It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homebrewers - have you used Mosaic (or any other high-alpha) hops?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Made a batch on Sunday and the guy from the LHBS suggested adding .5 oz of the Mozaic @ 15 mins and the rest at flame-out. I actually messed up a bit and wound up doing 1oz Saaz for 60, .5 oz of Mosaic @ 45 and .5 at flame-out. I'm not too concerned though.

What's been your experience with that hop? It smelled delicious btw. The brew I made is a Pale Ale with Rahr 2-row (Pale), Briesse Pale and a little bit of 10L Crystal added for fun.

edit on 16-7-2014 by TXRabbit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: TXRabbit

Sounds like it should be a tasty ale. I use Rahr 2-row exclusively, but have not tried Mosaic hops. I grow Cascade and Nugget and sometimes use a few others i.e. Simcoe, but have been meaning to branch out a little. I get so big a harvest out of 10 hills that I still have vacuum packed bags in the freezer from 4 years ago, can't use 'em fast enough.

Just did a little reading up on Mosaic... sounds very interesting!
edit on 7/16/2014 by wtbengineer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: wtbengineer

I'd be happy to take some of those bags off of your hands :-)
Are you really in Gettysburg? I'm from Hbg originally. I've been thinking about trying to grow hops down here in TX but not sure about the climate. It's not as wet as up there and get's much hotter but isn't nearly as humid

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: TXRabbit

I tried to reply to you earlier but my computer froze up. Now I've been drinking a bit... well, I've been working on some stuff out in the garage after I picked a bunch of hops. I'd send you some, no problem, but I don't know how they'd do in the mail. I guess they'd be Ok, it's just they're better kept frozen. I picked a half a trash bag of Cascade hops tonight but the Nugget aren't doing so well this year. I got a few, but they haven't produced so much this year. I thought it was going to be a good year for them because they started out strong really early, but I haven't gotten any cones from them yet to speak of.

I hope to get some later in the season because they have a lot of the early buds going now, I forget what you call them at the moment, I'm kind of drunk and I have to get up early...

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 12:41 AM
link   
The later you add the hops the more flavor and aroma you get. Flame out is mostly aroma. 15 is more flavor. The longer in the boil the more buttering notes you will get. So it's an issue of preference and if you like the hops for bittering- the high alpha compliments this- I'd you like the flavor or the aroma. I don't think I have used mossaac but I love ipas. I hope it tastes great

new topics

top topics

join