It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death Of Fun: State Legislators Express “Grave Concern” Over Pop-Up Beer Gardens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Two Democrats and two Republicans from Philadelphia have decided that, instead of using their time as elected officials working on gang violence, over crowded and closing schools, or city infrastructure issues, they'll instead spend their time trying to close down pop up beer gardens in the city. These four politicians have 'grave concern' over pop up beer gardens .... gardens which do not break the law and that are delightful places to go during the summer in the city. So much for brotherly love in the city of brotherly love. I wonder if they tried to get dances cancelled at their schools because they couldn't get dates.

Legislators express grave concern over pop up beer gardens

Because they apparently didn’t have anything better to do with their time, four state legislators–John Taylor, R-Philadelphia, Paul Costa, D-Allegheny, and state Sens. Chuck McIlhinney, R-Bucks, and Jim Ferlo, D-Allegheny–sent a letter to the PLCB on Thursday expressing their “grave concern” over the loophole allowing a whole bunch of restaurants and bars to open temporary-but-kinda-sorta-permanent pop-up beer gardens around Philly.

Their problem with it? That these no-good scofflaws are circumventing the spirit of the law (though not, it should be HUGELY noted, the actual law itself) in a brazen attempt at bringing a little brightness (and booze) to the city at a time when, obviously, what we all want is for it to be more grim and draconian. Because mobs of adults drinking beer in the sun is obviously just the first step on a slippery slope which will inevitably end with happiness and a more vibrant, fun city. And who wants that?

edit on 7/22/2014 by FlyersFan because: fixed link

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Oh, I'm sorry officer, I didn't MEAN to have fun, it just happened on accident, I swear, I won't let fun happen again.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Goes against the regime to have fun .. the serfs are only allowed to work and sleep .. beyond that anything else is unaccaptable to the state ..

Theyre getting more idiotic with the laws over there every day ..

Would expect something like that from is .. guess life in amerika will be same as life in the caliphate with idiotic laws like that being proposed..

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Can't have anything that strengthens people's sense of community...

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Ha! maybe Philadelphia should work on closing down it's "Crack Gardens" prior to working on the Beer Gardens... Have Philadelphia's politicians even been to Philadelphia lol, lol

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Gosh, I thought it was only Republicans who wanted to legislate their morality?

I guess people should wake up ... ALL government is the problem, and when they get bored they ALL look for ways to try to "save" us from ourselves.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 06:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Republicans want to legislate morality and democrats want a nanny state.
The two work well together in closing down summer beer gardens in the city.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

originally posted by: ketsuko

Republicans want to legislate morality and democrats want a nanny state.
The two work well together in closing down summer beer gardens in the city.

Exactly, it amounts to the same thing, and it constantly amazes me how many people are blind to it, on both sides.

Kansas, a supposedly red state, has been wrecked by it between the do-gooder RINOs and the nanny-stater blues. Say what you will about the state of Misery, er, Missouri it is still a little more free than Kansas.
edit on 22-7-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I loved the beer gardens in Munich.

People go there on lunch break (a couple of hours, depending on the person) and set in the shade drinking giant mugs of excellent beer.

We just can't have nice things here, I guess.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Beer gardens are awesome! Shame on these politicians. What are they twelve? "If I can't have fun (cause I'm a miserable @(%# ) then you can't either!"

I remember a few years ago for Thai New Year they shut down part of sunset blvd in Los Angeles (in thai town) put up beer gardens and had a mauy thai ring in the middle of the street where the local mauy thai schools were having a friendly tournament. Plus all the local thai restaurants had stalls set up so there was all the delicious grub you could want. It was awesome!

Beer gardens are great for the community. Don't drink alone! Go to a beer garden to get blitzed.

top topics

join