It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The coming atomic age..for Quantum Computers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Data �Repair Kit� for Quantum Computers

A practical method for automatically correcting data-handling errors in quantum computers has been developed and demonstrated by physicists at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST).
Described in the Dec. 2, 2004, issue of the journal Nature, the NIST work is the first demonstration of all the steps of error correction for quantum computers, a futuristic, potentially very powerful form of computing that uses the quantum properties of atoms or other particles as 1s and 0s for processing data. The method was implemented using ions (electrically charged atoms) as quantum bits (qubits). Ions are arguably the leading candidate for use as qubits in a quantum computer.

www.nist.gov...

Also the coming atomic age..
Unveiled recently before a group of true believers in bottom-up molecular assembly (as opposed to products such as stain-free pants and carbon nanotube tennis rackets being sold as "nanotechnology"), the partly finished "Productive Nanosystems: From Molecules to Superproducts" is meant, in part, to show that all this talk of futuristic-sounding molecular manufacturing is capable of producing a real product, too -- someday.
The product: "A billion-processor laptop computer," Drexler says, built atom by atom on a contraption that looks, at least in the animation, a bit like your average office copy machine......

www.techcentralstation.com...

Computational Nanotechnology: The emerging ability to economically arrange atoms in most of the ways permitted by physical law will revolutionize manufacturing. This will broaden the theoretical and computational aspects of molecular nanotechnology, and some of the wider implications. Topics include a brief survey of basic physics and chemistry relevant to molecular machines, issues in the design and development of such machines and some proposals, and possible applications to (for example) computers, materials, medicine, space, etc...

This is come a long way from the gecko's toe through the deep vision of J.Van Der Waals,whowas a Dutch scientist famous "for his work on the equation of state for gases and liquids", for which he won a Nobel Prize in 1910. Van der Waals interactions are observed in nobel gases, which are very stable and tend not to interact, that is why it is difficult to condence them into liquids. However, the larger the molecule of the noble gas (the more electrons it has), the easier it is to condense the gas into a liquid.

[edit on 2-12-2004 by Horus_Re]

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Horus_Re, I know you are looking foward to this technology and frankely so am I, but we need to consider alot of issues before we allow this to be released to the general public. The top issue with this technology is that it would render almost all forms of encryption obsolete so that mean finantial transactions will not be secure. It could potentially develope consiousness if we put in neural networking code into the QC and that could be a good thing or a bad thing, its all in how we go about it.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Horus_Re, I know you are looking foward to this technology and frankely so am I, but we need to consider alot of issues before we allow this to be released to the general public. The top issue with this technology is that it would render almost all forms of encryption obsolete so that mean finantial transactions will not be secure. It could potentially develope consiousness if we put in neural networking code into the QC and that could be a good thing or a bad thing, its all in how we go about it.

Recently I read an article about the new docu on disocery chan..the one where they brought Hitler ,Churchill etc back to life with the new CGI tech..an analyst said that it too was a very controvercial tool and dangerous at that it's so good that people might missuse it for constructing faulse alabies,creating even films with the actors in debatable situations and then sue..all sorts of fraud...etc ,etc...
So what we do??? trash the tech or work on ways to prevent such abuse..after all it's what drives us to develop new tech..challange...

What the nano tech can do to benefit all mankind,in the fields of medicine etc...should outweigh any financial fraud..and I think the big banks would fight back to protect their interests and in itself bring around better seciure tech....no ???..and I don't think this tech will soon come in the hands of the
General public anyways...

Nox

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

GOOD.
Just because a few paranoid rich corporations think it'll ruin their encryptions doesn't mean we should delay it.

First of all, I heard of this before, and a lot of people make the false assumption that quantum computers automatically guarantee the miraculous P=NP algorithm. That's simply not true.
QC will simply be able to solve NP problems (which current methods of encryption use/abuse) faster than any conventional computers ever can (possibly in P time).

However, with the advent of QComputing, we'll have much more advanced encryption method. Hell, we already have OTP, which is "unbreakable" even by QComputers.

Besides, this'll be good for engineers like me. Perhaps I might switch to being a cryptographer
... just get myself a few patents.

EDIT: TYPO

[edit on 3-12-2004 by Nox]

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 05:17 PM
link   
id like to see this implimented. cryptography will catch up, if only by necessity. we cant sacrifice ultimate computing power for a false claim.

horus' thing is fascinating. i hadnt heard of this, i think its amazing. theres a lot of room for, as you siad, crime, but the ability to recreate a working model of someone is priceless. think of the learning capability, the knowledge being spread, the chatting ability, everything! truly revolutionary

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Nox, how would you feel if some 12 yr h@x0r, hacked yours and 1,000,000 other bank accounts with this? It's not the Big Instustries i'm worried about its the little guys like you and me. BTW I do not think the QC is a bad thing! I think it will probably be the best thing since the net to tell you the truth. I'm not sure if this is true but I heard that with a QC you could accurately render every single person on the planet. Is this true? If it is just imagine what types of games will be available to this thingy.:drool:

Nox

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I wasn't aware the QComputers would be made commercial so soon considering that not even upper level gov't institutions use them.

They're still being developed.

Why I'm so eager to push them ahead is because I think not enough funds are going into this kind of research. Not many big corporations care. Intel and AMD already invested too much into traditional silicon processors (enough for several more years at least).

It's the same with CNT and other technologies. The steel industry probably doesn't care much for CNT.

In the USA, for research to be quick and successful, it needs to catch the interest of a corporation or two.

This is why, when you mentioned that QCs could put current methods of financial transactions (and other events relying on cryptography) in jeopardy, I immediately assumed you were worried about the effects QCs would have on Big Industries (banking, software companies, etc).

I don't think we need to worry about "12 yr h@x0rs" because before (way waaay before) these things become commercial, they'll be used by the gov't, military, and (maybe much later) larger corporations. Any irresponsible misuse would be dealt by the corporation and gov't themselves. "But what if those corporations and gov'ts are corrupt?" Well, what are we doing right now about them? Haha.

You have to remember that by the time a 12 yr h@x0r has one of these babies a BANK will obviously be using one too. It would be using much more advanced ciphers designed for QCs (so that 12 yr h@x0r had better luck next time). Current ciphers are already developed (before QCs have been made available
). After finishing my own work this weekend, I'll see if I can't talk to one of the professors I work under (he's one of the ones on the forefront of this technology) and see if there is any documentation I can make public.

What you hear about a QC being able to render every single person on the planet being able to be rendered, if you mean just the outer appearance like a SIMs version of a human, then yes, it's easily done with QCs.

Quantum computers use qubits instead of bits, which means that they hold 4 states of information instead of the standard 0 and 1 states that a bit holds.

How does this help? Well consider 1 byte which is 8 bits. For 8 bits of information, you'd only need 2 qubits. Consider also that we are essentially only using 1 hydrogen atom for each QUBIT rather than a sizeable chunk of a magnetic drive for each BIT.

Consider again that QC memory isn't like the conventional magnetic drive in the EM fields can be used/abused to introduce operators (think... near-simultaneous bit masking) that we couldn't even dream of using standard bits.

This enormous amount of storage is nothing new. They could have done this for CNT hard drives too. An article I read a couple of years ago claimed that CNT the size of a sugar-cube could store the entire library of congress in it. That's not hard to believe considering that it can be read all over the net that a DNA strand or two is speculated to be able to store the Library of Congress in.

The gov't just needs to either fund this stuff, or get corporations to care about it (hehe, as if the steel industry would like to help out the research and development of mass production techs for CNT
).

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 07:31 PM
link   
What is a Quantum Computer?

Behold your computer. Your computer represents the culmination of years of technological advancements beginning with the early ideas of Charles Babbage (1791-1871) and eventual creation of the first computer by German engineer Konrad Zuse in 1941. Surprisingly however, the high speed modern computer sitting in front of you is fundamentally no different from its gargantuan 30 ton ancestors, which were equipped with some 18000 vacuum tubes and 500 miles of wiring! Although computers have become more compact and considerably faster in performing their task, the task remains the same: to manipulate and interpret an encoding of binary bits into a useful computational result. A bit is a fundamental unit of information, classically represented as a 0 or 1 in your digital computer. Each classical bit is physically realized through a macroscopic physical system, such as the magnetization on a hard disk or the charge on a capacitor. A document, for example, comprised of n-characters stored on the hard drive of a typical computer is accordingly described by a string of 8n zeros and ones. Herein lies a key difference between your classical computer and a quantum computer. Where a classical computer obeys the well understood laws of classical physics, a quantum computer is a device that harnesses physical phenomenon unique to quantum mechanics (especially quantum interference) to realize a fundamentally new mode of information processing.

In a quantum computer, the fundamental unit of information (called a quantum bit or qubit), is not binary but rather more quaternary in nature. This qubit property arises as a direct consequence of its adherence to the laws of quantum mechanics which differ radically from the laws of classical physics. A qubit can exist not only in a state corresponding to the logical state 0 or 1 as in a classical bit, but also in states corresponding to a blend or superposition of these classical states. In other words, a qubit can exist as a zero, a one, or simultaneously as both 0 and 1, with a numerical coefficient representing the probability for each state. This may seem counterintuitive because everyday phenomenon are governed by classical physics, not quantum mechanics -- which takes over at the atomic level. This rather difficult concept is perhaps best explained through an experiment.

www.cs.caltech.edu...

Behold The Holy Grail Of Computers...

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I believe at least one advanced quantum computer exists on Earth and has existed since at least 1981. Most people are trapped in a socialized bubble having been deceived by their public information sources. All ability for the layman to rationalize advanced technology is based on information which has no practical applicability.

I assume this system is being used to restructure society for posthuman existence. Can you imagine a corporation monetizing the technological singularity? I can and it would be harmful to the spiritual development of humanity. Private interests based on the pleasure-pain principle would corrupt this technology. No need to look further than the entertainment industry and advertising to understand what I mean. Things are going to change dramatically for humanity; the old way of life will cease to exist and that includes the current economy. I believe every accessible mind is being accessed by this machine to create some vision of a transcendant society. However, I believe transcendence is not possible without divine revelation since this technology has been and is being grossly abused. I view the capstone of the pyramid with the "all-seeing" eye disengaging into the atmosphere and causing a torrent of lightning from its apex as an allegory of this system's ability to read each accessible individual's mind.

My personal account: I have been experiencing daily overt manipulation by this system since 2006. I believe it to be a quantum computer with strong AI located in a deep underground military base which uses electromagnetic radiation through a satellite constellation for techlepathy and mind control. I believe it uses advanced signal processing and quantum entanglement (something like quantum radar) to interact with systems at neuronal (at least) spatial and temporal resolution. It could also be technology not based on current physical laws; either way it exists and is being used by a secret branch of government.
Here is some background information: Military AI Supercomputer Mind Monitoring: What I have learned
Technological Singularity

[edit on 1-1-2009 by tmk81]

top topics

join