big advantages over previous iterations of Windows.
edit on 26-7-2014 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
One of the various distributions of Linux?

Buy mauaheugiah...
...buy a maaehhehehee...
...buy one one those expensive ones that runs OSX?

Or build a Hackintosh

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
You're a tech guy and left Windows 7?

Re-install 7 and all will be fine.

Microsoft only made two good operating systems, XP and 7. All the rest was crap or worse.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Do a system restore to Win 7 maybe? Talking out of me arse here, as I'm far from being a tech person, but can this not be done?

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: aboutface

Do a system restore to Win 7 maybe? Talking out of me arse here, as I'm far from being a tech person, but can this not be done?

No. You cannot do a "system restore" to a previous and completely different version of Windows.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
So.. Seriously if you can give us some more information, system (particularly audio device) specs, and what you have already tried we can fix this problem for you in about 5 minutes. =]

Also, for people who just HATE METRO (like me) you might enjoy this.

www.stardock.com...

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Yeah i'm really not a fan at all.
After mine updated to 8.1,i lost wireless capabilities and luckily for me the computer still had it's warranty so they actually swapped out the wireless card for another and then it worked.
I Googled it and found it was a common problem for my computer brand.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reinstall your audio drivers and you'll be fine.
Go to system, see what audio device you have and then google for the drivers

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: southbeach

Sounds like your computer was to blame - not the OS.

I use Windows 7 Ultimate, 8 and 8.1 Enterprise and Home, Ubuntu, RedHat, Windows Server 2008/12..Every. Single. Day.

The problems you guys are describing sound like user error, or poor understanding of home computing in general. I am happy to help you resolve your problem, OP, but cannot do so if you cannot provide information.

Is this thread meant to solve a problem or just to complain about Windows 8?

And I assure you - I hated Windows 8 until I learned how to use it.. So I'm not some Microsoft fanboy or anything. Just stating the reality of the situation.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: NightFlight
You're a tech guy and left Windows 7?

Re-install 7 and all will be fine.

Microsoft only made two good operating systems, XP and 7. All the rest was crap or worse.

I really wanted this razer tablet...basically the only tablet that can function as a full computer...it came with windows 8 on it..with no other choice...i figured id give it a shot. I dont think any other operating system would work on it and still allow for touch screen but I could be wrong...

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: TinkerHaus

I found a solution...under the sound icon in the bottom right I can right click..go to play back devices and then properties of the device im using the "disable all enhancements"...this brings my sound back but now sound in certain applications is quieter than it was before haha...so this is my new problem. I have used every os you have described as well...Windows 8 mostly just takes getting used to...now that I only stay in desktop mode its not that bad...but it pisses me off that these kinks that occur are that much more difficult to fix because im not familiar with 8.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Dr1Akula

I tried this first thing...and its saying it cant even recognize that I have anything there...like the file doesnt know where to latch on...i forget the error message. I'll try to redo it so I can post.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   

ive used stardock before..its great!

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Glad it's at least partially resolved. I would still seriously consider either rolling back or completely replacing the driver.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   

im trying to replace the driver...there has to be an update but im not sure what sound driver they want...it may be a problem that the speakers im using it sees as headphones...but since its sort of working...im afraid to touch anything haha

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Check your sound devices in windows (for Win7 it'd be Control Ponel -> Hardware and Sound -> Sound). See which device is currently set as default. Make sure your speakers are set as default. Incase you don't see them there, right click a sound device and make sure show disabled devices is checked.

If it does appear, and is already set as default, check what type of driver it uses (On the bottom of the name it should say something like "Realtek High Definition Audio". Go to the website and find the drivers to download there.

Or go to your device manager (found in control panel), and click on sound. I suggest right clicking every single thing that appears there and click Update Driver Software.

If nothing works, or there is no update (if there is no update, I suggest going to the website of each driver/device), then somethings wrong with either the computer, or the device itself...

Other then that, I suggest getting a PC with Win7 next time!
edit on 26-7-2014 by Kuroodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Kuroodo

haha thx...i did all you said earlier...it says everything is updated...apparently this is nothing new to 8.1...im coming across 100s of posts of the same problem with no one having a fix for it..in my particular situation...ive tried linux twice and found the most buggy of all operating systems but at least its free...i guess its apple next round!

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Do yourself a favor and turn your automatic updates and update prompts off. Only update if you absolutely must.

If it aint broken..

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join