It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I want to learn the violin and need suggestions on a beginner instrument.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
I spent over a year shopping for my ideal guitar. I ended up paying about $1500, very fair price, to have one custom built to my specs. I sleep with it some nights when I'm lonely.

That is a sweet guitar!! Very nice. Hey I dated a bass player for almost 5yrs and he might as well have slept with his! He loved those instruments BUT he was a great bass player. He was in a KISS cover band and he was Gene Simmons, his idol and they would get in FULL costume and perform. It was awesome!

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
Oh and good luck OP it is a great instrument when you get the hang of it hard hard work Oh and this thread has made me remember my favourite word ever.

Pizzicato.

en.wikipedia.org...

Just love the sound of that word.

Thank you!! Sounds Italian and when I clicked the link, yup it's Italian.

When I played clarinet I was very serious about it and would always challenge others players in class. lol I was a bit competitive you could say. I am not really one of those who will pick up something esp an instrument and not take it seriously.

When my husband told me to find something for me to do, since I don't work I get stir crazy at times. I love being home with my son but I need something that is for me. I wanted to do art but it just wasn't possible with the availability of classes and esp cost of supplies on a constant basis. I actually came across something in my youtube account and it dawned on me I could totally take up the violin! I play my clarinet for my son and why not learn something new? I can practice at home, none of my neighbors are home during the day!!
So bonus for practice time.

I am excited actually because I always liked this instrument and now I am going to take the step and learn. I will post vids in the future when I know what the heck I'm doing lol

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: CloudsTasteMetallic

originally posted by: skunkape23
My first advice, as a seasoned musician, is to get a good instrument. There are few things that discourage musical development more than a poor instrument. A good violin may cost a little more, but a piece of junk will just be an unplayable waste of money.

This is so true. Been playing guitar/bass/mandolin for half my life now. A quality instrument makes a world of difference. Recently decided to take up drums as well, but.. i am rather fond of my old beat up cheap-o kit (well, other than the crap cheap cymbals it came with). New heads and proper tuning brought them to life.

I found violin very challenging the few times i've picked one up. That neck is tiny! Habits developed in playing only fretted instruments probably didn't help though.

Does it help I'm tiny too
hehe

@mblahnikluver, you mention there are local groups around? I'd highly recommend introducing yourself to some locals who have experience and express your desire to learn. Someone should be more than happy to assist you in shopping for an instrument, and letting you know what to look for/avoid.

Yes I contacted one yesterday online to inquire about lessons and stuff like that. I know from past experience the music industry here is very friendly but I don't know anyone at this point in time in them so it will be new for me again. I know we have two local playing areas where concerts happen quite often. I am going to check out one when my son takes his nap and see what local performances they have coming up that i can attend in the evening and my mom can watch my son. I will also go to the music store I went to all those years when I played clarinet, they are still around! They were always very helpful when I went in there.

Personally, when it comes to buying guitars, I'll try a bunch out until I find the one that just feels right. Some have mojo, and some don't, even if they look identical to the eye.

Not sure how much this would affect violin in comparison to fretted instruments, but a proper "set-up" job from an experienced music store should make a massive difference in playability/tone.
I want to find someone to question them about the strings and the bow. I was reading that those should be of certain quality and well I am not sure which one to go with since there are so many and many have great ratings! I swear there is a lot more to a violin than my clarinet but so far I'm enjoying the search and research.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs

originally posted by: ChefSlug
I always like picking up music instruments and messing around with them. I saw a tv episode, I forget what show, and saw a blue violin. I googled it and bought one immediately. It only cost $50 and it holds a note well. It's a good beginner instrument. As long as it's a 4/4 you should be fine with any beginner violin imo.
Blue Violin

The longer i look at it and the price tag the more im tempted - if it sucks, or i suck with it, i can just hang it on the wall!!!!

Haha I was thinking the same thing! I like the teal one! I remember wanting a blue clarinet in high school but our band director refused to let us have colored instruments.

I'd pay more than that for a nice picture!

Me too AND I have a music wall already. I may just buy one on the side just because it is so cheap and it would actually look really good with the music wall I have. I have a wall with my Nana's sheet music from the 1900s-1940s. There is so much color in them so one of these would make a nice accent piece

edit on 7/21/2014 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

Oh it would have to be in the green/teal/turq whatever that colour is.

The black looks pretty cool too.

Hmmm, cant really afford to splash, but under 40 quid for everything you need? Uber tempted, damn you internet.

This is why i cant play on steam any more, DAMN YOU ALL ALLURING THINGS!!!!!

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

If you have tiny fingers, that will help a ton. In my limited experience, the distance between notes on the neck is super small. Intonation is key, as even having a finger a few millimeters off will be a sour note.

Sounds like you're on the right track! And most musicians will do anything possible to help someone else get involved with our life's passion. I swear, it's like my therapy. Who needs a shrink when you can pound on some drums for a few hours a week?

But yeah, just reach out to your local music community, there's sure to be someone to point you in the right direction. Maybe the folks at your former music store even remember you.

Another thing to consider though, is to maybe keep your options open, and make sure it's the right instrument for you before jumping right in. Have you considered a viola, cello, or something similar perhaps?

Wish I could help you out more in regards to strings and bows. What I meant by a "set up" though, is there are adjustments that can be made at the nut and bridge to improve playability and tone. It's worked wonders on "pawn shop special" guitars back when I was younger. It's pretty much a one-time investment, for guitars its only in the 25-50 dollar range.

Good to hear that you enjoy learning about it, its quite a different beast than a woodwind. You'll also need to eventually look into getting a pitch pipe or electric tuner of some kind, unless you have a piano or something similar to get a good reference note from to tune each string to.

Best of luck on your journey!

edit on 7212014 by CloudsTasteMetallic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I would suggest a cremona violin. Not the cheapest model . And a $12 clip on digital tuner.
Once you figure out where all the notes are on the strings you just have to practice finger work
www.amazon.com... ir=1

edit on 21-7-2014 by dashen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
bought one.

Arrives tomorrow.

40 quid for everything, damnit what have i done

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs
bought one.

Arrives tomorrow.

40 quid for everything, damnit what have i done

you will be fiddling on rooftops in no time

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: mblahnikluver
a reply to: ThinkingCap

Hey TC! Long time no chat
Hope all is well with you!

I will spend up to $300. I have a couple months to look and get ideas so it's nothing i"m buying immediately. I get some play money in October and I decided to do something for me for once!

I don't mind used either.

Likewise, it made me smile to see you were the author of this thread! I've been very good, living in New Zealand as a part time dental assistant and full time musician- life is very exciting and interesting right now!

Regarding your violin, I did an initial amazon search and was surprised at what I had found. If you type in "Stradivarius" into the search tab, and then search instruments--- you will find quite a lot of great options as well as reviews for entry level instruments.
Though I must stress this to keep in mind: The more money you can put into an instrument, the easier it is going to be to play. It can be very frustrating when the strings are very far from the fretboard.
That said, I think for 300 you can get yourself something very fun to start out with.

Violin options via Amazon

^ My final suggestion is to avoid getting the violins that are under 200 dollars for all those reasons I stated above. The others look surprisingly good though for their price!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join