It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Latest Snowden Release: JTRIG is 4chan on Steroids

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: ATODASO.

Obviously, with all the malware, viri and exploitation tools being used by JTRIG, it stands to reason that ALL of the antivirus companies like Norton, McAfee, AVG, etc and firewalls produced in both hardware (Cisco, etc) and software (Zone Alarm) formats, are all involved. Otherwise, these wee beasties would have been proclaimed as being found "in the wild."

I can just imagine all of the little goodies we don't know about in Ipad and Android phones.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: criticalhit

Like life, all you can do is educate yourself and be wary of being a joiner and take the individual arguments for their intellectual value and do your own homework.....

relevant username, cause that point totally critted. i'm not the sharpest bulb in the pack, but even i can see the results of this crap put into play, and recognize that the us/uk aren't the only players in the game. enough people start to look at social media, netsec, and global politics through those lenses, and the tricks won't work.

like herd immunity.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: avenged10fold
a reply to: ATODASO

I wish Snowden would tell us something we didn't already know.

Him and assange are plants.

I forget does that mean they are a couple of plants, or a few?

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   

[I forget does that mean they are a couple of plants, or a few? ]

This reply is to ATODASO so ignore what it says above, which includes a post I made earlier (in the brackets) which should not be there, but the above is the only text I have been given using the ATS 'quote' button for ATODASO's original reply to avenged10fold.
But to add to ATODASO's original reply, there is also another spying exercise called,
SWAMP DONKEY: A tool that will silently locate all predefined types of file and encrypt them on a targets machine.
If SWAMP DONKEY, is an available tool, can anyone not see how far this goes? It is the ability to plant falsehood evidence pure and simple.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ATODASO

well, bud, it might be the molsen talking, but let's entertain the idea that snowden and greenwald (at least) are mouthpieces for the entities they're releasing info about. why the hell would intel agencies do that?

could be a lot of reasons. maybe since a lot of these tools are already in use by other state and private entities, getting on top of the public response to their disclosure makes good sense.

could be that state and corporate interests have merged to the point that unilateral surveillance and manipulation of large groups just makes good business sense.

or, snowden and assange are in someone else's pocket, and that same someone spams the internet with pro-snowden messages to turn the screws.

i dunno. i think it's just good to try and spot these toys in use in the wild if you can, because they undoubtedly exist.

Fear. You can't be afraid if you don't know what to be afraid of. I recall some information coming out that the information access that Snowden had was just the tip of the iceberg. That his clearance didn't give him access to the things that would be more damning and shocking.

Given that, just the amount and type of information he is releasing is enough to scare most. It's also enough to make those that have "fight" in them paranoid to some degree - thereby weakening them.

So, why would they use them as patsy mouthpieces?
1. Fear
2. Paranoia
3. Control, relying on #1 and #2

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 02:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle
a reply to: ATODASO.

Obviously, with all the malware, viri and exploitation tools being used by JTRIG, it stands to reason that ALL of the antivirus companies like Norton, McAfee, AVG, etc and firewalls produced in both hardware (Cisco, etc) and software (Zone Alarm) formats, are all involved. Otherwise, these wee beasties would have been proclaimed as being found "in the wild."

I can just imagine all of the little goodies we don't know about in Ipad and Android phones.

Cheers - Dave

This is true, a few things in the OP sound super scary but can actually be done by 'us' too.

Like you say though, I have no idea what's going on on my phone half the time, for that reason I use it for basic messaging and web surfing, add in the fact I've literally nothing to hide (I know people hate that and I do too but it is true) but my android phone (note 3) feels very much like a a tracking device.

My thoughts on the list

“Change outcome of online polls” (UNDERPASS) - With enough people/accounts, purely psychological this one
“Mass delivery of email messaging to support an Information Operations campaign” (BADGER) - no
“mass delivery of SMS messages to support an Information Operations campaign” (WARPARTH) - NO
“Disruption of video-based websites hosting extremist content through concerted target discovery and content removal.” (SILVERLORD) NO, but I've seen services that offer to get peoples videos removed off youtube, it just takes a bunch of accounts to start flagging it and its done.
“Active skype capability. Provision of real time call records (SkypeOut and SkypetoSkype) and bidirectional instant messaging. Also contact lists.” (MINIATURE HERO) Contacts list on my phone I'm sure is comprimised
“Find private photographs of targets on Facebook” (SPRING BISHOP) This happens on this very website, when certain events happen, armchair detectives first site as a name comes up is Facebook
“A tool that will permanently disable a target’s account on their computer” (ANGRY PIRATE) I've seen Hacking software called RAT's that can # a computer up and/r monitor the computer screen in real time. Also if you want to protect your computer it's best you learn what viruses and worms can actually do
“Ability to artificially increase traffic to a website” (GATEWAY) You can pay for this type of service for your own website, generally a botet of fake accounts trickle on your webpage and raise the amount, too many and you start a DDOS
and “ability to inflate page views on websites” (SLIPSTREAM) same as above
“Amplification of a given message, normally video, on popular multimedia websites (Youtube)” (GESTATOR) The Kony video springs to mind
“Targeted Denial Of Service against Web Servers” (PREDATORS FACE) Mentioned this a couple up, private citizens can do this, highly illegal but super easy to learn, generally just a few button clicks once set up.
“Distributed denial of service using P2P. Built by ICTR, deployed by JTRIG” (ROLLING THUNDER) got to be honest I'd need more info on this one
“A suite of tools for monitoring target use of the UK auction site eBay (www.ebay.co.uk)” (ELATE) Not even sure why ebay needs to be monitored, if this is true they probably monitor it more than EBAY actually do
“Ability to spoof any email address and send email under that identity” (CHANGELING) if it's just sending emails from a spoofed address, there are websites online you can do this with now, back in the day it was a little harder
“For connecting two target phone together in a call” (IMPERIAL BARGE) another strange one

edit on 16-7-2014 by Taggart because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 02:21 AM
link   

I agree.

This is a no-brainer. If they weren't plants, they would have been stopped in their tracks from the start. Does anyone really believe that TPTB would let a 29-year-old man jeopardise everything they've achieved over decades?

As soon as they start talking about the 9/11 cover-up (which many of us DO know about), I will change my mind. Don’t expect to see this though.

soulwaxer

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I don't put much stock into what snowden says.
He doesn't reveal anything that we don't already know except for these silly codenames.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 02:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Taggart

“For connecting two target phone together in a call”

Is this when two lines cross? This happens by accident sometimes. Suddenly another party is on your line. It might in fact work like a party line?

I once picked up my landline to make a call and this gay guy was jabbering away to a girl about bread machines. How is partner loved the aroma in the morning. It was hilarious!
I also used to have a party line phone. You share the line with others. Need to tell them to get off so you can have a turn. You each have your own phone number of course.

So yes I can see it if they cross lines.

They could also make your incoming calls be forwarded to another number.

edit on 16-7-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 04:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: violet

“For connecting two target phone together in a call”

Is this when two lines cross? This happens by accident sometimes. Suddenly another party is on your line. It might in fact work like a party line?

I once picked up my landline to make a call and this gay guy was jabbering away to a girl about bread machines. How is partner loved the aroma in the morning. It was hilarious!
I also used to have a party line phone. You share the line with others. Need to tell them to get off so you can have a turn. You each have your own phone number of course.

So yes I can see it if they cross lines.

They could also make your incoming calls be forwarded to another number.

I see, I had no idea of any of that type of thing 'party line'
The last part definitely makes sense.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 06:41 AM
link   

There surveillance capabilities and techniques they employ are draconian beyond belief.

Makes the stuff that transpires in Orwells 1984 look almost palatable.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: soulwaxer

I agree.

This is a no-brainer. If they weren't plants, they would have been stopped in their tracks from the start. Does anyone really believe that TPTB would let a 29-year-old man jeopardise everything they've achieved over decades?

As soon as they start talking about the 9/11 cover-up (which many of us DO know about), I will change my mind. Don’t expect to see this though.

soulwaxer

Well, you can say what you think, but if I was Assange, I think I'd take the Mars trip, rather than be holed up in an Embassy persona non grata, and don't forget Assange isn't a spy. What he did was to openly call for whistleblowers anon, conversely Snowden was employed as a spy, and saw things had gone too far, especially that SWAMP DONKEY method.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: violet
I don't put much stock into what snowden says.
He doesn't reveal anything that we don't already know except for these silly codenames.

I was going to say he and the reporters he feeds are at least bringing this stuff into mainstream spotlights.

This is all old stuff to anyone who has been paying attention but most people by a huge margin are not paying attention and of those who are fewer have the technical understanding to really grasp what it and has been going on.

But then I started wondering why even after all the mainstream coverage there is relatively little to no outrage from the mainstream audience. Sure, we're pissed. But we've been pissed all along. Way before Snowden's "leaks."

Grandma, soccer mom and the Facebooking tweens still don't care.

So then who is the target audience for this info? We already knew. Government spying isn't a revelation. From Black Chamber to Minaret to Echelon anyone with any awareness at all knows the government is up your ass 24/7.

So in the end the minority will feel some sense of vindication as in "See, I was right!" but then be ultimately let down by a complete lack of action and the majority will go on simply not caring about any of this.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Several of those have been doable for years now by anyone..

- Mass delivery of email messaging ( ie. spam )
- Mass delivery of SMS ( ie. sms spam )
- Tool to disable target's account ( there have been several over the years )
- Artificially increase traffic to a website ( this is old school and still widely practiced in blackhat seo )
- Amplification of a given message? I'm assuming artificially increase video views.. if so.. ( old school blackhat seo )
- Targetted Denial of Service ... as a systems admin of a web server.. I know this happens a lot and anyone can do it if you know the tools to leverage a botnet
- Ability to spoof any email and send under that identity ... ( really? you could do that since email was invented )

Seriously, most of these capabilities are things any script kiddie could do without trying... only a couple in that excerpt that I'm not so sure about... yes it's disturbing that our government would be using script kiddie hacking on it's own population... but it's still hardly an impressive showing of technology since they are basically using what other hackers developed a long time ago.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Taggart

“Ability to spoof any email address and send email under that identity” (CHANGELING) if it's just sending emails from a spoofed address, there are websites online you can do this with now, back in the day it was a little harder
“For connecting two target phone together in a call” (IMPERIAL BARGE) another strange one

Actually back in the day it was even easier... now it might be a little trickier as mail servers implement more protections on outbound messaging.. ( I'm a systems admin since 1998 ) ..

In most cases this is still super simple.. you can do it in your own e-mail software by simply changing your e-mail address in outlook/thunderbird to whatever you want it to be... I could be [email protected] if I want .. it will send AS that.. I just won't get the reply.. smtp is one of the oldest internet protocols and is largely antique ... that's why it's so vulnerable to spam and spoofing.. Modern mail servers are still largely simple but with addons / patches you can add features to check outbound mail to make sure it's actually an address your server handles..

There's also now SPF which has a dreadfully low adoption rate so it's not very useful, but it's the sender policy framework.. if it had 100% adoption rate you could virtually eliminate all spoofing... SPF basically does a DNS query when mail comes in.. it looks at the domain you sent as ( ie. whitehouse.gov ) and gets a response to see if the IP address you're using is permitted to send as that domain.
edit on 7/16/2014 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Quote; don't change the laws, change the people. I guess you could suspect that Snowden is lying about the lire's but when something fits what your feeling, then its hard to deny someone like Snowden who tell you what you feel and want to hear.

Point being the "cubical shills " are prolific on every web site where anyone has an opinion about anything and wants to talk about it. In order for these programs that Snowden talks about to work, we as a people have to be susceptible to it....I'm just saying.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Are you using a smart phone, Android/Ipad? You might want to root your phone and change the OS and then add a firewall to it just to keep the less invasive tools out. I don't know if you read up on the Galaxy clones ($69) coming out of China however, they say it doesn't matter what you do to them, the spyware is built into the BIOS/Firmware apparently and cannot be removed they allege. Of course, that's kinda BS because you can always JTAG into these things and rape the firmware if you have to and know what you are doing. I have Android emulators (hardware design tools), so personally, I took my phone and rooted, changed the firmware and updated the OS to one that it wasn't supposed to be able to use. Then I added a firewall and Tor, and it gives me better control over what gets in and what goes out.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I still can't believe people are on the snowden hysteria still.

I agree that what he showed us was information that needed to be seen but the way it all went down is fishy to say the least.

You don't just get that kinda airtime on MSM in this day and age without the elite wanting you to see it.

Why would they allow the media outlets to praise him for there deeply coveted secrets being revealed? And yet do away with other whistle blowers. As we all know whistleblowers and truth speakers get treated like villains and traitors. Yet this guy gets the full hero treatment?

I believe what he released was true yet the intentions behind the info and himself smell like rotting fish.

This site is made for people to connect the dots and call B.S. So I call B.S. That's my two sense anyways

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   

4chan was never a group of hackers though, just the young and (often)socially inept.

the closest thing to hacking we did was mostly by getting or guessing people's poorly chosen passwords, or harassing people in an online game , or by downloading "LOIC"(Low Orbit Ion Cannon- name comes from Command and Conquer a video game) to DDoS a site by mass bombarding it with requests so it would shut down.

4chan was just dickery and trolling.

now 4chan.org/pol/, or /x/ are different places all together, they combine some of the worst aspects of this site; the baiting, the lies, the trolling, the butthurt, the copypasta

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

“Change outcome of online polls” (UNDERPASS)
2 methods. First is to hack the DB that the info is being stored in (unlikely) second is to bombard the site using a server farm w/ the post and result you want. Very easy to do.

“Mass delivery of email messaging to support an Information Operations campaign” (BADGER) and “mass delivery of SMS messages to support an Information Operations campaign” (WARPARTH)
Both of these things are common practice in enterprise development. Mass emailing and texting is used on a daily basis.

“Disruption of video-based websites hosting extremist content through concerted target discovery and content removal.” (SILVERLORD)
This would just be a web crawler to find the content. The actual "disruption" is very vague. There are a variety of simple methods to disrupt these, the easiest is just to suffocate them with dislike/thumb downs .

“Active skype capability. Provision of real time call records (SkypeOut and SkypetoSkype) and bidirectional instant messaging. Also contact lists.” (MINIATURE HERO)
Skype is not a secure VOIP network. It is easy to detect (it uses a p2p connection) and is relatively easy from a programmatic sense to monitor. Especially if you have a specific target.

“Find private photographs of targets on Facebook” (SPRING BISHOP)
Laughably easy to accomplish. Facebook really does only the bare minimum to make you think your content is safe, it's not. Anyone can view it if they so choose.

“A tool that will permanently disable a target’s account on their computer” (ANGRY PIRATE)
If by tool, you mean virus, sure. The other way is just to have physical access to the computer and delete that users account....

“Ability to artificially increase traffic to a website” (GATEWAY) and “ability to inflate page views on websites” (SLIPSTREAM)
Server farms can do this with ease. I could write a script in under an hour that could spam a server to do this. It's not exactly difficult.

“Amplification of a given message, normally video, on popular multimedia websites (Youtube)” (GESTATOR)
Inverse of the disruption technique, spam it with +'s or views. Again utilizing a server farm.

“Targeted Denial Of Service against Web Servers” (PREDATORS FACE) and “Distributed denial of service using P2P. Built by ICTR, deployed by JTRIG” (ROLLING THUNDER)
This is what 90% of the attacks on the web are. It's one of the simplest attacks, but also the primary one that every large company pays the hosting company to take care of. That said, a large enough attack and it can bring just about anything to a halt.

“A suite of tools for monitoring target use of the UK auction site eBay (www.ebay.co.uk)” (ELATE)
Not sure that I understand what this is supposed to do?

“Ability to spoof any email address and send email under that identity” (CHANGELING)
Give me an email and I'll send you an email from it. It literally takes about 5 minutes to write a script that will do this.

“For connecting two target phone together in a call” (IMPERIAL BARGE)
There have been prank website on the internet for years that do this. They both think the other called them and they record it for you, quite funny.

This is all rather .... lame.

Nothing to be afraid of, anyone with a modicum of programming knowledge could do any one of these in a short period of time.

The most time consuming of all of them is the skype one btw. Not necessarily difficult, just time consuming.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join