It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the acceptable period of waiting time (or circumstances) for a thread bump by an OP?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Any topic on ATS runs the risk of losing exposure within hours or days if it is not picked up in 'recent' clicks or whatever, so I ask, is there any prescribed rule or 'social norm' that relates to 'bumping' topics?
I suppose I could spend some time on the ATS search engine to find out if it is in fact prescribed in T&C's, but I already use Google to search for ATS topics anyway, including "ATS" with my search term because the ATS search engine is so unreliable in my experience.
I imagine many topics are missed because ATS search didn't take the questioner to the appropriate place.

I also wonder how many topics wither and die on the vine when a 'bump' could have been at the right time for the right person reading it at the right time?

*Edit*
I shall bump this very topic tomorrow after work if I am still searching for some guidance from mods or admins lol
edit on 24-7-2014 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

originally posted by: masqua
If there's new information to add or a question left unanswered, there's nothing wrong with bumping an old thread back into the light, no matter how old.

Just adding a post saying nothing but 'bump' would likely be removed as 'off topic'.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
www.abovetopsecret.com...

originally posted by: masqua
[...]or a question left unanswered[...]

My thoughts exactly.
A post as lazy as "Bump" would also be unacceptable to me.
I'm asking about bumps that are a legitimate question and providing another hour or so of exposure in the 'recent' click option.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I resurrect old threads all of the time- particularly if they contain a lot of meaningful information.

It's nice to keep things compact in one place.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: loam
I also have no concerns giving rebirth to a topic someone else has written if I have something to contribute to it.
I am asking what is the currently known and/or previously discussed ATS rules framework which a topic author may (or may not) have to work within?

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
In my opinion (having not reading the T&C's as its more fun to get corrected by the mods as you go)
My opinion is that its entirely up to you
Its your thread and you represent yourself.
If you feel guilty about it, then your telling yourself its too soon.
It may not be, but for you it is.
Me, I'm a shameless self bumper and bumper of threads that I like that don't seem to get the attention I think they deserve.
Jus saying
X

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Dunno .. just put them out and leave it to chance how they go .. often its lead ballon on my threads ..

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

" BUMP " is the last refuge of an attention seeker

if your thread didn't get any replies - get over it and move on

" bump " is not required

threads in my subscribe list have been resurrected from as early as 2004 by people who found them and had the urge to comment - no " bump " required

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 06:18 AM
link   
On really slow days I've gone back over threads that are years and years old and bumped them. There are some awesome topics that have come through here years ago and the new people haven't seen them. So I've done the *bump* thing.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Bump

To soon?

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
" BUMP " is the last refuge of an attention seeker

if your thread didn't get any replies - get over it and move on

That may be the case for some 'attention seekers' as you claim, but your attempt to attribute a generalised personality trait to anyone who bumps a thread is tragically incorrect.

I have created topics which attracted many replies, and one that didn't even get a single comment. I have never bumped a topic of my own. I had nothing I needed to 'get over', as you appear to assert my question in this OP indicates.

The motivation behind my interest in rules and/or etiquette regarding bumping a topic is to see if it acceptable to do so when an author feels the subject may be important enough to help others notice the content it relates to.
So, after making incorrect assertions about personality traits, and advising that bumping is not 'required', I note you haven't actually answered my question in the OP asking is there any prescribed rule or 'social norm' that relates to 'bumping' topics? I thank you for your less than helpful contribution to this topic.

*** To everyone else who has replied here, thanks for the interesting and mature comments, and to Xcouncil=wisdom, thanks for making me chuckle with your 'bump' here, lol

new topics

top topics

join